Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brand New 2019 RTX-230 and already have issues

I used to own a Sea-Doo and had nothing but problems with it. I bought a new Kawasaki STX-15F in 2008 and have over 150 hours on it after 12 seasons without a single issue. I take excellent care of my toys and maintain them myself.

I gave Sea-Doo another chance because I "heard" their reliability has improved, and really liked the appeal of the RXT-230. I just bought a brand new 2019 RTX-230 (leftover 2019 model) and already am having issues. I did some research already but had another new issue so wanted to get feedback from the gurus here on what it might be and if it's worth taking the ski back out of the water to go to the dealer.

The motor has 3 hours on it, started with 0. I've been breaking it in carefully. RPM fluctuation, full acceleration briefly, not holding at top speed or any specific speed longer than a few seconds.

First off, on first start, I saw a low battery flash on the screen for a split second, then I saw an issue with IBR. I scrolled through and found code c2114. Read that the IBR is sensitive to low voltage and other than the code, IBR functions fine. So figured that was minor and other than seeing IBR error flash every time I turn on the jet ski, it runs great otherwise.

Just recently, I was riding and saw "Stop Engine" flash and it looked like the low oil light came up for a brief second, so I shut the engine off right away and checked oil level and it seemed OK. Since I was out in the water, started the ski back up and the check engine light was on and I assume it was in a limp mode (but didn't try to go over 4000 RPM). After a minute of riding at low RPM, the check engine light went back off.

I figured with a brand new ski, an issue like this could be sensor related. Any suggestions on what it might be or what I can do to resolve? I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer, but will if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by mav7 View Post
    I used to own a Sea-Doo and had nothing but problems with it. I bought a new Kawasaki STX-15F in 2008 and have over 150 hours on it after 12 seasons without a single issue. I take excellent care of my toys and maintain them myself.

I gave Sea-Doo another chance because I "heard" their reliability has improved, and really liked the appeal of the RXT-230. I just bought a brand new 2019 RTX-230 (leftover 2019 model) and already am having issues. I did some research already but had another new issue so wanted to get feedback from the gurus here on what it might be and if it's worth taking the ski back out of the water to go to the dealer.

The motor has 3 hours on it, started with 0. I've been breaking it in carefully. RPM fluctuation, full acceleration briefly, not holding at top speed or any specific speed longer than a few seconds.

First off, on first start, I saw a low battery flash on the screen for a split second, then I saw an issue with IBR. I scrolled through and found code c2114. Read that the IBR is sensitive to low voltage and other than the code, IBR functions fine. So figured that was minor and other than seeing IBR error flash every time I turn on the jet ski, it runs great otherwise.

Just recently, I was riding and saw "Stop Engine" flash and it looked like the low oil light came up for a brief second, so I shut the engine off right away and checked oil level and it seemed OK. Since I was out in the water, started the ski back up and the check engine light was on and I assume it was in a limp mode (but didn't try to go over 4000 RPM). After a minute of riding at low RPM, the check engine light went back off.

I figured with a brand new ski, an issue like this could be sensor related. Any suggestions on what it might be or what I can do to resolve? I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer, but will if I have to.
    Can confirm that IBR will trip with low voltage. Check the yellow wires coming from the stator and check your grounds as well. Sounds like an electrical issue for sure. I had a bad battery and had the IBR issue myself. No other issues though on my RXT 300 aside the intake grate recall.

+1

Take it back to the dealer for a BUDs check. More than likely, the battery is bad or it needs a full charge. Try using a battery tender (trickle charger) for an over night charge.

Ok I know this will be hard to believe... but I just got stranded in the middle of the lake. Jet ski completely shut off. Instrument cluster wouldn't turn on - figured battery was dead. Got back to the cottage and charged battery to start jet ski again. Realized when looking at the battery, that both the positive and negative terminals were completely loose. After trying to tighten, I realized both bolts were too long and the terminals wouldn't tighten down anymore. This came right from the dealer! After getting right size bolts - took it out to let the battery charge. Tried accelerating to 25-30mph and the engine went right into limp mode and started running rough. Check engine light went on and I was close enough to get it back to the cottage at idle. Engine runs but very rough - definitely think the engine is gone. It clearly sounds like it's knocking and idling rough. I think it's because the dealer didn't properly install the battery correctly and the terminals were loose the entire time riding it without me knowing. The ski only said low battery initially but never once after that.. I don't really understand it. But not a fun way to end a Holiday weekend.

+1
    A loose battery connection or lack of terminal spacers WONT DESTROY A ENGINE
    Sucks that happened on a maiden voyage, should just be low battery causing your issues. Charge it overnight and take her for a ride should be good again.

I would agree that loose battery shouldn't destroy an engine - but how could a low battery cause an engine to run this rough and still go into limp mode after the battery has been charged?

I am pretty sure the engine is gone. I've never had a motor go on me before but this one doesn't sound good.

+1
    I would agree that loose battery shouldn't destroy an engine - but how could a low battery cause an engine to run this rough and still go into limp mode after the battery has been charged?

I am pretty sure the engine is gone. I've never had a motor go on me before but this one doesn't sound good.
    Not enough power or no power at the plugs makes for a very poor running engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Not enough power or no power at the plugs makes for a very poor running engine.
    Watch this video.. doesn't sound like plugs not getting enough power. Engine barely had 3 hours on it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like the dealer should hope you had a good nights rest before the morning rolls around. Part of the PDI ( pre delivery inspection) is the battery setup. I suspect the ORIGINAL battery bolts were dropped into the hull by some numb nuts ( haven't seen a 2019 yet, but I assume the battery is still in that difficult spot that's hard to get to under the hood) and they just went to the parts shelf and grabbed "some bolts"

I'd suspect the plugs are fouled. Don't screw with it and give your dealer any excuse. I'd make a dramatic hollywood theatric scene out of it and plop the extra long battery bolts on the sales manager counter when you bring your ski in and say "WTF", Id didn't spend $$$ for this kind of setup service, luckily I didn't have to get towed, but you totally screwed my weekend.

do let us know how they responded

Did you see the video I posted? No way is that fouled plugs.

i did see a bolt wedged between the fuel tank and the hull...

Here’s a picture of what some idiot did..

I honestly shouldn’t have to check every bolt and nut of a brand new jet ski... I suspect constant interruption of electrical system caused the damage. With everything being electronic these days, power is critical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22053026-B9DD-48D0-9DB2-969D33DD63FF.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	462192  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information