+1

Polaris Octane oil

I just picked up a nice 2002 Octane. Carbs were rebuilt but I need to do the fuel lines today. I was going to run it this weekend but I donít have the oil the previous owner was using in it. Previous owner ran Klotz - Benol. Would it be a problem running a different oil or would it be best to wait. There is only about 1/4 tank of gas in it right now. Do I remove all the old gas or just wait. Itís coming Tuesday so no big deal to wait. Here is a picture of it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4291.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	462082

+1
    Nice score! (and darn you, I want one )

As long as you put in the same TYPE of oil (regular vs. synthetic), its probably fine to mix it. But if it were me I'd use more of what's there before putting some Legend ZX-2R oil in it (my preferred oil).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Nice score! (and darn you, I want one )

As long as you put in the same TYPE of oil (regular vs. synthetic), its probably fine to mix it. But if it were me I'd use more of what's there before putting some Legend ZX-2R oil in it (my preferred oil).
    Thanks. Yeah Iíve always wanted one and when I saw it I took a 800 mile drive. Ha ha and yeah my wife thinks Iím crazy. I assume that you did your research on that oil. Iíve heard a few good things about that oil before. Maybe on here? Iíll wait for the oil that has been used in this machine most of its life. Just keep it the same. I change the fuel lines & filter tonight and cleaned out the fuel tank. There are o-rings on the fuel pick up tubes and one seems loose, I replaced it with a similar sized one that seemed better. It was on the return line so not overly concerned about it. Anyone know the correct size? Canít wait to run it!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage18 View Post
    Ha ha and yeah my wife thinks I’m crazy.
    Can’t wait to run it!
    I'm guessing she is not alone..LOL That's quite the fleet you have there.
    I'm sure all her concerns become smiles at the water.

In my opinion, oil that meets a standard will mix with other available oils.
    Really comes down to how much YOU care.

AWA Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post

I would agree...as long as the oils meet the requirements suggested by the manufacture and are TCW3 and JASO certified, the oils will mix fine. I have yet to see any documented study that shows this or that brand of oil degrading another brands oil if mixed together. If there is, please share. However, regular oils (and some races oils) you don't want to mix with full synthetic if at all possible.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post

Thanks for your input. My thought was to just keep running the same oil he had in it. I emptied the tank anyways and cleaned it out. Along with new fuel lines and filter so itís ready for a fresh tank of ethanol free 40:1. When it comes in Tuesday.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    I would agree...as long as the oils meet the requirements suggested by the manufacture and are TCW3 and JASO certified, the oils will mix fine. I have yet to see any documented study that shows this or that brand of oil degrading another brands oil if mixed together. If there is, please share. However, regular oils (and some races oils) you don't want to mix with full synthetic if at all possible.
    I seem to remember a truck engine oil thickening up when using two different types of oil but not sure what it was.

Iíve never used the Klotz - benol, I assume itís a decent oil? Either way I just cleaned all the fuel out of the existing tank and replaced all the fuel lines and filter with new ones.

Thread Information