Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    spend some time reading all my forum threads or threads related directly to your particular issue, you'll find these topics covered in depth. The search engine hree is quite good

no reason a rinse out won't let the current filter be serviceable

I'd advise against aftermarket switches. Marine grade switches are expensive, but that's up to you of course. all the limiting and such are controlled in the trim box. trim is kinda like tits on a bull unless you ride open water or tow a water skiier

in regards to fuel line, I'm not going into the can of worms again, that topic be beat to death

maybe other people will want to have that discussion, again

+1
    There ya go, exaggerating again, Peter! There are many that know more than I do, I'm just old enough that I take a lot of breaks while working so I spend a lot of time here.

That goo sounds like the crud on my fuel pump. It had the consistency of gasket sealer and dried very quickly.

That crap could have formed in your carbs, too.

Regarding the trim, that whole circuit seems pretty complicated to me. There is a revolution counter that actually seems to drive the indicator, as well as act as a limit switch so you don't blow a fuse or burn out the motor. I bypassed one on an STS 750 years ago and put a slow blow fuse in it. The idea was to take your hand off the switch as soon as the gauge reached the end so you didn't blow the fuse.

I'd look on Ebay for used trim parts, but make sure the seller guarantees that it will work.

The current inline filter was a paper element I believe. Though I may actually have one of those ones like a sediment bowl laying around. Came off an outboard. But I'll have to get a mesh one so I'll get one ordered soon .

And as far as the lines go none of them look or feel bad. So I'll leave them be for now. And I dont intend to run ethanol so I assume they'll be okay. Probably give the tank another cleaning. I wish I could get at it better but I see no way to get it out without the engine out.

And the more I think of it the more making my own trim controls would be tedious. Though it would be interesting to mull over in my head and see what I could work out. Now the trim is slightly down as to keep the nose down. Seemed to ride good to me that way.

I'll read what your threads and learn what I can. You've been very helpful here so I'm sure I'll figure out what I need to.

Really just one last question for now. What did you think of the pictures of the plugs?

+1
    I'd be tempted to enrich the mixture on the light colored plug just a little.

Well I went ahead and got the right fuel filters ordered. Better to do it right than fast or cheap I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    spend some time reading all my forum threads or threads related directly to your particular issue, you'll find these topics covered in depth. The search engine hree is quite good

no reason a rinse out won't let the current filter be serviceable

I'd advise against aftermarket switches. Marine grade switches are expensive, but that's up to you of course. all the limiting and such are controlled in the trim box. trim is kinda like tits on a bull unless you ride open water or tow a water skiier

in regards to fuel line, I'm not going into the can of worms again, that topic be beat to death

maybe other people will want to have that discussion, again
    I read some of your threads and your quite the mechanic for these things. But I'm curious why did you give up on working on 2 stroke skis? They seem they would be easier not being as needlessly complex as a 4 stroke.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    In the shorter version two strokes have reached the end of their service life as far as being something I can make anything close to my shop rate on outside of jet pumps and key making for seadoos

Thatís all I do on older skis anymore

Iíll still be here now and again to throw some advice out to do it yourselfers who donít deal with crushing overheads and seasonal surges who want to do their own work

This year has been devastating for me Income wise as our lake has been closed to the public since March so I have a lot more time on my hands since until last week I was prohibited from even being at my shop as it was deemed a ďnonessential businessĒ

Besides at 62, Iím pretty close to buying a rocking chair anyway

I hopeyou found some of my posts helpful, if not amusing.

Hopefully both

+1
    Hell! At 62, you're still a pup!

Yea, this Coronavirus nonsense is ridiculous. Being on the water is the safest place to be. Saltwater is even better because it's a natural disinfectant.

Yes, you are helpful AND amusing.

I see what your saying. The value of the ski gets exceeded by the cost of you working on it. Probably still be able to make some money around here haha. Your hard pressed to get a ski newer than a 2000 for anything less than 2000 if it's in good shape. several old 90s machines listed for 1000+

So spun the motor over and it didnt shoot much out or maybe i just didnt put enough in? or isnt the idea that its supposed to work its way past the rings to free them?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information