+1

Vibration Felt Thru Handlebars

I've got a weird issue I just can't track down. While going straight (any speed) I get no vibration at all thru the bars, but with just a slight movement of the bars to the right and I get a light buzzing vibration. Go back straight and it stops. I get no vibration when you turn the bars to the left, just to the right.

You would think it would be easy to track down, but I've been over every inch of this ski and I can't find anything wrong. The steering (stock) under the bars all works smooth, it tight and hits nothing. Watching the rear of the ski while someone turns the bars, I see nothing out of the ordinary, no rubbing, nothing loose or out of adjustment.

Obviously I can't look around while it's doing it, but I feel like with a buzzing vibration feel, it's got to be coming from the engine compartment.

Anyone ever run into anything like this.

+1
    Taking your word that all linkages are tight, yet sounds like something could be (like the steering nozzle) oscillating during the slight rider right input. How about the pivot regions of the steering nozzle - aka the upper and lower bolts may be tight, but wear could widen holes = more slop.
    So why not then on slight left as well ?? Hmmmm, random-thought . . . the siphon tube is on the port side of the nozzle, so a slight right could move the steering nozzle deflection into more turbulent side of the jet-stream output, yet a slight left - not so much. Honestly, I can't remember if there ever was a noticeable difference, as mine was removed long ago.

+1
    I’ll check the steering nozzle out again. The siphon tube is long gone so that’s not it.
    It feels like the steering arm is contacting part of the engine, which I know is ridiculous but that’s what it feels like.
    I’m wondering if a vibration in the hull could transmit into the steering cable?
    Last edited by Baja FZS; 05-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja FZS View Post
    It feels like the steering arm is contacting part of the engine ...

Iím wondering if a vibration in the hull could transmit into the steering cable?
    Check the routing of the steering cable itself around the engine. When the engine is running in the water there will be varying tension in the steering cable as you turn left versus right.

Perhaps the steering cable is flexing slightly and contacting the engine somewhere when you turn to the right.

Thread Information