Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    1.8L N/A DIY air intake

    New to the forum , have read up on a lot of good info,
    I recently purchased a 2020 GP1800 HO and have been looking at air intake kits most seem to use the Riva kit I also noticed worx makes a nice looking kit ( havenít been able to find any installed pics of this kit )
    has anyone used the RS13050 filter directly on throttle body I was able to find 1 memeber who has . Any pictures of this setup ? Pros or cons to this setup VS using a velocity stack with the 4Ē filter
    TIA


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,228
    +1
    2,137
    It is unclear whether there is any worthwhile performance improvement using a non-stock air intake, with the non-supercharged 1.8 liter engine. There may be an increase in engine intake noise, even with the seat installed.

    Will you be using an aftermarket engine tune?

    What are you hoping the alternative air intake will provide?

  3. #3
    I’m hoping to gain some more RPM currently turning 71/7200 I believe , also was going to do a ribbon delete while in there , I didn’t want to tune the ski in case of warranty issue etc and a tune is roughly 1k with device or a reflash is 500 if I send in the ecu

  4. #4
    Iím hoping to gain some more RPM currently turning 71/7200 I believe , also was going to do a ribbon delete while in there , I didnít want to tune the ski in case of warranty issue etc and a tune is roughly 1k with device or a reflash is 500 if I send in the ecu

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,228
    +1
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by SWFLGP1800 View Post
    Iím hoping to gain some more RPM currently turning 71/7200 I believe , also was going to do a ribbon delete while in there , I didnít want to tune the ski in case of warranty issue etc and a tune is roughly 1k with device or a reflash is 500 if I send in the ecu
    The non-supercharged Yamaha 1.8 liter engine runs quite nicely from the factory. Redline is higher than supercharged, IIRC.

    My understanding is that ribbon delete and air intake have minor or no significant improvement in performance.*
    Especially top speed. Maybe a change in mid-range acceleration.

    While a tune gives some gains, but nowhere near the delta that it has with the supercharged SVHO engine.

    Look up whether an aftermarket impeller has potential, I do not recall whether there was a clear agreement on that for the HO models.


    * On the supercharged SVHO engine the ribbon delete should be matched with an aftermarket tune as the middle two cylinders tend to run leaner than stock with the flame arrestor removed. The tune compensates for this. I forget whether the HO engine also tends to lean out the middle cylinders when the ribbon is removed.

  6. #6
    I had read up on the leaning out on the middle cylinders and IIRC some had claimed the stock ECU calculates for the added air im not 100% ,
    I am wanting some added low mid range , im topping out at around 61ish depending on how much fuel etc
    haven't looked much at impellers im pretty mechanical inclined but it just seemed to be more of a install

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SWFLGP1800 View Post
    I had read up on the leaning out on the middle cylinders and IIRC some had claimed the stock ECU calculates for the added air im not 100% ,
    I am wanting some added low mid range , im topping out at around 61ish depending on how much fuel etc
    haven't looked much at impellers im pretty mechanical inclined but it just seemed to be more of a install
    I have a 16 VXR ( so heavier due to Nanoexcel 1 vs 2 in your 2020) with the following mods:
    - ribbon delete
    - riva air filter
    - worx intake
    - Jimís cut ride plate

    Around 58 hours on it. I ran a new best last fall on the last run of the season, I was low on fuel (buzzer on) and hit 66,7 on GPS. This was on 95 RON which or what I believe you call regular 91 Octane and cold wheather around 15 C and water of similar temp. I would say it runs around 64,5 mph on any given day all day, almost regardless of fuel level and outside temps.

    all of the above mods has increased the top speed approx 3-4 MPH vs stock( I have no exact before an after comparision). I also installed it all at once so I havenít checked gains per individual mod.

  8. #8
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,228
    +1
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by SWFLGP1800 View Post
    I had read up on the leaning out on the middle cylinders and IIRC some had claimed the stock ECU calculates for the added air im not 100% ...
    The stock ECU is not going to alter the cylinder to cylinder fuel balance. There are no sensors that monitor individual cylinders.

    If you change the air flow balance (via ribbon delete) to flow (some) more air into the middle cylinders (relative to the end cylinders), the middle cylinders will get more air. But not more fuel than the outer cylinders. Hence slightly more lean in the middle.

    The Stage 1 Plus Riva tune (as an example) would compensate for the ribbon delete by simply adding some fuel delivery to the middle cylinders (well, it does for the SVHO tune, my understanding).

  9. #9
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    17,752
    +1
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The stock ECU is not going to alter the cylinder to cylinder fuel balance. There are no sensors that monitor individual cylinders.

    If you change the air flow balance (via ribbon delete) to flow (some) more air into the middle cylinders (relative to the end cylinders), the middle cylinders will get more air. But not more fuel than the outer cylinders. Hence slightly more lean in the middle.


    The Stage 1 Plus Riva tune (as an example) would compensate for the ribbon delete by simply adding some fuel delivery to the middle cylinders (well, it does for the SVHO tune, my understanding).

    The intake manifold on the NA motor is completely different than on the SVHO. I dont think the same applies as far as middle cylinders being leaner. The stock airbox is a lot more restrictive than the Riva intake. Also, the Riva intake is not just a filter. Its a velocity stack that mounts to the throttle body that smoothes and optimizes airflow into the throttle body. So even by just changing to a filter youre still not getting what the riva kit offers. THe riva kit also includes the crankcase breather filter

  10. +1 by:


  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    The intake manifold on the NA motor is completely different than on the SVHO. I dont think the same applies as far as middle cylinders being leaner. The stock airbox is a lot more restrictive than the Riva intake. Also, the Riva intake is not just a filter. Its a velocity stack that mounts to the throttle body that smoothes and optimizes airflow into the throttle body. So even by just changing to a filter youre still not getting what the riva kit offers. THe riva kit also includes the crankcase breather filter
    Any experience with the Worx intake kit they offer for the 1.8L N/A its priced a fair amount cheaper and still uses velocity stack looks nicer too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How To: DIY Air Intake for 2014 - 2015 FX SVHO for under $75
    By Ski Hacks MG in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-09-2018, 02:34 AM
  2. Fzs diy cold air intake
    By gprenvy in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 04:23 PM
  3. DIY air intake for turbo r12x
    By river123 in forum Honda Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM
  4. 2010 and up VX Cold Air Intake (DIY)
    By TXVXrider in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
  5. Air intake, riva v.s. Diy kanaflex
    By MONSTERMATT in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •