Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1997 Polaris Hurricane 700

Hey everyone,
    new to the group and this seems to be a good place to find help with Polaris as iv not gotten anyone locally who can help solve this?

1997 Polaris Hurricane 700 2-stroke with twin carb

when I get up to plain in the water, hit a wave and or entering the power ban my ski drops dead. I can slowly accelerate to get it going fast but its very temperamental.
    things iv tried include:
    compression test.
    carbs were rebuilt
    pump in carb seems to be in order although not sure of the correct stock jet size to run
    battery tested good
    fuel tank pumped out and replaced with my mix fuel.
    spark is good and checked for vaccine leaks and was unsuccessful in finding any.
    it also has the black fuel line.

anyone have any ideas on what my problem could be or where to check or a good jet size to start with?

Also I meant to add that it will restart right away! Thanks for the help in advance!

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.
    Did you install carb kits with rebuild ? What brand ?

Battery cable tight ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Welcome to Green Hulk.
    Did you install carb kits with rebuild ? What brand ?

Battery cable tight ?

hey thanks for the reply and battery cables are tight and I did not install the kit I only checked to make sure jets were not plugged and pump was good. The guy before me installed the kit so Im unsure wether he used the correct jet size. Iv looked online a little and have not seen mention so far of a good jet size to start with.

+1
    The factory jetsize is fine for a factory engine and carbs. It needs to be running correctly to check mixture to determine IF it needs different jets.

The carb diaphragms are rubber and can be torn or degrade with age.

Sounds to me like you are not getting enough fuel. Does applying the choke when the problem happens help any ?
    The diaphragm works with the needle seat spring to allow fuel into carbs. The way to check if correct springs were used is to test "pop off" pressure.

After fuel enters the carbs is when the jets do any work. Carb kits do not come with jets-they need to be purchased sepperatly when you know what you need.

i Checked the rubber inside for years or signs of degrading and was unable to see any, I know they are air tight however Im not exactly sure how to test for pop off on this particular carb although Im sure I can figure it out. Tonight Ill take it out and turn the choke on to see if this helps. Im also ordering a carb kit to rebuild the fuel pump side to rule that out. I also planned on swinging by to get a good assortment of jet sizes to go up some more. Hopefully Ill know weather or not the choke helps and get that posted too. Appreciate your help!

So soon inspection of the carb today I noticed that the high end air idle screws are missing. Another words the guy that rebuilt the carb placed them back in. Im about %95 sure this is my problem! So time to call green hulk! And hopefully they will have two I can buy!

+1
    Stock Hurricane carbs do not have high speed adjusting screws.

I bought a rebuilt set of stock carbs off eBay, wasnt able to find the high end air mix screws since theyve been discontinued, what carbs would you have recommended, or do you have any advice for upgrading the machine? Or a good source to still find parts for them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyatvracer05 View Post
    wasn’t able to find the high end air mix screws since they’ve been discontinued,
    They never existed. The carbs were made with out them and work fine with out them.

Post a picture of the carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information