Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back in the game after 3 years away. Trying to get double PWC trailer sorted.

Folks, I need some help here. I have a pair of 2007 Seadoo Wake editions on a double FE trailer and I'm trying to get the tongue weight and bow rollers situated, while also figuring out how to hold down the bows of the craft with the equipment i have.

First off, what is the total weight of these two skis and trailer? I am assuming about 800lb each ski and about 300lbs for the trailer. I'll add for fuel and equipment and go from there. Once i know the weight, I'll adjust ski position to achieve the desired tongue weight of about 10%? Is that right?

Next question is where to position the bow rollers? Not much space between the bow eye and the top rail on these but that's where the prior owner had them positioned. I dropped them low to see what the options were and you can see that in the pic below.

Next problem is how to hold the nose of these rigs DOWN so as to not become the guy with a watercraft on his vehicle's roof. I don't have anything low on the bow post to route the strap to. Do you guys use chains or cables to connect to the eye and somewhere down below that? Help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9782.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	462648  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will suggest you may want to change to a different trailer that fits the hulls better. The winch itself is way too high and too close to the hull bow.

If you really want to keep the current trailer then consider modifying the winch post. You want the bow roller above the hull bow eye, and below the hull rub rail.

etrailer and other online trailer parts sources sell alternative winch posts and related hardware, perhaps there is one of the correct height range to fit your trailer frame and position the bow roller and winch at the correct heights.

Thanks. I had the bow roller just above the eye but there just isn't much room there. The eye is very high up on the hull. I may just use some ratcheting tie downs from the eye the trailer frame.

+1
    You can buy or fabricate all kinds of winch posts. www.boattrailerparts.com has a bunch to choose from.

How much tongue weight do you have right now? Is your axle adjustable?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You can buy or fabricate all kinds of winch posts. www.boattrailerparts.com has a bunch to choose from.

How much tongue weight do you have right now? Is your axle adjustable?
    Axle is not adjustable.

I had about 260lbs tongue weight and that was with empty vessel gas tanks and three empty 5 gallon fuel tanks. If I fill them up, that'll add another 300lbs in front of the axle so the tongue weight will go up even more. Seems like too much.

I slid both skis back and was able to get the tongue weight to about 140lbs but the skis are now sticking out about 8" past the rear of the trailer. Is that about standard? After I gas them up, I'm gonna have to slide them back even more to achieve 10% tongue weight.
    Last edited by surfcitypops; 06-05-2020 at 12:05 PM.

+1
    10-15% is recommended. More on the tongue won't hurt anything up to a point. Much better to be heavy in the front than light in the front.

I've had trailers of various lengths. If the 'Ski sticks out the back, the straps will draw it into the bow stop, but if it shifts while stopping the straps can come off.

On the trailer I built, the 'Skis end about 8-10 inches in front of the anchor (Boat Buckles). It works well, gonna build more trailers!

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    10-15% is recommended. More on the tongue won't hurt anything up to a point. Much better to be heavy in the front than light in the front.
    That's good advice. I guess I'll shoot for near 15% fully loaded so I'm not too light if I tow with the tanks empty.

When the tanks are full, that represents about an additional 360lbs forward of the axle. Is every pound forward of the axle an additional pound of tongue weight? Or does it matter where that weight is positioned forward of the axle?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post

When the tanks are full, that represents about an additional 360lbs forward of the axle.

Is every pound forward of the axle an additional pound of tongue weight?
    Or does it matter where that weight is positioned forward of the axle?
    Weight increase on the tow ball is proportional to where the added weight is relative to the tow ball and the axle.

100 pounds at 20% of the distance forward of the axle means only 20 more pounds of tongue weight at the tow ball.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Weight increase on the tow ball is proportional to where the added weight is relative to the tow ball and the axle.

100 pounds at 20% of the distance forward of the axle means only 20 more pounds of tongue weight at the tow ball.
    Excellent. Thank you.

This is how I have them positioned right now but I'll probably have to scoot them back at least another several inches to achieve ideal tongue weight. Does everyone's skis protrude beyond the trailer like this?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9799.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	462724  

+1
    There is no single ‘ideal’ tongue weight, as a percentage or on an absolute basis.

Personally I prefer to have the watercraft hull rear fully supported on the bunks (by moving the hull forward) and tolerate some additional weight on the tow ball.

In general, additional tongue weight is not a problem. Towing stability increases with tongue weight, as long as the total weight on the tow ball is within limits for the tow vehicle.

Most vehicles (and hitches) tend to specify tongue weight maximum at about 10% of allowable total trailer weight. If your vehicle is rated to tow 5,000 pounds (of loaded trailer) then the tongue weight allowed on the tow ball is probably around 500 pounds, sometimes more.

Check whichever is less, the weight ratings for the hitch mounted on the vehicle or the vehicle’s weight ratings, for allowable tongue weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information