SL 750 won't shut down in the water

My 1995 SL 750 was running great yesterday and never skipped a beat. After an hour and a half or two we couldn't get it to shut off. It came down to idle just like it had all day, I would assume around 1400 rpm but the MFD doesn't work. Pressing the stop button and pulling the lanyard both did not stop the engine, and it still accelerated and ran fine with the lanyard off. Had to pull the choke and throttle to kill it. Anybody have any idea what the issue could be? Seems like a wiring thing. Not gonna ride it again until I get it figured out. Thanks

Nobody???

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Stop button and the lanyard share the same wiring at the handlebar switch and down into the electrical box.

Inspect/check the wiring. I suspect there is a frayed/broken wire or connection somewhere along the wiring. Perhaps where the wiring runs down through the steering column or at/near the switches.

When the lanyard is removed OR the Stop button is pressed, the Black/Yellow ‘ignition kill’ wire is supposed to short to the black ‘ground’ wire.

Grounding the Black/Yellow wire signals the CDI module inside the electrical box to stop firing the ignition (no spark to spark plugs).

Took the handlebar cover off and looked at the wires. It had some questionable connections about 2 inches away from the stop switch. Started the engine and touched the bare wires (Yellow/Black and Black) together and it stopped the engine like it should. Replaced them with new good quality heat shrink connectors and reassembled the switch and tried it and it did not stop the engine. The wires from the new connections to the switch look good and aren’t worn, so that narrows it down to the switch itself. Are the little stop switches available? I don’t need the entire block with the trim switch, just the inner stop switch. Or a way to fix it? Thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You can try cleaning up the contacts at the switch, or just get a replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-1994-95-...oAAOSwv-ZZ6VSf

I would have thought 1 could be had a bit cheaper, but $34 shipped isn't too bad.

I ordered a replacement. Found the exact same thing through Martos Motorsports for $20 and free shipping

Thread Information