Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 2002 STX-R 1200 Bogs down under load, runs fine on hose, but wonít go over 13 MPH

Hi guys, new to the PWC world. I just bought a 2002 STX-R 1200 only 140 Hrs original owner and Iím having an issue where it bogs down in the water, runs fine on the hose but it wonít go over 4000 RPMs and wonít go over 13 MPH. Iím thinking itís a fuel issue, but I just donít know where to start. Any suggestion anyone? Thanks in advance.

Before you do anything else run a compression test. It might be running on only two cylinders. It will seem to run well on the hose with only two cylinders working but it won't accelerate in the water like you are experiencing. While your running the compression test inspect the plugs. You will be able to tell if one cylinder isn't firing by looking at the plugs.

Compression is fine, just checked. When pulling plugs, I noticed 1 (cylinder 2) was extremely loose, and probably not fitting as cylinder was not warm enough for a running engine. And the plug looks different compared to the others. Put new plug in, and noticed a difference immediately. I’m draining fuel, and changing fuel filter, and all new plugs. Hoping this makes the difference. What filter do I get and can I get them locally at part stores or dealers etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner.Prebe View Post
    Compression is fine, just checked. When pulling plugs, I noticed 1 (cylinder 2) was extremely loose, and probably not fitting as cylinder was not warm enough for a running engine. And the plug looks different compared to the others. Put new plug in, and noticed a difference immediately. I’m draining fuel, and changing fuel filter, and all new plugs. Hoping this makes the difference. What filter do I get and can I get them locally at part stores or dealers etc?
    That is great news! Hopefully your problem is something as simple as a bad plug.

You can use a filter from an auto parts store but don't use one with a paper filter. Let me look up what is recommended.

Double post

+1
    Welcome aboard, Tanner.Prebe!

Don't use a paper fuel filter. Use an OEM mesh-style filter. Personally, I like the old SeaDoo filters that can be serviced at the lake. Lots of them on Ebay. They have a canister that you can remove without tools and flush out the screen while at the lake. You will have to fabricate a bracket for it. Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Filter...YAAOSwc0FUqcDx

Here is the filter I was talking about:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO95SC..._Cwh1EbKMB0ZEF

Paper filters shouldn't be used.

I was experiencing the same issue, it was a combination of clogged screens in the carbs and bad spark plug connection. Make sure you push those spark plug boots down ALL the way!

How hard was that Carb rebuild/cleaning? Did you replace anything or just go in and clean the screens? Never really done a carb rebuild on something this small. How was it? And any pointers? I’m ready to get this thing back out on the lake!! Seaward toast

It was pretty simple. Just pull the airbox off, take out the carbs, disassemble and clean. I sprayed with compressed air and let them soak in seafoam over night. I removed the jets and inspected them, blew them out. The screens are underneath the needle seats which are a pain in the ass to pull out. Get your best pair of needle nose or vice grips (smaller the better) and just grab the top of the needle seat and start pulling / twisting at the same time. I sprayed some WD-40 around to help. You really don't want to skip the screens... Even if everything else looks good. My carbs looked great but the screens were almost completely clogged with old ethanol. I didn't replace anything. Just be careful with gaskets and remember where things go..

Also check your plug connections! 2 cylinders is fine on the hose but will fall on its face in the water

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information