Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotens22 View Post
    Thats the plan, but would a bad stator/flywheel keep the fuel pump from turning on?

Yes. The fuel pump ground path is through the EMM. It does not enable that ground path until it sees crankshaft rotation from the CPS. Of course, it has to be powered up to do anything and it is powered from the 21/45 VDC power line that is derived strictly from stator sections. The battery has no part in powering the EMM. In fact, the only items powered from battery 12 VDC, within a Direct Injection watercraft, are the starter motor, starter solenoid, MFD, bilge pump (if equipped), LR503 start/stop module, and the fuel pump.

2. +1 by:

+1

Well I have the flywheel off and there are no broken magnets, should I go with a used oem stator or a new chinese stator? Chinese stuff usually has bad quality control, I have read the posts of them coming wired wrong from the factory. But the used oem stator is 20 years old...

+1
    My opinion: I have little faith in anything Chinese. If they can find a corner to cut that will reduce their cost a cent or two---they'll do it.

I agree, I bought a used oem stator off ebay

Hmm... wonder what caused the damage, nothing else in there is beat up. But this is probably why I lost power to the ski.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200708_143359.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	464165

+1
    I had one a few years ago I bought in pieces, after the owner decided he didn't want to spend what it would take to repair it. The EMM had failed and it was presumably backfiring. The previous owner (a lower life form, a salesman) kept trying to start it with it back firing. He finally chipped part of the flywheel ring gear teeth. The teeth fragments, in turn, tore up the flywheel magnets and chewed up the stator laminations.

I would think there would be bits of something in there that chewed the stator up like that---unless someone else had cleaned it out and didn't bother to replace the stator, as it tested OK at the time.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotens22 View Post
    Hmm... wonder what caused the damage, nothing else in there is beat up. But this is probably why I lost power to the ski.
    well that;s some absolute fookery..may have been some previous damage that finally failed if you didn't find anything bouncing around in there, not even any metal bits on the magnets

how was it getting the flywheel off..they are normally difficult, if this one popped right off then perhaps it was replaced by the P.O., the damaged cleared and since the ski ran, nobody bothered with stator. you got off lucky on this one!

The fly wheel was impossible to get off with a puller and breaker bar. The 3 grade 10.9 bolts bent as I struggled to get it off lol. Then I said F' it, bought 3 new bolts for the flywheel removal tool and moved the gas tank forward and used my powerful impact gun (1/2 inch drive style) on it. That yanked off the flywheel in 3 seconds lol. I'd say after that job, if you aren't using a powerful impact gun/air gun with the puller you are probably doing it wrong... there was oily grime inside with metal flakes inside and of course the bits that came off the stator but thats it.

+1
    This flywheel puller (SLP-20-205) will make light work for future flywheel pulling activities. It will.not.be.denied.

https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Line.../dp/B0041QX4ES

12. +1 by:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information