Red face Need Help From Yamaha 1200 old timer

&nbsp;Thanks in advance if youre reading this. I have a pair of 1200 xlt that came in , both needed full rebuild from crank up due to customers running out of oil. Rebuilt both engines, cleaned fuel tank, put kit in carbs, both run great . Problem is one when you start first time in water runs great revs out etc. let it idle, stop engine, try to start ,number 1 and 2 have water in cyls.I have checked all lines , can find no blockage,.Has ANY ONE RUN ACROSS THIS WITH 1200xlt. Compression is fine all 3 cyls. Could it be cracked exhaust manifold. Oh it has a D-ring. Any ideas my friends??? Thanks in advance, after rebuilding over 75 of these engines over 20 year period this is new one on me.!!!<br><br>

+1
    You've got a head gasket on backwards.Search here for that.There's key to doing it right.I believe the tab faces the exhaust.
    I've wrong before! LOL

+1
    It sounds like you have put the cylinder base gaskets on backward. If you look at the base of the cylinders you will see the tab of the gasket sticking out. All three cylinder tabs should all be on one side if not you will know you have one on wrong. I’ve got several gaskets in the shop I’ll check after wile and see what side the tab is sticking out of. I think it supposed to be on the exhaust side but will have to check.

appreciate the info but head gasket is on correct ! That I'm sure of ,in fact I just double checked it,I dont think that would draw water back in a two stroke 1200pv. the way they are designed even if it was backwards!! Youre absolutely right I have never flipped a base gasket on a 1200 but tab is on carb side. Many thanks ,exactly its supposed to be on exhaust side. I'm bedonka,donk number 1 is on the carb side, I should have caught it but my phone has been ringing a hole in my pocket. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I had forgotten about the two small holes on cylinder needing to be closed by base gasket, man its not like there is no transfer port that has to line up!!!!!!! I'm not going to ask how you knew this LOL!!!!
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 05-29-2020 at 05:41 PM.

+1
    The cylinder to case gaskets will fill your motor with water if they are on backwards. You can take that to the bank. The little tabs should be by the front exhaust cylinder base bolt.

number one backwards causing number one and two to fill when shut down. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

+1
    Glad to help good luck with the build.

+1
    I WAS wrong.Mudslanger is right.Base gasket not head.I know. I did it 10 years ago.I said I could be wrong!

Thread Information