Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    +1
    I been following all along and have to say Nice job !!!

You really gotta have a sense of accomplishment from what "was" - to where you are at now.

Curious how many hours was on the 1500cc engine - and you really didn't do anything extensive that I remember reading - except for clean up the head/valves/new springs/seals? Nothing to the bottom end like rings?

Also - not including your time - curious what the dollar amount you have invested (approximately)?

Lastly - wanted to ask about your "Nav Lights" is this a USCG requirement for vessels registered on the Island of Guam?

Let's see more pics !!!

PS - I also gotta add and certainly recognize that Sean - with his knowledge and experience on the STX-15F platform - must have been a big help in supporting your project.

Good Luck !!!

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    I been following all along and have to say Nice job !!!

You really gotta have a sense of accomplishment from what "was" - to where you are at now.

Curious how many hours was on the 1500cc engine - and you really didn't do anything extensive that I remember reading - except for clean up the head/valves/new springs/seals? Nothing to the bottom end like rings?

Also - not including your time - curious what the dollar amount you have invested (approximately)?

Lastly - wanted to ask about your "Nav Lights" is this a USCG requirement for vessels registered on the Island of Guam?

Let's see more pics !!!

PS - I also gotta add and certainly recognize that Sean - with his knowledge and experience on the STX-15F platform - must have been a big help in supporting your project.

Good Luck !!!
    Not sure exactly how many hours were on this engine. The bottom end looked very good though from a thorough visual inspection. Oil had probably been changed once I would say in the lifetime of the ski. Biggest issue was zero maintenance. The hull started off as an abandoned junker and needed a lot of work. Every part of this ski is actually parts of various skis. I parted out an STX prior to this one and also purchased a boat load of parts (pun intended). As to a dollar amount, let’s just say it was a good amount. The Ferrea valves were the single most costly item. As for the nav lights, uscg doesn’t have any real regulation here with that and we never even see them out on the water. They stay over on the navy base and don’t seem to ever get involved with private boats/fishermen. The local fire dept serves as the search and rescue if needed and not the uscg here. I’ve often found myself miles away from the marina at night on open ocean and a set of nav lights is crucial to keeping other boats from hitting me. Guam allows any boats with nav lights to go out at night. Since we have a lot of pop up tropical showers/storms visibility can drop super fast during the day also and a set of nav lights helps make me more visible in those conditions also. I think they are a good safety equipment whether or not the area you live in let’s you ride at night. I will say though riding at night on open ocean on a ski in a rainstorm is unnerving.
    Sean has been very helpful to the project. It’s unfortunate though that this section of the forum is so inactive.

4. +1 by:

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    There are quite a few things that add up, valves are one, piston rings get expensive, don't get me started on the torque to yield connecting rod bolts and nuts. Bearings and all that stuff make a simple rebuild a serious investment. I can safely say that yours is by far the best looking project on here. You should be proud.

Sean

+1
    Going to be making a few more additions and modification on this ski. Have been having some porpoising I've been trying to get rid of and after talking with Sean, decided to spring for a pump wedge and install it to trim the nozzle down 2*. Will see how that goes. Also swapping to a riva bar set and going to install some 2016+ Sea-Doo grips with the palm rests. Adding a new fuel system consisting of a Deatschwerks fuel pump, Russell one-way fuel valve and FueLab 525 FPR with Russell gauge. Also plan on adding some audio once I work out the porpoising and replace the fuel system. Will keep the old pump as a spare but the check valve is out on it and it seems to be running a bit on the weak side which is expected given that pumps history.

+1
    Goodies just came in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2AA49B9-C4D0-40FE-AB6D-EB395FC969BE.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	467572  

+1
    Pump installed and original pressure regulator removed. On another note, quite disappointed in Brisbane Kawasaki aka Kspeed. Haven’t received the product yet but the sales support was rough to say the least. Just waiting on them for the pump wedge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84C49377-577A-4743-B22F-3B459B118378.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	467616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67CE0735-704E-454A-8261-0A6C4E791E02.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	467617  

Just a heads up but you probably already know this. I recently replace the pump on my STX-12F with an aftermarket and the polarity didn't work out. On OEM the wires from the pump to the top of the pump housing crossed and on the aftermarket they went straight through. I was able to get the pins out of one end and swap them and it worked like a charm.

+1
    One thing to make sure of is that you are using submersible fuel injection hose between the pump and outlet.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    One thing to make sure of is that you are using submersible fuel injection hose between the pump and outlet.

Sean
    Yeah I used the piece of submersible hose that came with the deatshwerks pump. The pigtail that comes with the pump is about 2” short of being 100% plug and play with the connector at the top of the sender. It is the exact same connector. Going to mount FPR and one way check valve next. Then going to move on to the hot start issue fix as we discussed earlier. Will be using a mini waterproof relay and harness with a 100k resistor and see how that works. Will intercept the start switch to open the relay and force the signal through the resistor. I’m thinking 100k should be about the right spec for the most part but may grab a 70k also to test until I find the best one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    Yeah I used the piece of submersible hose that came with the deatshwerks pump. The pigtail that comes with the pump is about 2” short of being 100% plug and play with the connector at the top of the sender. It is the exact same connector. Going to mount FPR and one way check valve next. Then going to move on to the hot start issue fix as we discussed earlier. Will be using a mini waterproof relay and harness with a 100k resistor and see how that works. Will intercept the start switch to open the relay and force the signal through the resistor. I’m thinking 100k should be about the right spec for the most part but may grab a 70k also to test until I find the best one.
    If you want the oe plugs, checkout eastern beaver

Sean

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information