Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1
    I commonly find bad plug wires, and loose coil connectors on the Kawi triples. You can use a tiny screwdriver to pry the metal tangs on the coil connectors to make tighter connection. Plug wires are 7mm solid core and can be bought by the foot off ebay. Just yank them out of the coils. Fashion a drill bit out of steel tubing if you need to dig the old wire out. Epoxy the new wire in.

Honestly i feel i should start a new post about the other issues? or can i rename this one? any how i noticed the TDR box when i noticed my fuel filter was black as coal inside. full of that crap in the tank. so i messed with getting that out but i dont think you can without the engine out? i broke the filler neck flange for the gas cap so i ordered a new one. What i did notice is this stuff in the tank there isnt very much but its thick and its like a heavy oil? its suspended in the fuel not coating the tank itself. so the way ive got the tanks cocked now its all at one end of the tank so i should be able to stick a hose down in there and suck it right out. Both pickups looked good in the tank. Ill get the wires fixed up too. then take 3 at the lake sometime next weekend. Yesterway was awesome and im hoping i can pry a bit more out of this thing.

So heres what my fuel filter looked like and what prompted me to get a closer look in the tank. Which I've got about 90% of the stuff our. Theres alittle still in the corners of the bottom. But I think a filter will do its job in catching it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200531_172035.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	462406

+1
    What the...????? I can't even guess what that might be. Possibly a synthetic oil that sat and got old enough something seperated out of it??

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    What the...????? I can't even guess what that might be. Possibly a synthetic oil that sat and got old enough something seperated out of it??
    Ive got No clue myself?? its oily so long as it was in gas. but the second this stuff gets on your skin it dries fast and its dried out. And its interesting because the skis oiling system is in good shape so far as i can tell. good lines nothing brittle. looks to be a newer oil pump. Now if it did in fact have a rebuild and they were running the gas mixed on top of the oiling system like your supposed to that could explain it? if its oil. but that would mean they never got out of the break in before being let sit for so long. either way its about all out of there. got me wanting to get those carbs out and really go through them thoroughly but i didnt see any evidence before riding saturday. and from what i can tell the filter caught everything?

Im gonna get and keep a few filters in the skis compartment. Ive also got to get all the lines where there secured, everyone of those things that are suppoed to hold the lines have fell off. and once all thats good im gonna pull the Electrical box and inspect it and the coils. clean the plugs and hit the lake again and check them. right now im stuck waiting on the part i broke.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Iíve seen that funk before

Little know fact but Iíve mentioned it before

Some two stroke oils can allow the growth of bacteria if allowed to sit

I assume the PO added some injector oil to the fuel tank to assist with the break in of the new rings

Do not fall to the temptation to put a paper filter in line youíll lose the engine

Full drain as you mentioned and to be safe change as much fuel line as you can easily reach cheap enough fix.

The spark on that model is not the brightest light btw unlike a ski like a Polaris Fitch which can stop your heart

I think the thread title is fine and the action here is good a progression from wtf to omg itís strong

If you find a couple of idle days the marvel mystery oil trick still applies as sometimes solvent is needed to dissolve crud

Even fuel injectors canít self clean by being run hard at times

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I’ve seen that funk before

Little know fact but I’ve mentioned it before

Some two stroke oils can allow the growth of bacteria if allowed to sit

I assume the PO added some injector oil to the fuel tank to assist with the break in of the new rings

Do not fall to the temptation to put a paper filter in line you’ll lose the engine

Full drain as you mentioned and to be safe change as much fuel line as you can easily reach cheap enough fix.

The spark on that model is not the brightest light btw unlike a ski like a Polaris Fitch which can stop your heart

I think the thread title is fine and the action here is good a progression from wtf to omg it’s strong

If you find a couple of idle days the marvel mystery oil trick still applies as sometimes solvent is needed to dissolve crud

Even fuel injectors can’t self clean by being run hard at times
    So dont run the filter ive been using? its the one that was in there so i just put the same back. What kind of filter should i run?

I looked and alot a people recommend a sea doo filter as it also acts as a water separator? any clue which one there referring to? And from what i understand a paper element may not flow enough or may clog up with water?
    Last edited by Bman; 06-01-2020 at 12:15 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the kawasaki OEM mesh filter is good for now, you can backwash it with some fresh gas and lots of agitiation until its clear. There are plenty of alternative nylon mesh filters on the market but the attachment bands don't work on those

the seadoo filter is one that Steve45 has made reference too a number of times. Its superior in some ways to the oem filter as it has a sediment bowl and a cleanable nylon mesh fine screen filter

it does require some mounting alternations for your hull. I tend to suggest it when my customers have an issue with their fuel supplier and ignore advice to buy only the ethanol free gas they sell up at the lake gas station
    the seadoo part # is

you can order it from the forum store ( OEM parts link above) $27

the kawasaki OEM filter is more expensive, doesn't trap water but has a bigger flow capacity

Steve45 if you don't know, is one of the resident Kawasaki experts on GH He's as sharp as the come on stuff like this, for one.

and you are right on the money on the paper filter failing. I've made small fortunes off of those over the years.

Sometimes all it takes to "fixit" is to replace that filter with an OEM. They think I'm some kind of magician when its roiling out the door within minutes of coming in on a busy weekend

I give then the old filter and a bait of plastic tubing and tell them to try to blow thru it. They are often in shock

always good for an excellent tip too and I just made a customer for a good long time, since thewy typically come in all long in the face thinking they needed a pricey carb rebuild

They typically do a year or too later and I'm right there to do it.

So would any mesh filter be suitable? Or does size matter to any degree? Trying to avoid ordering one but will if necessary. the auto stores have those glass ones but I hear those are a no no. And I know about those little mesh ones you use an lawnmowers but I'd say they aren't big enough?

And if I wanted to replace all the lines what's the best line?

And an off topic question. could one not simply power the trim motor on one of these with a 3 position switch?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information