Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    +1
    My crystal ball is in the shop for repairs. So I'll need more symptoms and the results of any diagnostic tests that have been performed.

+1
    Can we get a rush on that crystal ball lol. I didn't ride it long and haven't performed and diagnostic tests. The ski idled strong and took off with no problems. It would hit 30 and then you could feather the throttle and get it to 40. I pulled the plugs when I got home they are in bad shape so I thought I would start with them and check compression.

+1
    Did it act as if is it was starving for fuel?

+1
    not really just acted like that was all it had

+1
    Did you ever clean the fuel pump intake screen (about the size of a dime)? I gathered from re-reading the thread, you replaced the pleated filter at the bottom of the fuel canister.

If you go back on the water with it, bring your fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure. It should ALWAYS maintain 25 psi or thereabouts. If it falls off when it tops out, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Did you reinforce the fuel pressure regulator (FPR)?

+1
    I will check pressure the next time I take it out. The last time I had it out I was getting around 22 psi. I did clean the screen and the FPR is reinforced. Can the fuel pump be rebuilt if that is the issue or is it best to try and pick a used on up?

+1
    No, the fuel pumps are not re-buildable. That being said, the pump itself is pretty reliable. While I personally have not utilized one, a number of members have posted good results with the "Quantum" replacement pumps and their current draw is about 4.0 amps. We've encountered a umber of issues with aftermarket replacement pumps drawing excessive current. An OEM pump is preferred.

Did you clean the fuel tank out when you had the canister out? Pumped out all the gasoline you could, mopped out the rest with paper towels, picked out any contaminants you could see, and then wiped out the inside with a tack rag (utilized normally for paint finish work)? It does not take much to plug the inlet screen of the pump. Did you replace the pleated filter? Some contaminants may be caught in the pleats and could work loose to plug the pump intake screen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hedge74 View Post
    I will check pressure the next time I take it out. The last time I had it out I was getting around 22 psi. I did clean the screen and the FPR is reinforced. Can the fuel pump be rebuilt if that is the issue or is it best to try and pick a used on up?
    In my experience that the fuel pump usually is not the culprit. However, bad gas would certainly be a problem. Have you drained the tank completely? You mentioned that you ahve had this ski for a couple of years and two year old gas and FICHT engines do not get along. I used the fuel pump to empty my tank (12 gallons) before I started my restore. I put the gas 5 gallons at a time in my SUV with a full tank of pump gas to dispose of it . . . LOL So far so good there.

If you need a fuel pump, only one company, Quantum, makes a kit that also includes the 30 micron "strainer" located inside the fuel pump assembly. From what I gather it is a "close enough" in amperage draw that it shouldn't fry the EMM.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2955451

Also, I am not too far from you if you really keep having problems.

+1
    I drained the tank completely and followed the steps that martincom suggested. I did notice tonight that I didn't have the rubber seal seated correctly on the pump so maybe that was my problem? Thanks Bfarnam hopefully this is the last issue I have.

10. +1 by:

+1
    You mentioned (via PM) that you have two EMMs and one of them was repaired by "the shop" in Tennessee.

I have to really question your method of chasing symptoms around in circles when you may not have a reliable and dependable EMM to test with. These skis should be bullet-proof, rock solid, start every time, no issues, when maintained properly and the EMM is functioning properly.

You mentioned that your back at fuel pressure, but I don't see that as the real issue, just a symptom of a greater problem.

First I would send one of your EMMs, along with your injector co-efficient numbers from the bar codes to @HiPeRco and ensure it is working properly and flashed for your injectors. There are a several "known" issues with these EMMs that cause random issues that can be fixed.

Additionally IMO, trying to test with an unknown EMM, is never going to yield predictable results. YMMV.

Brett

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information