Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How Yamaha RiDE works

Reverse bucket moves part way down, under control of the RiDE motor drive module. The RiDE motor is able to move the reverse bucket from full up to full down, or partial down for neutral, quite quickly.

When the engine is off on a Yamaha RiDE machine the reverse bucket is in the full up (no reverse) position. *

When the engine is started the bucket immediately moves to neutral position. It stays there until either the right hand forward throttle level is squeezed, or the left hand reverse level is squeezed.

Forward throttle raises the bucket immediately and it will stay up until the left lever is used.

The left handlebar lever controls neutral and reverse modes. When in neutral a partial squeeze of the left lever moves the bucket down to reverse position. Now the ski will idle backwards slowly. Further squeeze of the left lever increases engine power and reverse travel speed. RPM is limited in reverse mode so the fastest you can reverse is about a fast walking speed.

Release the left lever and you again get engine idle and neutral mode.

All this happens in a responsive manner. It is easy around a dock or near other watercraft floating nearby to precisely move forward, back, and rotate.

The steering is always available and responds consistently. If you are turning right while in neutral (and you can rotate in place easily) and you touch forward throttle you will go forward and continue turning right. If you squeeze the reverse lever a little it will slow down and then begin to move in reverse but the steering direction remains the same.

The bow always turns in the direction the handlebars are turned, regardless of forward, neutral or reverse. Turn right, bow goes right. Turn left, bow goes left. Beginners quickly understand how to control the steering and not run into things. #

* This is the opposite of what a Seadoo iBR system does. iBR parks the reverse bucket in the full down position when the engine is shut off.
    Unlike RiDE, if the iBR system fails the bucket can be stuck in the full down position, so the watercraft is unusable until repaired.

With Yamaha RiDE, not only does the Reverse bucket park itself in the ‘forward’ position when engine is shut off, the linkage rod can easily be disconnected by hand. If somehow the RiDE bucket ended up stuck in the down position, the rod end can be unhooked and the bucket raised to the forward position by hand. It is spring loaded and will remain raised, so the Yamaha watercraft can be ridden normally.

This can even be done while the watercraft is floating (engine off). Just swim around to the back, grab the Reverse rod end, release the ball catch, and raise the bucket. Takes a few seconds once you know how it works.

# This is the opposite of what many people are familiar with on Seadoo and other watercraft. Those riders got used to the steering effect changing when reverse was engaged. Many hoods have been dinged by docks as the steering changed effect every time the rider switched from forward to reverse, to forward, to reverse.

while we are talking ride system, how much slow movement can you make forward and back?
    With my old system, around my lift for very slow and precise movement, I put the bucket in neutral. I then use the jet elevation (twist on left hand, jet down gives us fordward, jet up gives us reverse) to give me more or less forward or back movement. I can goose the throttle some to give a bit more, but my son and i can crab the ski and get into very tight spots and dock to our lift with precision. Movement is a fraction that of idle moving forward with the bucket all the way up. We are looking to upgrade to a new wave runner but wondering how much forward and reverse "slow" movement we can do with RIDE.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
    while we are talking ride system, how much slow movement can you make forward and back?
    ... around my lift for very slow and precise movement ... give me more or less forward or back movement.

... my son and i can crab the ski and get into very tight spots and dock to our lift with precision. ... how much forward and reverse "slow" movement we can do with RIDE.
    We often use RiDE to creep and control movement when loading skis onto the double trailer. Depending on winds, current, waves and boat wash from other boats, plus rough edged docks right next to the trailer, it can be critical to get the ski onto the trailer correctly the first time, and do so without a lot of messing about.

It is easy to quickly tap between forward and reverse levers to gently pulse forward and into neutral again, then pulse forward and neutral, pulse reverse then neutral. All using engine idle. If slightly more power needed just squeeze the forward or reverse lever slightly more. With just a little practice you can make it dance and put it exactly where you want it to be. And all of it done with both hands on the handlebar. And full steering control throughout the maneuvering.

A friend who rode our RiDE equipped GP1800 for the first time was putting it onto his ski lift (after learning how quickly it can go, and grinning a lot). Lined it up and walked it onto the slightly submerged Lift bunks. He normally uses a PWC with mechanical reverse lever. As he was RiDEing it on he said ‘this is like cheating. Way too easy.” Perfectly parked it, first time using RiDE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information