Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2002 Polaris Virage 800DI wont start

Just bought 2 2002 Virage I 800DIs neither start but ill focus on the one that actually gets fuel pressure. First they had random NGK spark plugs in them, I bought and installed the PZFR6Hs, no change. fuel pressure is 20-30 psi. Voltage on the white/red wire is 45 volts when cranking. New gas, unplugged the TPS and it made no difference. The ski will turn over and kind of "start" but will not run. once I get this one going I will start on the other. this one has 135 hours on it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome aboard, sounds like you've got the basics covered well.

check the CPS resistance value. easy check

DO NOT unbolt the injectors from the head to check if they are firing

might want to try a teaspoon of gas down the jugs to see if you can get her to wake up fully.

have you checked the engine compression yet?

I just checked the Crank Position sensor and its read 145.5 (under 200) so that seems good. ill check the compression tomorrow but the ear test sounds good. it turns over very rhythmically. I know im looking for 120-150 psi with less that 5% difference between cylinders.

Actually lets talk about the 2nd ski as well. this is the exact same as the other one. 2002 Polaris Virage i 800DI. This ski just cranks with 0 fuel pressure. I have grounded the brown wire off the fuel pump as the service manual says and got a small spark off the battery ground so stopped at once (fuel pump did nothing). I do have 12 volts on the red fuel pump wire, also preformed a voltage drop on the red wire, this showed 0 volts, and also have 0 resistance on the red wire from the fuel pump to the battery. Im leaning towards bad fuel pump but would hate to have 2 bad EMM between the 2 skis. I will refer to this ski as ski 2 and the other one as ski 1.
    Last edited by Gotens22; 06-07-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotens22 View Post
    ... 2002 Virage I 800DI ... neither start but ill focus on the one that actually gets fuel pressure.

... installed the PZFR6Hs, no change. fuel pressure is 20-30 psi.

Voltage on the white/red wire is 45 volts when cranking
    . New gas, unplugged the TPS and it made no difference.

The ski will turn over and kind of "start" but will not run.
    ... this one has 135 hours on it.
    45 volts during cranking indicates the EMM is not working properly.

If the EMM was consistently attempting to fire the Ficht ignition and the fuel injectors correctly the combined electrical load reduces the available voltage on white/red wires to roughly 23 volts, give or take.

45 volts while cranking would indicate either a fuel injector is unplugged (and therefore not a valid voltage check) or the EMM is not working properly.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotens22 View Post
    Actually lets talk about the 2nd ski as well. this is the exact same as the other one. 2002 Polaris Virage 800DI. This ski just cranks with 0 fuel pressure.

I have grounded the brown wire off the fuel pump as the service manual says and got a small spark off the battery ground so stopped at once (fuel pump did nothing).

I do have 12 volts on the red fuel pump wire, also preformed a voltage drop on the red wire, this showed 0 volts, and also have 0 resistance on the red wire from the fuel pump to the battery. Im leaning towards bad fuel pump ...

... I will refer to this ski as ski 2 ...
    Since it is mandatory to reinforce the fuel pressure regulator inside the fuel pump body, you might as well remove the fuel pump and inspect.

It sounds like the fuel pump motor may have seized. Check for signs of water or dirt inside the fuel tank.

Since this engine cranks, does it have proper fuel injector voltage and spark? If yes, leave the fuel pump unplugged, prime the engine throttle bodies with a teaspoon of gasoline, see if the engine will start. Since there is no fuel pressure it should start and run for a just a few seconds until the primed fuel is consumed.

Starting would be a positive sign for the EMM. Not confirmation that the EMM is completely good.

thanks K447, Yes I had the injector unplugged on Ski 2 (you are good!) I will recheck with it plugging in and report back. On ski 1 I will drain the fuel to move the tank forward and pull the fuel pump out and inspect. at least I have 2 skis so I can swap parts around for troubleshooting.

Ok, on ski 1 I poured a little gas into the intakes and it ran for a few seconds, I see this as a really good sign. Fuel pump will come out for inspection soon, but there are 12 gallons of bad gas in the tank I need to suck out first.

Onto ski 2 compression is exactly the same at 190 psi, at least thats what the Guage said. Tapped into the injector white/red circuit and it read 25-28 volts (both injectors plugged in). The brand new spark plugs seemed fouled up so I cleaned them a little and stuck them back in. When putting fuel down the intake it made no change to the cranking. This is probably a bad sign.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200606_093509.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	462713
    Last edited by Gotens22; 06-07-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Oh, on Ski 1 the injector white/red wire read 20-22 volts while cranking

+1
    As a word of caution, forcing the engine to run by priming the throttle bodies can result in irreparable damage to the circuit board(s) in the EMM, if the EMM is the reason for the low injector volts. (The running engine produces enough electrical energy via the flywheel/stator to burn the failed component(s) inside the EMM).

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information