2007 VX110 overheating?

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can offer some insight on a 2007 VX110 I just bought used that is giving me the overheat indicator / limp mode after I ride for a while. I am acquittances with the PO and I know that he is meticulous about his maintenance, which is why I bought it, but I did so knowing it had this issue. When it does this, you can lay your hand on any part of the engine or exhaust and hold it there without issue. The only part of the engine that you can't do this with is the valve cover, which is hot, but not scalding. Just uncomfortably hot. He had also used a laser thermometer and measured various parts of the engine and exhaust. He claims that nothing was ever over 160*, although I have not repeated this particular test myself yet. The ski has 130 hours on it and the cylinder pressures are all in the 160-170 range. So our original hypothesis was that the engine was not actually overheating and that one of the thermo-switches was bad or maybe the engine temp sensor. So I replaced all of those but the issue is continuing. Here are further trouble shooting steps I've taken:
    1. Bench-tested both old thermo-switches and temp sensor. All tested fine.
    2. Bench-tested both new thermo-switches and temp sensor. All tested fine.
    3. Forced water through every water passage when the exhaust manifold was off. (Engine and manifold ports) No issues, water flowed fine through all.
    4. Also forced water through every water line while everything was apart.
    5. Used a borescope in the anode hole to view the water inlet to the water jackets. All was clear. I could pass wires through the inlet pipe and see them hitting the cylinder walls on the camera. There was no blockage or buildup and I could clearly see the bottom of the head and the round water ports there. (Can post these pics if you like.)
    6. Removed intake grate and confirmed that it is clear.
    7. While the issue was occurring I disconnected both thermo-switches individually. Neither caused the alarm to turn off. I think this indicates that it is the engine temp sensor that is sounding the alarm? I did not know what would happen if I disconnected that sensor so I didn't try it.
    When not in limp mode everything seems to operate fine. This is my first Yamaha so I have no reference for how much water should be coming out of the indicator on the left side of the hull. I spent some time yesterday on the water trying to observe this but it is not in a good spot to see and is submerged most of the time. I put my hand under there to feel it. At times it seems like the spray is intermittent. It's also fairly hot, especially when the limp mode is occurring, but again, I have no frame of reference for how hot it should be nor how consistent. It seems like a lot of times it's spurting instead of spraying. When I flush it on the trailer no water comes out of the indicator port unless I lower the tongue of the trailer to the ground, and even then it's sporadic. I've had some tell me this is normal for VX's, others tell me it's an issue. I can post a video of this as well if you like.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by H€PHÆ$TU$; 06-06-2020 at 01:05 PM.

This isn't very scientific, probably moreso than it should be, but I have a 3d printer with a heated bed that I can accurately set a temp on and it will heat up to that temp. It occurred to me that I could lay my hand on that bed at varying temps to compare to my valve cover. So doing that, I would estimate that my valve cover was 160-175* when the alarm was g going off and I was in limp mode. Does that sound like actual overheating? That was the hottest part of both the engine and exhaust.

+1
    I had the same issue. The engine was in a SUV1200 and it suddenly alarmed like yours.. sensors all tested good. I had to remove the head and removed 3 different sand mound build-ups in the passageways. One was right by the sensor. The stuff was like cement and I had to use a drill and screw drivers to cut away at the sand.. Once I did that, it ran nice and cool.. I had the same issue with a FX140 I just bought but it ended up being salt build-up in the head areas that I had to remove. It doesn't alarm any more... It's hard to trouble shoot, but once the exhaust is ruled out, then it may be the water passageways.

Quote Originally Posted by SUV1200 View Post
    I had the same issue. The engine was in a SUV1200 and it suddenly alarmed like yours.. sensors all tested good. I had to remove the head and removed 3 different sand mound build-ups in the passageways. One was right by the sensor. The stuff was like cement and I had to use a drill and screw drivers to cut away at the sand.. Once I did that, it ran nice and cool.. I had the same issue with a FX140 I just bought but it ended up being salt build-up in the head areas that I had to remove. It doesn't alarm any more... It's hard to trouble shoot, but once the exhaust is ruled out, then it may be the water passageways.
    Where exactly were they?

I've read countless threads about the same but in literally all of them the buildup is right at the water inlet pipe where I was able to visually inspect with my borescope.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    have to remove head and clean sand around cylinders and were the 2 steel fittings are on right rear of engine make sure they are clean and free.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    have to remove head and clean sand around cylinders and were the 2 steel fittings are on right rear of engine make sure they are clean and free.
    I realize that area is a very common problem area, which is why I have borescoped that exact area. If you're as familiar with the engine as you seem to be, you will know the exact area I am talking about. I removed the hose to the water pipe going into the block as well as the anode right behind and next to it. I ran my borescope into the anode hole and was able to clearly see that exact area. Here are pics to prove it:

These two photos are looking forward, toward the rear of the engine / front of the ski. The white wire you see is inserted through the water pipe leading into the engine block. You can see how it easily passed all the way through and hit the side of the cylinder wall. This is the area that normally gets clogged up, right? Do you see anything concerning there?

This is the view looking up toward the under side of the head. I interpret this as no blockage. I believe those round holes are where the coolant enters the head. You can clearly see the curvature of the cylinder and block walls. Do you interpret something different?

I plan to work on this some more tomorrow and the next day. I'll rip the head off if I have to. But based on these pics I'm not seeing evidence to justify it, are you? I mean, it's totally possible that I'm missing something in the pics, so tell me if you think I am. It's also possible that there is a blockage somewhere else in the block that I wasn't able to get at. But based on my readings that seems to be extremely uncommon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200607_184523.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	462775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200607_184548.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	462776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200607_184609.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	462777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200607_184628.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	462778  

Thread Information