Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

19í GP1800R water leak

Hi all, so I have a 2019 GP1800R approx 24hrs on the machine. Bought it last year in August and experience no issues. Recently had put it in the water and notice slight water in the bilge in front of the ride plate mounts. Luckily I have removed the big bulky stock exhuast and went with a riva free flow I thought possibly itís coming from the front storage compartment from waves hitting the front but I find it hard to believe. I have done some researching and see a lot of people saying the transom seal leaks and that is very common. The water does not leak unless the ski is in motion (if itís floating and not running it is fine) do 2019ís still experience this issue? Thank you in advance to any advice given!! I am new too this forum.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

My understanding is that the sealant used by Yamaha has not changed.

As far as I know the transom plate factory sealing is still poor for 2019, 2020 GP1800 (and probably also VXR and similar). Water coming in only when riding matches the typical experience with poor sealant.

While you have it apart you can consider having the 155mm transom plate machined/tapered to match the 160mm jet pump.

Elsewhere I have posted details of my own transom plate re-sealing of 2017 GP1800

Maybe a silly question but wouldn't this be covered under warranty ( if you are still in warranty that is )
    I just purchased a 2020 GP 1800 and notice little water in rear at bottom after a lite lake ride I only have 5 hours on the ski too

Good info I am going to follow up with leak test results. I hear a lot about crack intake grate mounting holes/mating surface and idea if that was fixed on the 19 GP’s as well? I’m new to the GP community. I have owned a FZR but for a short period of time. This one is my baby and I’d like to reduce the amount of moisture that is in the bilge to keep anything from corroding. In that case I use CRC 6-56 for anti corrosion

Correct the SKI is under factory 5 year warranty, but the wait time for service around this time is a bit long and I would like to enjoy my toy while I can. I am also mechanically inclined and have no issue spending some time to diagnose and repair it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SWFLGP1800 View Post
    Maybe a silly question but wouldn't this be covered under warranty ( if you are still in warranty that is )
    I just purchased a 2020 GP 1800 and notice little water in rear at bottom after a lite lake ride I only have 5 hours on the ski too

Good info I am going to follow up with leak test results. I hear a lot about crack intake grate mounting holes/mating surface and idea if that was fixed on the 19 GP’s as well? I’m new to the GP community. I have owned a FZR but for a short period of time. This one is my baby and I’d like to reduce the amount of moisture that is in the bilge to keep anything from corroding. In that case I use CRC 6-56 for anti corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

My understanding is that the sealant used by Yamaha has not changed.

As far as I know the transom plate factory sealing is still poor for 2019, 2020 GP1800 (and probably also VXR and similar). Water coming in only when riding matches the typical experience with poor sealant.

While you have it apart you can consider having the 155mm transom plate machined/tapered to match the 160mm jet pump.

Elsewhere I have posted details of my own transom plate re-sealing of 2017 GP1800

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccartychris View Post
    ... I hear a lot about cracking intake grate mounting holes/mating surface. Any idea if that was fixed on the 2019 GPís as well?
    Well, the intake grate reinforcement was only required for 2017 and 2018 GP1800. *

2019 onwards GP1800R have that area reinforced from the factory.

* 2015-2018 VXR and similar models also have the same problem, and it is similarly recommended to reinforce the intake grate rear bolt insert area.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccartychris View Post
    Good info I am going to follow up with leak test results. I hear a lot about crack intake grate mounting holes/mating surface and idea if that was fixed on the 19 GPís as well? Iím new to the GP community. I have owned a FZR but for a short period of time. This one is my baby and Iíd like to reduce the amount of moisture that is in the bilge to keep anything from corroding. In that case I use CRC 6-56 for anti corrosion
    Did your FZR not leak? I know my '09 has leaked for as long as I can remember, but then again I have an '09 FZS that I purchased years later in '13 (new) that doesn't seem to.

I wouldn't let a small water leak get to you. You'll spend more time and headache trying to solve the issue rather than just getting a small vacuum and learning to live with it. The only time it's a small pain is when you ride in salt water, because you'll then have to rinse out the hull, dousing everything with water. But if you just ride in fresh water, just raise the front end and suck it out the back. Not sure how the GP's are configured, but on my FZR there's also a spot where water pools right infront of that electronic board (can't think of the name) that the ECU is mounted to.

And definitely don't bring it back to the stealership to address. I made that mistake in the very beginning with my FZR and when they glued the transom plate back on, they didn't let it cure before bolting everything back up so the whole pump assembly drooped down slightly so there was a lip sticking out where the pump meets the pump tunnel. My buddy Ryan helped me yank it back off and we redid it with 5200. Of course I still have a water leak but I think it might be coming from the groco strainer that I need to replace with a newer one.

Good info. I will definitely keep an eye on this for I'm picking up a 2020 GP1800R tomorrow.

C Dawg, I too had an 09 that I bought new in 2011 (FZR). I never had a drop of water in the hull. I guess I was lucky. Was this a common issue with 09"s?...Just curious.

+1
    Apparently it was a hit or miss type of thing, just as you are now experiencing with your gp.

I remember reading a post from
    a forum member years ago, that resealed pretty much every single piece on his that was prone to leaking but still ended up with a small amount of water in the hull after each ride.

I took both skis out this past weekend and the guy that rode my Ď09 FZS rode it pretty hard the entire time. I looked in the hull after the ride and surprisingly didnít find any water.

Lucky for me I only have one ski that needs the inside rinsed after saltwater riding. I used to do both thinking they both had leaks but it was just leftover water from the flush port that trickles water inside the hull when flushing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information