Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Push start and 1 CLICK!

HI Guys, I just bought a 2013 vx1100 not running and has sat for years (which may or may not have been a good deal). I powered it up and only 18.3 hours on meter. I pulled the pump because that was frozen/rusted. Push fresh plugs, oil, oil filter, charged up battery and CLICK - nothing. neg battery cable smoked some. I took out and tested the starter relay (clicks and got readings/numbers on multimeter). I felt under ski and the starter is really corroded/ rusty, so that must come out. I also removed the coupler and tried to rotate shaft by hand. should I be able to move the shaft? some boards say yes, some no. any help will do. oh I also removed the valve for shits and giggles super clean, then shot some wd40 down the spark plug holes. Please pour you wisdom on me!

+1
    Welcome aboard, hpux1560!

No, letting it sit for years was not a good idea.

Why was the starter corroded? Was there water inside the hull?

If you remove the spark plugs you should be able to turn the crankshaft by hand, but it will have a lot of drag.

thanks for reply Steve. first off I am a chick! so far when trying to turn crank by hand with spark plugs out - no bueno (buy maybe I dont have the strength) this ski came from saltwater area lots of corrosion. oil filter was rusted on outside (but not inside that was clean). Starter is rusty corroded as well. there probably was water in it from sitting. when I go it, I sucked out 1/2 inch water out.

+1
    Saltwater turds can be a real nightmare! So much could be wrong. I used to be a saltwater boater when I lived in Florida up until Aug 2015. Many people are just too lazy to do the after-ride flushing or are just ignorant of what needs to be done.

hpux, it sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you. If it were me, I'd hose down the entire inside of the ski with the drain plugs out trying to get as much of that saltwater out of there as possible. Next, I'd remove the spark plugs and squirt some penetrating oil down into the cylinders then I'd remove that crusty starter. The WD40 that you sprayed may do the job. I've got a can of PB Blaster and that is what I'd use. Since you've already got the pump removed you know that a locked up impeller/wear ring isn't the issue.

After the starter is out and the penetrating oil has had a chance to work, maybe you could turn the engine over by hand. I think that you've disconnected the driveshaft so at this point the only thing keeping the engine from turning over would be the engine itself.

Hey guys, here is my update. so I was able to turn the coupler with a pipe wrench about 1/3 each way (counter and clockwise) then hit something and no further. next step is engine out. Unless you guys think I can get the reduction gear case off without removing engine?

+1
    That is not good. I doubt that it's a problem with the gears.

Has any oil spilled inside the hull? This would be indicative of a broken connecting rod or other internal engine damage.

Pull the spark plugs and look down the spark plug holes with an inspection camera (available from Harbor Freight or online). Could be a piston hitting a stuck valve or something. You may see marks on top of a piston, or if you use a mirror attachment you might see a bent valve.

I wish you had found us before you bought it!

There was milky oil water mixture on bottom towards back but that might have moved to back when trailering

+1
    Get a mirror & flashlight, or camera, and look carefully at the bottom of the engine. Feel around for any broken pieces laying in the bottom of the hull. What you're looking for is a hole in the crankcase or oil pan.

+1
    Did you figure out anything on this?

Hey guys, yup..... I took the motor out on sunday (then needed a rest). Last night I took the oil pan off and all the pieces fell out (just like the bottom of the pretzel bag). the motor is toast. so I spent the rest of the night stripping everything re-usable out, with the exception of the flywheel magneto and starter gear - I do not have the "special tool" does anyone know what size bolt I can use to remove? so I am weighing my options on where to go next. level the thing in a parking lot or replace the motor. if I go replace the motor not sure if I go SBT or used motor off ebay (which may/maynot) be same piece of crap I just ripped out. any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information