Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What year did Yamaha begin painting their waverunners?

I was wondering what year Yamaha begin painting their WaveRunners? My 2005 Waverunner FX Cruiser is blue gel coat but the I know that the 2016 FX Cruiser ho the green color is paint and chips off easily. So what year was the first year they began spray painting their waverunners?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Perhaps when Yamaha began using NanoXcel hull material?
    NanoXcel hulls first appeared in 2008

NanoXcel.shorturl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Waverunner4Me View Post
    I was wondering what year Yamaha begin painting their WaveRunners? My 2005 Waverunner FX Cruiser is blue gel coat but the I know that the 2016 FX Cruiser ho the green color is paint and chips off easily. So what year was the first year they began spray painting their waverunners?

Quote Originally Posted by Juicybusa View Post

Deleted
    Last edited by Juicybusa; 05-30-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juicybusa View Post

More specifically and unequivocally my 94 waveraider 700 was gelcoat-same level of confidence my 95 waveraider 1100 was painted-your mileage may vary lol 94 was fiberglass 95 smc

+1
    My 1990 Wave 3 was painted, so was my 1990 Superjet.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    My 1990 Wave 3 was painted, so was my 1990 Superjet.
    id forgotten about those but im almost certain the waverunner 500 was painted as well

+1
    Maybe I’m confused, but I never heard of gelcoat on SMC hulls, and SMC is what the 2004+ FX is.

The reason has to do with the fabrication process ... gelcoat is not applied to hull’s exterior, rather it is part of the hull manufacturing, applied to molds.

SMC comes out in flat pliable sheets, hulls are press-heated into shape by an enclave - the process is simply incompatible for a traditional gelcoat stage.

The extruded SMC can be dyed/colored, so it would make good sense to dye SMC blue, if the craft bottom was going to be blue. That said, this does not always happen and a single SMC color is often used for all models (aka too $$ to color SMC for every model rolling off the line).

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Maybe I’m confused, but I never heard of gelcoat on SMC hulls, and SMC is what the 2004+ FX is.

The reason has to do with the fabrication process ... gelcoat is not applied to hull’s exterior, rather it is part of the hull manufacturing, applied to molds.

SMC comes out in flat pliable sheets, hulls are press-heated into shape by an enclave - the process is simply incompatible for a traditional gelcoat stage.

The extruded SMC can be dyed/colored, so it would make good sense to dye SMC blue, if the craft bottom was going to be blue. That said, this does not always happen and a single SMC color is often used for all models (aka too $$ to color SMC for every model rolling off the line).
    Gelcoat can be applied by a brush or sprayed too, not just applied to the surface of a mold, so it really doesn't matter if it's made from SMC or not, especially if you are going over the top of paint or an original gel coat.

+1
    Hey, I'll take your word for it, but that sounds like a repair process - aka adding a protective coating of sorts after the hull construction. Not splitting hairs here - as the term "gel coat" is often used loosely in discussions, and an after-coating certainly is not the same animal.
    Bottom-line a 2005 FX Cruiser does not have a gel coat ontop of SMC - as OEM production. Specification sheet please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information