Question New to Yami PWC, preparing 2012 VXR with 0 hrs

So I was about due for some clueless do-da luck. Purchased a "brand new" 2012 VXR with 0 hrs @ a VERY discounted price. Senior gentleman purchased to sling the grandkids around the lake but the 2012 drought shut the nearby Lake Murray down.Gentleman took it back to dealership & had the VXR winterized & fogged(documented) & straight to indoor storage & there it stayed until 2 weeks ago. Battery was toast so I jumped off one of his bike batteries to confirm dash readout & yes, 0 hrs & it did "turn over" but did want it to start it. Will take pic when new battery is purchased.
    So here's the rub. The waverunner had absolutely no fuel, bone dry, which means no stabilizer. Oil stick looked good, didnt see any separation & no dirt dobber nest in pump. Rubber looked good. Mid America inc trailer (lowboy) with grease buddies @ 100%.
    I have done the PWC thing since the mid 80s, Kawis & SeaDoos & one wetbike @ the bottom of Lake Grapevine. Never done the Yamis & the Mid America lowboy trailers.
    So, knowing this (or not knowing in my case), what can I expect with Rip Van Winkle here. Never stored for over a season with PWCs -vs- 7 years. Pump seal comprimised?, maybe? Injector issues? ECU went stupid? I just dont know & really need some experianced advice on waking up RVW.... Carefully.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	462702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	462703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00a0a_e0RVYrSyACz_0cU09G_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	462704  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will let others guide you on the watercraft.

Regarding the trailer, those tires are now at least 8 years old. Even stored indoors, my recommendation is to buy and install new tires right away. Old trailer tires can look ‘good’ and yet be internally fragile. Failure of an aged trailer while on the road can be sudden and near explosive.

The tire industry recommendation for trailer tires is maximum seven years old, from date of manufacture. My own practices is to replace tire after five years of age, from DOT date in the sidewall.

A few years ago I experienced a sudden tire failure with a ‘still looked like new’ trailer tire.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2244807

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I will let others guide you on the watercraft.

Regarding the trailer, those tires are now at least 8 years old. Even stored indoors, my recommendation is to buy and install new tires right away. Old trailer tires can look ‘good’ and yet be internally fragile. Failure of an aged trailer while on the road can be sudden and near explosive.

The tire industry recommendation for trailer tires is maximum seven years old, from date of manufacture. My own practices is to replace tire after five years of age, from DOT date in the sidewall.

A few years ago I experienced a sudden tire failure with a ‘still looked like new’ trailer tire.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2244807

That issue totally slipped my mind, your absolutely right. Tires "look new" but they are "less than" going on 7 or 8 years. Thanks for the reminder.

So I assumed bone dry gas tank saving the system of varnished fuel. Nope. Put in 5 gallons of Hi Test but a spit of fuel was left from factory, just enough to varnish & lock up 3 of the 4 injectors.Fuel pump pressure @ 50lbs so that's healthy. Cleaning all 4 injectors, fill up with fresh fuel & sea foam & a careful, diligent break in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	463411  

+1
    lugnut, that's quite a find! Congratulations! You're gonna love that ski once you get it up and running. I love my VXR and VXS.

I purchased my very first, modern 4-stoke ski in February 2016. It was a leftover, brand new 2013 VXR. I'd never ridden one and didn't know how good it was. The dealer was Lone Star Yamaha in the DFW, TX area. They had a leftover, brand new 2014 as well. If I knew how good the VXR was when I was buying my 2013, I'd have purchased both skis! I think about that all the time.

Is the Lake Murray you mentioned the one in Columbia, SC? If so, I remember when it was real low and the lake real estate prices crashed. My family is from Columbia, SC and I've enjoyed boating on Lake Murray.

That would be Lake Murray of Ok just outside of Ardmore. When Texoma floods we book it to Lake Murray(constant level lake) but in drought Murray takes a hit along with everybody else.

Thread Information