2002 Polaris Virage I 800 direct Check engine on-Flashing red light

2002 Polaris Virage I 800 direct Check engine on-Flashing red light
    Just recently the warning and light came on. The PWC is running fine, no issues, not sure what it could be. Can you reset check engine warning?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome aboard

if you sniff around the K447 polaris tech pages ( see signature link) an find information on how to use a 12v LED to read the actual error code

for now, check that the battery is showing at at the least 13v when running and if its a lead acid battery you don't have a dry cell and your oil tank is not near empty

when you resolve the fault, the check engine light will go off.

+1
    Welcome. What does the display SAY when the red warning light is on?

Thank you for the welcome and replies.
    I found a black round electric valve hanging that came off a grey square plastic block on the left side of the exhaust near the front of exhaust, it was leaking water from it in the hull. I placed the valve back on and that stopped the water leak. The ski runs fine, I see that the display is showing that the oil tank is full but it is not, could this be the issue with the flashing red light and the message "Check Engine"? I can rest the flashing red light by pushing display button, but check engine does not go off. If I disconnect battery and reconnect, Check engine goes off for awhile then comes back on along with flashing red light. Any suggestions? And what was the hanging valve mentioned earlier and how important is this part, could this be the issue? Thanks for any help and comments! Brian

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the electric gizo is a water injector for the exhaust

I recall ( it's been a while and I'm getting kinda old now) that a low oil level would trigger a check engine, but the issue comes from a bad oil sender. yours is stuck high and needs attention, so that's one good outcome from your arrival here. Always best practice to eyeball the oil tank level on a polaris as the oild senders are problematic. Be careful as the sender grommet may be kinda gummy by now and leaks are possible and that gets messy really really fast

if you watch the check engine display, it should cycle to a secondary message, if not you'll need to confirm that the battery is actually charging at the correct voltage.

Please don't make me ask the same question twice. You're getting valuable advice here, so please read the messages we send and respond to ALL questions lest something important gets missed and you end up losing the engine

One thing you do not want to do with a polaris disconnect reconnect the battery or use a floor charger on it or charge it while it is connected. The engine controller is more sensitive then I appear to be and spiking it will lead to a bad result.

Most likely suspect here is low or high battery voltage since the engine appears to run fine. I suspect high voltage as low voltage, well, the battery would go dead. Second would be a damaged temp sensor since the water injection system was offline for a while

do not trust the dashboard for an accurate voltage reading. get a decent voltmeter on it and assure you've got 13v or better but no higher then 14.5 on the engine when quickly blipping the thottle. DO NOT run the engine out of the water for longer then 20 seconds at a time, with at least a ten minute rest. The engine controller is water cooled and can burn out without a supply of running water. Very few polaris skis have the factory flush kit installed so alot of diagnostics have to be done with the ski in water. Not very convenient for most folks. I have a 2000 gallon water tank at my shop to deal with those, and a flush kit attachment I use for diagnostics

homework:read the polaris pages, all of em. It's vital for your skis survival that you have been exposed to all of that stuff. Might want to read lots of posts by HiPeRcO too, he's one of the sharpest polaris guys on the forum, along with K447. I tend to rant alot, but some of my stuff is pretty decent too.

you'll find information on the led trouble reading led setup.

If you're dedicated to this excellent ski, you can consider adding a code reader to your toolbox. The polaris model can be had in the forum store ( link above) and is made by Candoo. It'll pay for itself virtually the first time you use it to solve a problem since shops that will actually work on that ski are few and far inbetween. PC laptop requried

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brian1965 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome and replies.

I found a black round electric valve hanging that came off a grey square plastic block on the left side of the exhaust near the front of exhaust, it was leaking water from it in the hull. ...

... I see that the display is showing that the oil tank is full but it is not, could this be the issue with the flashing red light and the message "Check Engine"?

I can rest the flashing red light by pushing display button, but check engine does not go off .

If I disconnect battery and reconnect, Check engine goes off for awhile then comes back on along with flashing red light. Any suggestions?

And what was the hanging valve mentioned earlier and how important is this part, could this be the issue? Thanks for any help and comments! Brian
    Click here, start reading.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Find the Ficht section and read up on deleting the water injection solenoid.

Also read the MFI section for the text/diagnostic messages that can appear on the MFI display and what causes them

Thread Information