Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hpux1560 View Post
    Hey guys, yup..... I took the motor out on sunday (then needed a rest). Last night I took the oil pan off and all the pieces fell out (just like the bottom of the pretzel bag). the motor is toast. so I spent the rest of the night stripping everything re-usable out, with the exception of the flywheel magneto and starter gear - I do not have the "special tool" does anyone know what size bolt I can use to remove? so I am weighing my options on where to go next. level the thing in a parking lot or replace the motor. if I go replace the motor not sure if I go SBT or used motor off ebay (which may/maynot) be same piece of crap I just ripped out. any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by hpux1560; 06-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Last edited by hpux1560; 06-02-2020 at 03:22 PM.

+1
    Man, I'm sorry to hear that! There are no inexpensive solutions. The best thing would be to find a Waverunner, or boat, that uses the same engine where the hull has been wrecked. Offhand, I don't know which models use that engine, but I'm sure others here can chime in.

The other option is to part out what's left. Jet pumps, displays, etc. bring a fair amount of money. Seats are expensive, but they're very expensive to ship, too.

Any chance of getting help from the previous owner?

EDIT: What special tool do you need? Are you trying to remove the flywheel bolt? If so, just put a piece of rope down one of the spark plug holes, which will keep the piston from moving all the way up.

this is what I am trying to get off. I am skeptical about buying a used motor-cannot trust anyone it seems. the guys who sold it to me never mentioned it would need a new motor, just a freshen up and new jet pump........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	462563  

+1
    Unfortunately you canít take a seller at his word on a ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
    Unfortunately you can’t take a seller at his word on a ski.
    Absolutely correct!

I always get a kick out of seeing an ad stating something like, "Ran good the last time I had it on the water."

well. I own it! so I need to make my mistake positive. does anyone have a vx1100 engine for sale in good working condition?

what do you guys think I should pay for the engine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hpux1560 View Post
    well. I own it! so I need to make my mistake positive. does anyone have a vx1100 engine for sale in good working condition?

what do you guys think I should pay for the engine?
    I wish I could point you in the right direction to find a good, used engine. Obviously I'm not looking in the right places because I never see a used, 4-stroke PWC engine for sale. I'm on craigslist everyday and I see an occasional 2-stroke but the 4-strokes are scarce as hen's teeth. Maybe someone else has an idea of where to look. No idea what the price would be.

+1
    I haven't removed a flywheel from that particular model of engine, but it certainly appears that you screw a bolt into that threaded hole in the middle of the flywheel and it will come off when you tighten it. To keep it from moving, remove a spark plug and thread some rope through the spark plug hole. If you've pulled the cylinders off, you'll have to put one back on, but you don't need rings. Another option would be to take it to your local dealer.

+1
    hpux1560 - I highly recommend that you do not go with any "reman" or "new clone" MR1 engine - as these are guaranteed to have inferior/aftermarket piston and parts, and assembled by folks whom might have had a liquid-lunch. And even with that so-call warranty, you'll simply get tired of constantly swapping the "free" replacement(s). These engines likely serve a single-purpose --> make it run long enough to sell it.

Like others have mentioned, find an original used yamaha engine, or a builder with a good rep & uses yamaha OEM parts.

You could also just accept the life lesson some dirt-bag handed you and move-on, go find another ski, and enlist a qualified mechanic/inspector this time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information