Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    h2jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,207
    +1
    74

    RIDE help please

    2017 GP1800. When I pull the RIDE trigger the motor revs to 6000 rpm. Has anyone experienced this? What could the problem be? Thanks.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,212
    +1
    2,135
    Is this high revving in reverse happening in the water or on the trailer?

    Does the reverse bucket lower when you squeeze the RiDE lever?

    Does it shift properly between forward, neutral and reverse bucket positions?

    Any warning on the dash?

    Stock ECU or aftermarket tune?

  3. #3
    h2jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,207
    +1
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this high revving in reverse happening in the water or on the trailer?

    Does the reverse bucket lower when you squeeze the RiDE lever?

    Does it shift properly between forward, neutral and reverse bucket positions?

    Any warning on the dash?

    Stock ECU or aftermarket tune?
    All stock. Does it on the trailer here but the guy says it does it on the water. ECU has codes but nothing related.

  4. #4
    h2jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,207
    +1
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this high revving in reverse happening in the water or on the trailer?

    Does the reverse bucket lower when you squeeze the RiDE lever?

    Does it shift properly between forward, neutral and reverse bucket positions?

    Any warning on the dash?

    Stock ECU or aftermarket tune?
    All stock. Does it on the trailer here but the guy says it does it on the water. ECU has codes but nothing related.

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,212
    +1
    2,135
    Find the large white square electrical connector for the RiDE motor cable. Near the lower left corner (left side as when standing behind the hull) of electrical panel area, the RiDE multi-wire cable runs aft to rear left corner of the hull.

    Unplug, inspect. Look for bent/broken or possibly just loose contacts/pins.

    If no problems found inside, no corrosion, no damaged wires, then reconnect and ensure it snaps together completely and latches. Check if problem has gone away or changed.

    Also unplug, inspect and reseat the fuse box connectors.

    If the large cover/shroud for the electrical panel is still in place, removing it can provide more access room. Seat support must be removed first to get the large plastic shroud out of the hull.

    I took my electrical cover out a long time ago, along with the plastic engine cover. Both are in a storage bin now.
    Last edited by K447; 05-29-2020 at 07:43 PM.

  6. #6
    h2jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,207
    +1
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Find the large white square electrical connector for the RiDE motor cable. Near the lower left corner of electrical panel area, the RiDE multi-wire cable runs aft to rear left corner of the hull.

    Unplug, inspect. Look for bent/broken or possibly just loose contacts/pins.

    If no problems found inside, no corrosion, no damaged wires, then reconnect and ensure it snaps together completely and latches. Check if problem has gone away or changed.

    Also unplug, inspect and reseat the fuse box connectors.

    If the large cover/shroud for the electrical panel is still in place, removing it can provide more access room. Seat support must be removed first to get the large plastic shroud out of the hull.

    I took my electrical cover out a long time ago, along with the plastic engine cover. Both are in a storage bin now.
    Ok thanks. I'll check that. When i fired it up on the hose the alarm sounded and check engine light flashed. The RIDE acted like a throtle for the engine.

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,212
    +1
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    ... When i fired it up on the hose the alarm sounded and check engine light flashed.

    The RIDE acted like a throtle for the engine.
    The left side RiDE lever is a throttle for the engine, indirectly. The left lever sends a signal to the RiDE motor+control unit in the rear of the hull. The RiDE unit then signals the engine ECU to provide moderate throttle levels. RPM limited in reverse.

    Do you know what codes were triggered?

  8. #8
    h2jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,207
    +1
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The left side RiDE lever is a throttle for the engine, indirectly. The left lever sends a signal to the RiDE motor+control unit in the rear of the hull. The RiDE unit then signals the engine ECU to provide moderate throttle levels. RPM limited in reverse.

    Do you know what codes were triggered?
    162-SCU
    103- no information
    10- no information
    82- no information
    80- no information

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    42,212
    +1
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    162-SCU
    103- no information
    10- no information
    82- no information
    80- no information
    SCU is the RiDE system.

  10. #10
    h2jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,207
    +1
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    SCU is the RiDE system.
    Ok great. I cleared the code. Going to inspect the plug today. I couldn't find that code in the list of Yamaha codes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Ride for Dad Ride; Rideau Ferry Harbour, Ontario, Canada
    By Rustymuscle in forum The Watercraft Journal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2016, 11:10 AM
  2. Last Weeks ride with stock ride plate back on for pro 785
    By skigolfnut in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 09:41 AM
  3. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 08:11 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •