Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The grease would lubricate the lips of the shaft seals, correct?
    there are no lips on the side that the shaft slides into the assembly looks like a 100 % sealed piece it looks similar to the hub assembly everything is pressed together so any rotating piece will be sealed together

I can see why they removed the grease tube now once it’s filled up there is no reason to re grease also I could see where greasing it could pop the seal

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    there are no lips on the side that the shaft slides into the assembly ...

The driveshaft slides inside the mid-shaft rotating part, but the water seal is around the mid-shaft itself, correct?

And that is where the grease goes, into the cavity where the seals reside, correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E8DC09C-E9B5-49FD-AB27-5CF5935B5451.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	463395  

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    n

The driveshaft slides inside the mid-shaft rotating part, but the water seal is around the mid-shaft itself, correct?

And that is where the grease goes, into the cavity where the seals reside, correct?
    Nope the female side that see’s the water is sealed off like the hub and the seal seals against the hull like a gasket

+1
    . . . .
    I also got a good look at the bearing assembly and there is no reason to grease it you are just putting grease in a rubber seal and housing nothing gets to the bearing the grease is just to fill a void and some corrosion protection that I could see it staying there forever
    Please clarify your comments above . . . I'm assuming you are not referencing greasing via the Zerk fitting, and rather referencing the back of the IB housing, aka the void area that mates with the mid wall partition?

If yes, there is indeed a rubber "lip" ring that mates/seals up with the partition wall., and it's a good topic to bring up, because this is one area in the design where I take some issue. I ride in saltwater, and water does get into that void by design, worse (and where I take issue) it's nearly impossible to flush that void. Water typical stagnates in there (in the lower-half of that void), and yes can promote corrosion on the IB housing. This corrosion on the housing body typical then "warps" or deforms that rubber lip seal to the point where it can no-longer seal against the mid wall. I agree that (when you have the IB out and reinstalling) you can fill the void with extra grease (and I personally do). And while yes, grease likely won't stay there long, perhaps enough residue will as to provide some added corrosion protection. Also, the aft-most steal hub flange thing with rubber cover over it does little to hold-back the water. Rather, I deduce it's there to spare the shaft seals from the full brunt of abrupt pressure changes in the shaft tunnel from the forces in the jet pump.

I can see why they removed the grease tube now once it’s filled up there is no reason to re grease also I could see where greasing it could pop the seal
    Okay, so now you are referencing the Zerk grease point, yes?
    So did Yamaha changed the design (aka no Zerk nipple)? I had my 2012 IB fully broken-down and in-hand few years back. . . so my perspective might be dated, but I'll strongly disagree here. If there is a Zerk, it is there for a reason. While disassembled, I confirmed it follows a small passageway through the rubber body dampener and to the area where the bearing and shaft seals sits. And as I pointed out a few posts above with the (2012) shop manual's diagram, you really can't "blow" or dis-logged any of the shaft seals due to the spring on the back of the seal's lips - aka it permits excess grease to pass, then spring tension returns the seal to lay back onto the shaft.
    BTW, I grease mine every couple of rides or so, and I always get a few burps/farts of old (semi contaminated) grease out the front of the mid-shaft. Obviously I'll be due for new aft seal someday, but until then regular greasing will most certainly extend the life here

6. +1 by:

Idk maybe the design changed but the zerk fitting looks like it’s there just to fill the voids once the housing is assembled after that I saw no reason to grease it. The whole assembly was sealed up and the seal was there just to seal against the hull. I was paying attention more to the side that seals against the hull because that’s where my problem was grease could have come out the other side (inside the hull) but not on the water side.

+1
    Trust me . . . you (or service dept) will need to grease that IB from time to time - it is after all a part of the prescribed service intervals.

///break///

For discussion purposes, and all those following this thread, I can attempt to de-mystify things somewhat . . .
    Please reference the pic below - it is my “ready-spare”.
    Oh, ignore the blue painter’s tape on the coupler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ib_b01.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	463433

Top of the pic is showing the back of the IB (the side that mates with the mid-wall partition).
    I want to make a point that the housing is actually two pieces fused by what I’ll refer to as a rubber molded “boot”. There is an inner metal ring (basically like a short piece of pipe), and an outer housing shell. Two are not officially connected to each other, rather fused together with a big hunk of rubber in between. This boot allows the pipe to have some vibration dampening - float. Inside the pipe piece, is where the bearing and 3 mid-shaft seals are inserted. The service manual states you must support the pipe while pressing the shaft in/out – otherwise risk tearing the boot.
    You can see the “lip” that is molded a a part of the boot

In-line with the Zerk nipple, you’ll note a rise or small hump in the boot. This is a small passageway where the grease travels inward, as it makes it’s way to the pipe section, where a hole through the pipe allows the grease to the inner space of the pipe, basically bathes the bearing, outer mid-shaft surfaces, and the 3 mid-shaft seals (as excess slips under the seal lips). Like I said, that Zerk is there for a reason, so everyone should be greasing it regularly. Over-filling with grease can be felt by distinguishable resistance in the grease gun trigger. And yes, you can still pump more grease in SLOWLY. No, not at risk of blowing the seals, rather you don’t want to prematurely de-laminate the inner boot cavity. Going slowly prevents too much internal pressure build-up, by giving the seals a chance to let the excess slip past. I cannot see a seal itself blowing out (unless defective), as the tiny spring on the back of the seal’s lip - aka that one seen in the front seal (lower pic) permits this flexing of the lip. The aft side has two seals point aft, but they are behind that flange. And because one seal is less resistance than 2 seals, that’s where the majority of the excess grease will go - coupler-side. Sure, excess can ooze by the 2 aft seals and get into that void area too.

The voided area: again, pretty much all the back of the boot is the void. Sea water can and does get here. It can “work” on that pipe surface you see there and begin to de-laminate the boot from the outer pipe surface and into the grease cavity. If that happens get a totally new IB housing.

Side-note: shaft spline o-rings: as you can see, the mid-shaft is hollow. The pump shaft inserts inside, and those two o-rings keep the water out of the splines. Note that greasing the IB Zerk does not grease the shaft spline area - there are simply no passages for this. Thus greasing the splines is a one-time effort each time you install the jet pump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ib_b02.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	463434

Finally, the bearing itself is open. So when you pump grease into the Zerk, and it makes it’s way to the inner pipe, the grease essentially floods the bearing – which is how that works.

9. +1 by:

That looks nothing like the housing I looked at. It was all solid smooth metal and the seal was on the edges of where the bolt holes are. I think maybe they changed the housing

+1
    That looks nothing like the housing I looked at. It was all solid smooth metal and the seal was on the edges of where the bolt holes are. I think maybe they changed the housing
    Hmmmmm.... I'm not seeing any big changes to the IB as per the fiche (2008-2020) ... perhaps you are referencing the "other" IB unit Yamaha made ??
    i.e., I see in your sig-line you own both FZ and VX skis ... while this thread references the FZ type. Now that I've gone back to reread your posts, it sounds like you are describing the other one.

12. +1 by:

Mine also takes on 3+ gallons after riding for 15 min lol, definitely coming from my mid shaft bearing seal, the rubber is known to come off of the aluminum.. I’m going to be doing that job in the next week or so

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information