Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Questions on possible purchase that needs work

Hi all, just joined and am looking for my first ski, I know another newb! I'm not a mechanical moron, I've built engines, put a supercharger on my Challenger so I know how to turn a wrench. Having said all that I'm looking at a 2005 Kawasaki STX-12F, asking price is $1000 and comes with a trailer, the issues the seller lists are "Stuck in learner mode, gauge doesn't work and possible mud stuck in the cooling line". Should I keep looking or are these not too tough to tackle for my first try at Jet Ski's? Thanks for any and all help.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Hard to say without seeing it it but unless it was taken care of really well I would pass and wait for a newer 15f. I had a leaf get stuck in the pisser on mine changed the hose out was all good.

+1
    Welcome aboard, AirborneSilva!

Probably not a bad price, but it may not be a bargain, either. I can't remember how the display works on that one. I believe that you can ground one of the wires (I think blue) and that will put it in normal mode, but do a search here to be sure. It's been discussed several times. A new display costs over $1K, but you can find a used one for about $400 on Ebay if you're patient.

If water isn't coming out of the pisser on the right front portion of the 'Ski, it is probably plugged up with a mud dauber or other insect. Not a difficult fix. I would disassemble the discharge nozzle from the hose use use a weedeater string to clean it. Some use compressed air, but I don't like blowing off hoses.

That said, the 1200 4-stroke engines are known to have a lot of problems with pistons, etc. You can spend $500-$1000 fixing it up and end up with a 'Ski that 's worth $1500-$2000. And if the engine blows up, it's hardly worth fixing.

I'm with TMiller, the STX-15F is a much better 'Ski. The engine is laid out differently and is much easier to work on. More power, very few inherent problems, and there are millions of them out there.

4. +1 by:

Thank you guys for your responses, I guess I'll pass on this one and continue looking. I'm not really stuck on any one brand or model just looking for something inexpensive to get my foot in the door since I've never even been on a Jet Ski. Thanks again guys!

+1
    It's really hard to beat a Kawasaki STX-15F or Ultra LX for a first 'Ski. Reliable, easy to work on, stable, plentiful parts. The STX-15F is pretty fast, where the Ultra LX is cruiser. It's easy to confuse some of the Kawasaki names, as there is also an Ultra 310 LX, which is supercharged. That one is really not a beginner 'Ski.

+1
    Gauge in slo mode. Check ebay for a guage set up. They are not cheap. I think new they are the cost of the machine you are looking at. Kawi's fopar.

Thanks again guys, I made an offer on a
    2002 Sea doo gtx 4-tec and they accepted. I still need to see it in person but it looks like that won't happen until Monday. From the pictures it looks like it's been kept up really well, only issue is gauges don't work, seems like that's an issue with lot's of jet ski's or am I wrong?

+1
    Before you close the deal, talk to the guys in the SeaDoo forum! There were a lot of problems with superchargers in the early days. I believe the early ones still require frequent supercharger overhauls.

Electronics don't really mix with water very well. Making connectors that are easy to disconnect, yet seal out water for years is a problem. A lot of people keep their boats outside in the sun where heat attacks the display.

Don't buy anything until you actually RIDE it!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSilva View Post
    Thanks again guys, I made an offer on a
    2002 Sea doo gtx 4-tec and they accepted. I still need to see it in person but it looks like that won't happen until Monday. From the pictures it looks like it's been kept up really well, only issue is gauges don't work, seems like that's an issue with lot's of jet ski's or am I wrong?

2002 is a problem child. main problems:

pump housing discontinued. That means a pricey repair the very first time you run aground

the later model pump housing is a retrofit, but also requires replacement of the drive shaft and PTO bearing $$$$

and the starter solenoid is a nightmare replacement job

the gauges being out makes it a parts ski at best, a money pit at worst.

hard to find a deal this time of year, but not hard at all to pay too much for a junker.

The captain has spoken, do what you will, sailor.

btw, Admiral Steve's advice is solid, it is suggested you take it under serious advisement.

Thanks Steve. The ski is a non supercharged 4-tech so don't have to worry about supercharger issues. Can I ask the reasoning behind no buy until you ride?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information