polaris genesis 1200 seized pump

hello, i am new to this forum and new to owning a pwc

I have a 2000 polaris genesis 1200 carb model that i have just puchased a few months ago, i have replaced the wear ring, impellor and rebuilt the stator with new bearings and seals. I took it for a test run and it was going good until it sucked up a fishing net and siezed the pump, i am yet to pull the pump apart to inspect it but i have removed it from the ski. could this net cause the motor to stop or could i have another problem? I also noticed the impellor was touching the wear ring because i can see wear marks on it. i will check the drive shaft is straight while i have it out. Is there anything else i should check?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200602_105007.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	462571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200602_105014_1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	462572  

+1
    Sucking something into the jet pump and seizing it up will absolutely stop the motor.

+1
    Sudden stoppage can create engine issues. I had guests riding a '04 Virage i and they reported it died. The stator had issues and I had a spare, in a spare engine. It was easier to just swap the engine.

Last fall, I acquired another '04 Virage i that had thrown a rod. My plan was to replace that engine with one I had previously swapped out with the open stator. When I disassemble the flywheel housing, I found the flywheel had thrown a few magnets and that is what destroyed the stator. So I started to swap the stator and flywheel from the rod blown engine when I noticed there was a couple of degrees of play in the flywheel end of the crankshaft while holding the PTO end locked.

The sudden stoppage from the magnets being thrown caused the crankshaft press fit joints to loosen at the mag cylinder journals. So much for my engine swap.

You may want to check your crankshaft, as well. Mine wouldn't have lasted long running with that free play and it probably would have taken out other engine components when it failed.

The engine was only reving at about 4000rpm When it stopped and i dont think it was too sudden, I have had the ski running after i removed the pump and it seemed ok.
    Today I pulled the pump apart and found the bearing on the impellor side was siezed/damaged. There was no water inside so im not sure what has caused it, I dont think the net would have caused the brg to fail unless it was loading it up. It was only running for 10 minutes

Name:	IMG_20200604_143930.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	462605  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris7886 View Post
    ... pulled the pump apart and found the bearing on the impellor side was siezed/damaged. ... not sure what has caused it, I dont think the net would have caused the brg to fail unless it was loading it up. ...
    Sometimes a bearing can simply fail from age and wear.

Typo? - what did you mean with 'net' ?

Check the internal bearing spacer for damage or wear. It needs to be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Sometimes a bearing can simply fail from age and wear.

Typo? - what did you mean with 'net' ?

Check the internal bearing spacer for damage or wear. It needs to be perfect.

I meant the fishing net that got caught in the impeller when it seized/stopped.
    The pump was just rebuilt with new bearing, impeller, and wear ring. It was the first time i had it in the water and it only lasted about 10 minutes. I'm trying to track down the cause so it doesn't happen again. I measured the internal spacer and it was still in spec. I will have a closer look tomorrow for damage. Could the engine alignment cause this?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris7886 View Post
    I meant the fishing net that got caught in the impeller when it seized/stopped.
    The pump was just rebuilt with new bearing, impeller, and wear ring. It was the first time i had it in the water and it only lasted about 10 minutes.

I'm trying to track down the cause so it doesn't happen again.

I measured the internal spacer and it was still in spec. I will have a closer look tomorrow for damage. Could the engine alignment cause this?
    If the pump rebuild was not done perfectly that can create stress on the bearings.

One cause of rapid bearing failure is to not quite fully seat both bearings into the stator hub. When the impeller is torqued tight it is important that the spacer inside prevent the inner bearing races from being side loaded. If the impeller shaft feels 'tight' when turning after assembly, that can be an indication of unwanted bearing side load stress.

Did you use the freezer and oven method to prep and insert the new bearings into the stator hub?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If the pump rebuild was not done perfectly that can create stress on the bearings.

One cause of rapid bearing failure is to not quite fully seat both bearings into the stator hub. When the impeller is torqued tight it is important that the spacer inside prevent the inner bearing races from being side loaded. If the impeller shaft feels 'tight' when turning after assembly, that can be an indication of unwanted bearing side load stress.

Did you use the freezer and oven method to prep and insert the new bearings into the stator hub?

Yes i did use this method, i will get an alignment tool and check the alignment of the motor, and check if the driveshaft is bent before i try again

I Machined up an aligment tool this week and checked the alignment, When i brought this ski it had a rebuilt engine. i didnt have the tool so i assumed it was ok. when i checked it was out alot (see Picture)I aligned the motor and rebuilt the pump again with some new bearings and seals. today i took it out and didn't have a problem.

Name:	IMG_20200611_110246.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	463034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200611_135755.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	463035  

Thread Information