Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Those little details are quite vital as it opens a totally different line of advice

Since things worked before you pulled the connector itís quite likely that one pin in the connector pushed back check for that donít poke at the live side of the pins that opens a difficult can of worms, push from the back side by holding the wire and gently pushing

Again , vibration causes this sort of problem

Iíd also suggest a new battery since rapid loss of voltage at idle speeds makes me suspect that battery is internally shorted

Thatís a vital part of the di puzzle

An agm battery is strongly suggested in this application

Most of us use the DEKA agm

Around $100, one of the least expensive parts of the system

+1
    Excellent, I will take it out of the water tomorrow and check it out in the garage. I hope it is as easy as a bent connector pin.

I also have the service manual so I will check the stator resistance just to make myself feel better. I'm sure you guys are on to something with the emm, but to clear my mind I am going to check it and possibly swap it for the known good one I have in the garage. Of coarse I will change the battery and do everything that you guys think first.

Thanks again she's still a work in progress

+1
    Quick update on my battery light issue, I pulled the connectors off of the emm. Checked all pins and pin connectors. They all looked ok but still pushed on the wires just in case. I started the ski, checked the battery to see f it was charging. The battery was fluctuating between 11.7v-12.2v with the lights still flashing.

Decided to check continuity in the stator wires, maybe I have a broken wire. Going by the book battery charging wires on stator plug are in pairs. I checked resistance in 2k ohm

Battery charging

white/brown- white. No continuity resistance. No reading (not in spec)

White/black-white/green. No continuity. No reading (not in spec)

Injector and ignition operation

Yellow-blue. Have continuity resistance: .27(in spec)

Black-purple. Have continuity resistance: .58 (in spec)

Gray-green. Have continuity resistance: .36 (in spec)

Does it make sense that the stator could be the issue? I'm just trying to figure this all out. I have a another stator that I checked continuity and I have it on every wire including the charging wires. I don't want to do more work than needed, should I swapped the stator and see what happens ? I'd like to out this sucker back in the lake soon.

+1
    at this point I'd say since you've done the diagnostic and it failed, to swap the stator with the unit that shows proper numbers.

Going thru diagnostic by the book does save time and money in the end.

however, for both sides of the stator to fail points to another potential problem in the emm

if the battery does not start charging as soon as you fire the engine with the new stator, shut it down, as my assumption is the rectifier/regulator is shorted and that's what smoked the original stator

when you pull the stator check the winding carefully for a short

sometimes you can catch a wire on the cover and crush it when bolting the cover down, that could be a potential bit to check for.

+1
    I will swap it another day and post my results. As of for now since it is still running ok and it is hot here I was thinking of putting it back in the water for the time being. do you think this will hurt anything more than it is? My lake isn't huge so I won't be taking it on any journeys just yet.

Thanks for the help once again I would be lost without the greenhulk community

+1
    Id advise against running it in the current state, as you don't really know whats going on inside the emm at the moment you could burn a hole clear thru the board, as they say "unrepairable" then a simple repair turns into an expensive hunt for a replacement emm, getting injector data sorted ( if even possible) and other issues.

up to you however, that's just my opinion

just buckle in at 6am tomorrow morning and you'll easily be on the water by noon with no worries if the new stator allows the battery to charge. better outcome if you ask me.

+1
    You are right, I would really not like to go through any of that. I've had the stator cover off not long ago, too bad I didn't take a good look at the stator and check it while it was off.

However I have another emm with matching injectors, because I bought a parts ski once my original engine snapped a connecting rod. The guy I bought it from said the emm failed while he was riding with no warnings. I am wondering if there is a way to check is this actually happened? I noticed an injector clogged on the parts ski set up, I cleaned it and put it on a shelf in the garage. I have a feeling the emm and injectors are ok. Is there a way to check other than swapping the parts onto the running ski?

+1
    Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party but I started working on the ski this morning. I'm getting pretty quick at taking this turd apart. I swapped the stator with everything attached except for the top exhaust pipe.put it all back together with the extra stator, started it and now my battery is charging ! Ran it for only about 10 seconds so far and watched the battery climb from 11.8v to 13.4v .I am putting the ski in the water now, hopefully she will stay in for the season.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be back with more questionsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200612_103319498.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	463055

9. +1 by:

+1
    follow-ups are always appreciated by all who come across this stuff in the future needing to know how to solve the problem and it sure keeps us from having to repeat methods and procedures too many times

good work on this one soldier. carry on

on a side note swapping emm's to check for a no start condition is OK for just starting the engine at idle. without the matching injectors you don't want to run it for very long at all.

When I suspect an EMM issue and no check engine light is showing, I'll swap in one of my "known good" spares. Saves me some diagnostic time. if it's still a no start, I can go from there with my emm until the engine does start, then switch the customers emm back in when i'm done.

+1
    I always appreciate the follow ups also, that is how I got my ski running in the first place.

I was just skimming through the forum and saw something about am emm upgrade?

Should I consider upgrading the emm via lakeside tech ? My ski seems to run good no warning, starts up right away.

Does anyone know what an upgrade in the emm actually is, any info on this would be great. I plan on keeping the ski for a while and would like it to be up to date if that's even a thing .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information