Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Question Any known water in oil issues on gp1800s ?

Any common problems with heads or oil coolers or anything related to water in oil or over pressurized crank case?

I have a 2017 gp1800 with all the common upgrades (power air filter, breather filter, ribbon delete, matunerX 1.5 flash 13/20 impeller, intake grate, ride plate, blow off valve, gps speedometer.) But she is not rode hard or raced very often. Mostly cruising 35-45 mph back and fourth between several hot spots on the local rivers. Also 75% fresh water 20% brackish, 5% or less in actual salt water. Now at approximately 95 hours.

I have had no signs of trouble, no loss of power, no alarms, no codes. Seem to be running absolutely perfect when i took out of the water last.(on a friday) went to go back on sunday walked outside pulled seat off and milky oily water in the bilge (coming from the breather filter hose (filter no longer there) milky oily water sprayed around the eng compartment. And milky oil on dipstick with rust spots? I dont know when or how it happend. I was completely thrown off. And i am not sure what to do......

Any help is greatly appreciated.... bi
    Last edited by Theotherchoad; 06-15-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Was the engine flushed after the Friday ride?

No signs of trouble under the seat after the ride?

+1
    No i did not flush after the friday ride because it was just a short 15-20 minutes to where i was going all fresh water and same back. Again just cruising. And i was supposed to put right back in the next morning. But something came up and i wasnt able to go untill the next day. So i never looked when i got home it was getting kinda late i just left the trailer hooked up and everything. But when i got ready to go sunday i was tring to give aquick once over before i headed back out and thats when i found it like this. I had the seat off when i filled up with gas before friday and did not notice anything. (Granted i didnt actually check the oil that day either.)

Also all other routine maintenance was done on time as it should be.

+1
    Well its not the oil cooler.....

I think you have either a crackhead or a blown head gasket. I think it’s slowly filled up with water and you did not know it until the water got too high and then when you got on it it blew all the water through the crank case blew your filter off. Do you check the oil before every ride?

+1
    Not every ride but pretty regular just to see if they need anything.

And after inspecting the cams and stuff it appears to be very recent.

+1
    Does anyone have any diagrams or images or illustrations that might show the oil and cooling system layouts?
    Namely all the spots they come in close contact with each other? Just looking for research before i actually pull the head.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotherchoad View Post
    Well its not the oil cooler.....
    How did you test it? I have been dealing with milky oil with used boat too.
    Dealer wants too much to test or I'll have to remove pump to be cheaper.
    10 Gallons to completely flush. One on left is new

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherchoad View Post
    Does anyone have any diagrams or images or illustrations that might show the oil and cooling system layouts?
    Namely all the spots they come in close contact with each other? Just looking for research before i actually pull the head.
    The manual has cooling

I'm hoping it doesn't come back. Running on hose tomorrow and flushing again to check for color.
    I don't want to think its the head or infamous cracks near valves.

Have you done leak down yet. If yes, could it be found with out removing intake cover. I can't get good readings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.52.41 AM.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	426.9 KB 
ID:	463278  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    Sounds like you might have a cracked cylinder head, my stage 2 did the same thing at 130 hours. After blocking off the exhaust and thermostat housing waterway passages with some homemade rubber strips and metal plates, I pressurized the head with air, then sprayed soapy water under the cams near the head bolts and it showed bubbles indicating a crack at 1st cylinder on exhaust side coming from head bolt towards valve seat area. Very hard to see without testing. Heads have also cracked at #1 cylinder but on intake side near the head bolt and the crack ends up leaking oil on the side of engine behind the chain tensioner casting boss but in this case it does not give milky water just oil in the hull.
    Not sure why this occurs, seems random. Nowadays I always allow the engine to reach full operating temp before any hard runs and after any aggressive riding I slow her down and let it idle for a few minutes, in theory this keeps water flowing through the cooling system, allowing the head to slowly cool down some. Seems to be working but time will tell, good luck!
    Last edited by jetdawg701; 06-18-2020 at 11:01 AM.

I replaced the head, head gasket, and pressure tested the oil cooler. I am planning to swap out the oil cooler even though it passed the pressure test. Any suggestions on what else could cause water in the oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information