Angry HELP!! 1998 GSX Limited (6525) Bogging in the midrange.

Just purchased a 1998 GSX LTD (the 6525) model for way cheap. Seller claimed it needed only a carb clean and would be good to go. Ski has 210 hrs and is in pretty good condition. It ran when I bought it but would immediately die when given any throttle. Only thing I have done since purchasing is rebuilding/cleaning the carbs, and setting high/low adjustments to the book(for the 6525) They are currently at 1-3/4 on lows and 0 on Highs. Now to the current issue. It starts perfect and idles no problem, even a little bit of throttle... to about 2400 rpm is just fine. Once it gets past that range you have to be really careful with the throttle and it does not want to get up at all. Bogs real bad. If you can get it on plane and up to speed it runs great at WOT and I got it to over 50mph.

By the looks of it, all the grey tempo lines have been replaced. Just donít know where to start after rebuilding and cleaning the carbs, considering theyíre to spec.

Would popoff pressure cause this problem? Stuck rave valves? Bad spark plugs? Iíve looked around but couldnít find a thread with my exact problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The next thing I was going to try was new plugs. Could this make a difference?

If you ease int the throttle and it picks up, but stab the throttle and it stalls, it is an indication the accelerator pumps in the carbs are clogged, or check valve feeding them stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire4Money View Post
    If you ease int the throttle and it picks up, but stab the throttle and it stalls, it is an indication the accelerator pumps in the carbs are clogged, or check valve feeding them stuck.
    Okay I’ll check that out today. The only thing i didn’t go through on the carbs was the accelerator pump.

+1
    Word of advice....at 210 hours your 951 top end is worn out with excessive clearance. I have 3 951's apart right now, just finished a 951 Di, and am about done with a Di/carb spare parts build. If you brought that to my shop for service I would take off the head to see if it has a heavy wear ridge at cylinder tops and measure them.

Behind the on/off/reserve gas switch, on the inside of the hull, thereís a valve. Change it out when you do your fuel line replacement.
    Rectifier issues cause acceleration issues also.

Thread Information