STX 15f Pump inspection question

On my 2017

pumps out and apart. There are videos and write ups on this. But no solid write up or videos on what to check after the pulling the pump part other the water intrusion.

1. once the pump is removed the drive shaft has in and out play. And some up and down. Thinking its a slip fit in the holder and is normal.

2. Why remove the whole pump and you can just pull the end cone? Just to feel the bearings? Seems all everyone talks about looking for water intrusion as the inspection And just the cone would do it.

3. bearings have a little grease around the inner race, is that from assembly or leaking out of the bearing?

4. Lucas marine grease ok, for splines? Book just says waterproof. There was water in the prop side when removed.

5. Put any grease on transom seal before install?

6. Is the double bearing sufficient at preventing engine failure or do you recommend the 300 threaded shaft or ebays Kawasaki performances pump mod (Aftermarket threaded shaft, nut, and cone kit)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0DAC938-BE59-42D2-B786-6176C883D6D8.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	462311  
    Last edited by Jray3369; 05-29-2020 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jray3369 View Post
    On my 2017pumps out and apart. There are videos and write ups on this. But no solid write up or videos on what to check after the pulling the pump part other the water intrusion. 1. once the pump is removed the drive shaft has in and out play. And some up and down. Thinking its a slip fit in the holder and is normal.2. Why remove the whole pump and you can just pull the end cone? Just to feel the bearings? Seems all everyone talks about looking for water intrusion as the inspection And just the cone would do it. 3. bearings have a little grease around the inner race, is that from assembly or leaking out of the bearing?4. Lucas marine grease ok, for splines? Book just says waterproof. There was water in the prop side when removed.5. Put any grease on transom seal before install?6. Is the double bearing sufficient at preventing engine failure or do you recommend the 300 threaded shaft or ebays Kawasaki performances pump mod (Aftermarket threaded shaft, nut, and cone kit)
    Unfortunately, Kawasaki never specified how to check the service limits (that I'm aware of) on the pump shaft or bearings, which is why an annual rudimentary inspection is required. See my responses below, based on my own experience. 1. once the pump is removed the drive shaft has in and out play. And some up and down. Thinking its a slip fit in the holder and is normal.RE: Normal. Spline fittings always have some play. 2. Why remove the whole pump and you can just pull the end cone? Just to feel the bearings? Seems all everyone talks about looking for water intrusion as the inspection And just the cone would do it.RE: Part of the annual pump inspection is to also check the impeller clearance/housing wear/blade condition, which requires the pump to be removed. If you have abnormal housing wear it could be a sign the liner and/or pump bearings need replacement. 3. bearings have a little grease around the inner race, is that from assembly or leaking out of the bearing?RE: Could be from either, but does not necessarily indicate a defective bearing. 4. Lucas marine grease ok, for splines? Book just says waterproof. There was water in the prop side when removed.RE: Yes, any marine grease will work. This is to prevent corrosion from binding the driveshaft to the impeller on the exposed end (pump side), but also keeps the splines/mating surfaced lubed to minimize wear. Important step if you ride in salt water. Also, a Sea-Doo impeller rubber nose cone/collar from a 1997 era GSX, GTX, etc. stays in place/seals a lot better than the Kawi version that sometimes ends up coming loose and creeping down the driveshaft. 5. Put any grease on transom seal before install?RE: As a general rule, the grease should be compatible with rubber. The manual does not state to use a lube. I used o-ring lube for more than 20 years. That stuff is super viscous. 6. Is the double bearing sufficient at preventing engine failure or do you recommend the 300 threaded shaft or ebays Kawasaki performances pump mod (Aftermarket threaded shaft, nut, and cone kit)RE: Since you have a 2017, your pump should already be fitted with 3 bearing, 3 seal configuration. I suggest just running the stock parts, since it's already a big improvement over the old 2 bearing setup.

Thank you. So I'm all good, I did not use any grease on the pump seal to the ski.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    in regards to inspection...

pull the pump cone to check for water is suggest every 50 hour/seasonally especially if you pull water skiers or tubes, ride exceptionally hard
    pulling the pump and endcone to check bearing condition ( just a hand spin to check for obvious roughness ) and to apply grease to drive shaft/prop splines is suggested yearly at end of season

+1
    I smear grease on the big seal. Won't hurt, makes it easier to slide the pump on & off.

Also, this might make it easier for you to get the pump back on: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...71#post3074771

Thread Information