Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help just bought my first ski

Hey everyone. I just bought a wave raider 760 a couple days ago and have been having trouble getting it to stay running. When I get it started in the water It will shut off when close to an idle speed, and requires the choke to start back up. After trying to start it so many times the battery died. I also realized that the battery currently in it is a ETX30L. Could that be the reason it wonít hold a charge? Could that battery of done damage? This is my first jet ski so I have no idea what Iím doing and any help would be appreciated.

Actually it currently has a estx20l battery in it.

+1
    Won't hold a charge? You said that you cranked the ski so many times until the battery died. There is nothing wrong with your battery and the battery didn't cause any damage.

1. Did you test ride this ski before you bought it?
    2. Is the gasoline new or old?
    3. Have you done a compression check?
    4. Have the carbs been rebuilt? (I don't know if this ski has one or two.)
    5. When you start it in the water, can you keep it running with some throttle?

If you will answer these questions, we'll have more information to help you.

1. I test drove it and it rode very strong once I got past idle speed. When I would slow down I guess the term is the engine would “bog down” and I had to use the choke to get it going again.
    2. I put new gasoline in it but the guy who sold it to me mentioned that it would run better once the old gas is used up.
    3. I have not done a compression check but before I bought it he had said that is what was wrong with it, so he probably fixed it.
    4. It has 2 carbs and I have no idea but I’m assuming if anything he would of just cleaned them.
    5. Yes, after the test drive which was much smoother. When I was able to get it to start I kept gassing it for a few minutes to make sure it wouldn’t stop and as soon as I slowed down it shut off.

Another thing to note is that I’d have to unscrew the spark plug and add premix to get it to start. After trying for about 2 hours I was only able to get it to start twice on the water. The engine would just keep cranking, and after trying for a bit it eventually would just crank once then stop.
    Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.

+1
    1. I'm glad to hear that you'd test ridden the ski before your purchase. Having to use the choke to get it going after bogging tells me that you're running lean.

2. Using up the new/old mix of gas and then adding more new gas will certainly make it run better. I wouldn't count on that being the problem, though.

3. You said, "I have not done a compression check but before I bought it he had said that is what was wrong with it, so he probably fixed it." So, this ski did have low compression before you purchased it? Since you said that it ran strong during your test ride he probably did fix it. However, it is standard procedure to do a compression check just to know what you're dealing with. If you don't own a compression gauge, rent one for free from your local Autozone, Advance Auto Parts or O'Reilly Auto Parts. You want to see compression numbers for both cylinders that are within 10% of each other.

4. Never assume that a previous owner has done anything! In fact, assuming the compression is good, the carburetors are more than likely the problem! They need to be rebuilt with genuine Mikuni carburetor kits. Do not use aftermarket kits! I bought two kits about a month ago and they were right at $50 each! Not cheap but the aftermarket kits are worthless. After a good rebuild of both carbs, your ski will probably run much better.

5. The carb rebuild may cure this or the idle may just need to be set to a little higher rpm. When my carbs are starting to get crappy (due to garbage ethanol fuel!) I have idle speed issues as well. Usually, a carb cleaning will cure this so a complete rebuild of your two carbs should help this situation.

Many of us end up installing primer kits on our older 2-stroke skis to make starting easier. You may want to do that later on. I'd do a compression check and rebuild the carbs first.

Thanks so much for taking your time to help, it will definitely go to good use. Other thank the carb kit is there anything else I need to buy to assemble it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilhommie View Post
    Thanks so much for taking your time to help, it will definitely go to good use. Other thank the carb kit is there anything else I need to buy to assemble it?
    Yes. Is it still oil injected or has it been converted to premix? If still oil injected, you're going to want to replace each of the oil lines (one at a time) and secure them with Oetiker pinch clamps. The Oetiker clamps are the best there is. One of the members of the GH forum uses wire to secure the hose ends to the fittings. That will work as well. I use the clamps but have been known to use the wire in a pinch!

It had been converted to premix and I am using a 50:1 ratio. Alright man last week it wouldn’t start and today it wouldn’t turn off lol. I installed a new fuel filter and after taking out the spark plugs and adding premix, and using the chokeI was able to get it to start. Once it started I turned on the hose and flushed it out. It got stuck on full throttle and wouldn’t turn off even from pulling the spark plug. I had to disconnect the fuel line and it shut off. I’m assuming it was red hot and just kept the gas burning due to not being cooled from being on water.

+1
    You had a "lean runaway!" You have an air leak. Do not run this ski again until you fix the problem or you'll have much bigger problems!

Years ago I had a lean runaway on one of my 1996 Sea Doo XP skis. I had forgotten to tighten down one of the two carbs and, obviously, it was leaking air. If you get a lean runaway again, you can go full throttle or pull the choke to kill the runaway.

You need to rebuild those carbs!

Here is a link to where I purchased my Mikuni carburetor rebuild kits for my 1994 WaveRaider:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mik...72.m2749.l2649

I'm assuming that your ski has the same carbs. Please confirm it before you order! You'll also need a carb base gasket(s). My Raider uses a single gasket that has the cutouts for both carburetors.
    Last edited by dannyual777; 06-09-2020 at 09:00 AM.

You really seem to know your stuff lol. Do you think I should purchase the 80$ kit that includes Includes every gasket O-ring and seal required to rebuild an engine. Or just the carb base gasket(s) for 10$?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information