Sport Mode - Return to Idle to Activate?

First time PWC owner and poster,

Hello, we just spent our first weekend on our new 2019 leftover Spark Trixx 2-up. First time we tried Sport mode we were able to activate it. Next time and every subsequent time trying to activate it since a message pops up that says "Sport Mode-Return to Idle to Activate". We've tried everything to get into neutral/idle; tapping throttle, tapping iBR, tapping both, different combos, etc. Does the RPM have to be below a certain threshold? It idles at 1850 out of the water. Didn't look while in the water. Does the iBR bucket need to be adjusted? Internet searches haven't found any possible solutions.

Thoughts?

Thanks, and btw, the machine is great. Kids spent the entire weekend riding it. 10 hours in 2 days.

Rob

2. +1 by:

Were you trying to activate sport mode out of the water? You also know that you can't run these for more than 60 seconds out of the water without damaging the carbon seal on the prop shaft, ya?

Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    Were you trying to activate sport mode out of the water? You also know that you can't run these for more than 60 seconds out of the water without damaging the carbon seal on the prop shaft, ya?
    Yes, kept it running for less than 30 seconds. I was trying to activate it one last time before I put it away for the weekend. Was trying to understand idle RPM; but didn't consider impact without water. Guessing in-water rpm somewhere around 1500rpm?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Sparks do not have the "carbon seal" like other Doo's.
    Start ski, hold red mode button down for 2 seconds,(should get 2 beeps)..
    Then 1 tap of the red mode button will get you into sport mode.
    Sounds to me like you are not hitting the mode button after the system goes into "mode select"...
    So 1 push-n-hold gets you into "mode select" ,the next button push switches from eco to sport or sport back to eco.
    The only thing that will stop/block the switching of modes is the throttle being opened.
    idle speed,reverse bucket, none of it will affect getting in and out of sport mode..

6. +1 by:

Thank Keyzbum. I uploaded a video of me trying to get it to enter sport mode; was trying it out of the water right before weekend storage. Notice that I get three beeps at the original 2 second press vs the desired 2 beeps. Every subsequent "press" does nothing. Guessing the third beep is a notification beep of the issue.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rathrbboatn View Post
    Thank Keyzbum. I uploaded a video of me trying to get it to enter sport mode; was trying it out of the water right before weekend storage. Notice that I get three beeps at the original 2 second press vs the desired 2 beeps. Every subsequent "press" does nothing. Guessing the third beep is a notification beep of the issue.
    Nice video.
    Looks to me that the ecu is seeing the throttle is open too much to switch modes.
    Might be time for a dealer check.
    It could the the throttle lever resistance(fly-by-wire) or the throttle body sensors...
    With the ski off Flick the throttle and let it snap back a couple of times and then start ski and try to get into sport mode.
    Maybe even push and hold the throttle lever more forward(idle) and see if that does it.
    The system will let you use the mode button to switch modes while riding at speed but until the throttle lever is let to go to idle it will not switch to the selected mode..

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    Sparks do not have the "carbon seal" like other Doo's.
    Thanks for the correction. Nice to know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    Thanks for the correction. Nice to know.
    Even if it does not have a carbon seal, this is found in the shop manual:

"When watercraft is out of water:
    – Never run engine without supplying water to
    the exhaust system.
    – Never run engine longer than 2 minutes.
    Drive line seal has no cooling when watercraft
    is out of water."

On the original matter, it looks like the ECU detects that either the throttle is not closed, throttle lever not at idle position or the rpm is too high. Idle rpm in water should be around 1400, not sure how much higher it is out of the water, but I have switched to sport mode many times out of the water so normally it should not be an issue.

Probably a trip to the dealer is what is needed, unless you have somebody with a BUDS terminal to check stuff.

11. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    Even if it does not have a carbon seal, this is found in the shop manual:

"When watercraft is out of water:
    – Never run engine without supplying water to
    the exhaust system.
    – Never run engine longer than 2 minutes.
    Drive line seal has no cooling when watercraft
    is out of water."

On the original matter, it looks like the ECU detects that either the throttle is not closed, throttle lever not at idle position or the rpm is too high. Idle rpm in water should be around 1400, not sure how much higher it is out of the water, but I have switched to sport mode many times out of the water so normally it should not be an issue.

Probably a trip to the dealer is what is needed, unless you have somebody with a BUDS terminal to check stuff.

Thanks all. Going to try your suggestions this weekend and if still an issue will get something scheduled at my dealer. Works great other than this small issue so not too big a deal. Appreciate the help.

13. +1 by:

Thread Information