Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    If you have the stock air box then 95g with 1.2 (yielding a 60ish pop off) seems reasonable. Pop off is not generally something that people do a lot of fine tuning with.

Unless someone can comment on what the stock spring is, your choice is to either order a variety of springs or order a couple different size pilot jets since the two work hand in hand. It's all cheap but I dunno if you have local availability.

Of course, err on the rich side.

I do not think slightly too high of pop off would be causing the problem you are having.

I think you should consider pressure testing the motor to rule out an air leak. Trust me, you'll never get the carbs tuned if you have an air leak.

Ask me how I know.

Thanks. Just ordered new 95gr springs.

Pulled fuel pickup and it isn’t the style with the flapper so that can’t be blocking fuel flow. Pressure tested each carb individually off the ski and they are airtight. Could this not getting past 2500rpm be a water leak in the exhaust somewhere? I do t really understand how the water box / exhaust work with each other. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 12ozcurls View Post
    Pulled fuel pickup and it isnít the style with the flapper so that canít be blocking fuel flow. Pressure tested each carb individually off the ski and they are airtight. Could this not getting past 2500rpm be a water leak in the exhaust somewhere? I do t really understand how the water box / exhaust work with each other. Thanks.
    Not likely a water leak.

I'm not talking about pressure testing the carbs, I'm talking about pressure testing the whole engine. A small air leak can make your engine run lean and cannot be carbureted away.

+1
    12oz, in post #31 you stated, "Carbs done." What exactly did you do? How did you clean the carburetors? More specifically, the small passages? Some of these really, really affect the off-idle to midrange rpm. There are some tiny passages that must be absolutely clean.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    12oz, in post #31 you stated, "Carbs done." What exactly did you do? How did you clean the carburetors? More specifically, the small passages? Some of these really, really affect the off-idle to midrange rpm. There are some tiny passages that must be absolutely clean.
    I disassembled one carb at a time so I could compare build vs mikuni info sheet. Completely tore down all parts, placed into Napa carb cleaner bucket for 12 hours, scrubbed, washed with water, blown off with compressed air - blew through all offices, sprayed all down with carb cleaner then reassembled with all Mikuni parts.

I did post, but didnít get a reply, what are the two tiny allens on the carb? On on the base and one inside if I remember correctly. I did not pull those. By tiny I mean like 4mm across.

I disassembled one carb at a time so I could compare build vs mikuni info sheet. Completely tore down all parts, placed into Napa carb cleaner bucket for 12 hours, scrubbed, washed with water, blown off with compressed air - blew through all offices, sprayed all down with carb cleaner then reassembled with all Mikuni parts.

All new gaskets under carbs, on intake and on reeds. Installed new Boyesen Power reeds.

I did post, but didnít get a reply, what are the two tiny allens on the carb? On on the base and one inside if I remember correctly. I did not pull those. By tiny I mean like 4mm across.

All new gaskets under carbs, on intake and on reeds. Installed new Boyesen Power reeds.

Pop off at 62 and all carbs pressure tested (soap water and gauge). Zero leaks.

Is this gap normal. The gap in the picture between the lever arm and the needle hook? When my lever arms are adjusted to be flush with the carb body there is a gap under each needle hook. So the spring side of the lever has to travel down quite a ways before it even contacts the needle hook and it starts to open. Seems odd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4FAC4E2-FD76-4F9C-AF3D-611CA9F38339.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	464711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7AAD6521-FC1F-473D-8888-BED4627E7F4E.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	464712  

Quote Originally Posted by 12ozcurls View Post
    Is this gap normal. The gap in the picture between the lever arm and the needle hook? When my lever arms are adjusted to be flush with the carb body there is a gap under each needle hook. So the spring side of the lever has to travel down quite a ways before it even contacts the needle hook and it starts to open. Seems odd.
    Not a problem. As long as your pop-off pressure is correct, no worries.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information