Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 GP1800R, VXR Cover recommendations??

Hi all. Brand new to the forum, but have gotten a bunch of great info already!

Tomorrow I'm picking up 2 2019 Yamaha's.

I got a deal, sorta, on the year old machines. But I can't say I'm totally happy with the dealer.

Anyway - I want to get covers for these things and don't want to pay list price for OEM Yamaha covers from the dealer.

Any recommendations on aftermarket covers? Any place to get a good price on OEM?

First of may questions! Thanks!!

+1
    I've been using this aftermarket cover for about 2 yrs now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Wave...72.m2749.l2649

I first purchased one for my 2013 VXR. I liked it so much that I bought one for my 2012 VXS. When my Watercraft Super Store contoured cover disintegrated, I bought the same style cover for my 1994 Raider. When I purchased my 2019 GP1800R last August, I bought the same style cover. Believe it or not, earlier today I ordered the same style cover for my 1997 GP1200. The WCSS contoured cover is disintegrating.

These are not contoured, form fitting covers like the OEM covers but they do fit well. The VXR, VXS and Raider covers fit very, very well. The GP1800R cover is a little loose at the aft end of the ski but otherwise fits good. I just ordered the GP1200 cover today so I can't speak to how well it fits.

One of the things that I love about these covers is they pretty much keep all or almost all of the rain water from getting through. This is important for the newer painted Yamis. If water sits too long in the footwells it will cause the paint to blister. These covers are very effective at keeping almost all rainwater from soaking through. I've never owned another type of cover that's been so effective at keeping rainwater out of the footwells.

Anyway, these covers are priced right, keep the rainwater out and fit good to 100% excellent. I now own 5 of them and I always recommend them. The OEM covers are sexier but they also cost 3 times as much, or more.

When my neighbor bought his 2019 GP1800R earlier this year, he wanted an OEM cover. I found a seller on ebay (in SC, IIRC) that was selling them for under $200 with free shipping. Do an ebay search if you want an OEM cover.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is there a brand or manufacturer name/info on the actual cover or the packaging for these aftermarket covers?

The ebay listing says the brand is SBU
    Seller is name from the linked listing is add-on-planet

+1
    I keep my ski stored outside in the humid Florida sun, so a cover is a must. I've gone through OEM and aftermarket and never gotten more than 3 years of use out of them.

I just bought a Covermate brand from Overtons mainly due to the 5 year warranty. Time will tell if it lasts and if the warranty is any good if it doesn't.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is there a brand or manufacturer name/info on the actual cover or the packaging for these aftermarket covers?

The ebay listing says the brand is SBU
    Seller is name from the linked listing is add-on-planet
    K447, I'll look and see if I saved one of the cover care instruction sheets.that came with the covers. My GP1200's cover should arrive late next week so I'll take a good look at the packaging.

For sure these are china made covers but the material is heavy, very waterproof and long lasting. As I've already said, I really like them. Like Xspook, I've gone through OEM as well as plenty of aftermarket covers and so far, I like these the best. Hard to go wrong for the price.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    I keep my ski stored outside in the humid Florida sun, so a cover is a must. I've gone through OEM and aftermarket and never gotten more than 3 years of use out of them.

I just bought a Covermate brand from Overtons mainly due to the 5 year warranty. Time will tell if it lasts and if the warranty is any good if it doesn't.
    That's not a bad looking cover and the price is reasonable. Your Overtons cover looks contoured so it fits more like a glove. The 5yr warranty is a bonus.

I loved the fit of the Watercraft Superstore covers because they had that sexy, contour fit. Kinda like a smokin' hottie in a nice bikini! Unfortunately the beauty of those covers was barely skin deep. The material started breaking down within about 6 months. Powdered material like dandruff would fly off the covers every time I'd remove them. After a year, the covers were beginning to tear.

Thanks for that link! I know covers don't last that many years. So I'm good with an inexpensive one. I searched on Ebay and found one that looks the same for my 2019 GP1800R, but from a different vendor. (The guy you linked to doesn't show one for my wave runners). I'm afraid it won't be as durable as the one you bought.

But for the money (under $100) I guess it's hard to go wrong.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have to pick something soon!

OK - I did find a cover from that Add-on-planet for the VXR. But not the GP1800R. For the GP1800R, this looks similar??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Jet-....c101195.m1851

It looks the same/similar to me. What do you think??

Thanks!!

+1
    I'm pretty sure that cover is different from the ones that I own. It looks nice and it may fit the GP1800R a little better (or not.)

I keep mentioning how good my covers are at keeping rainwater out of the footwells. We had a nice little rain shower yesterday afternoon. I just checked the footwells of one of my skis that sits outside and it's bone dry.

Here is a link to the cover that I bought for my SVHO:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Wave...72.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the recommendation. I have 2 of them on order!

Appreciate the advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information