Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Battery Acid Destroyed Brand New GP1800R SVHO

Hey uys im pretty disappointed. Brand new 2020 GP1800R SVHO bone stock with 2.5 hours had battery acid all over the ski which boiled the paint right off the hull. I have no clue what would cause that. It was not on a charger or a tender. I have emailed the dealer to see what the next step is. I want the ski replaced. This is not an eazy fix. Anyone else have similar issues?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	652C540C-5BF8-48F4-9565-D9BEA7328129.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	462054  

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00C9EFAB-41F4-4786-9040-252EC25919D8.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	462055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FBC29BC-C92C-4F90-9CFB-F640AAA7DFB2.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	462056  

+1
    That is awful! I'm really sorry to hear that that happened to you. How did all of that acid get to the outside of the hull?

Maybe all of us with new skis should get the dealer installed, lead acid batteries out of our skis right now. All of my older skis have an AGM battery in them.

4. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    ... an AGM battery ...
    My GP1800 has Deka AGM battery installed from day one. AGM is a more reliable battery, and no external battery vent.

GP1800/VXR has the battery vent tube fitting behind the seat, just inside the grab bar. If a traditional lead-acid battery is installed (which is the factory battery) then it is connected to the vent.

If the battery charger over charges the battery the acid can bubble up the vent tube and out onto the hull finish.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    My GP1800 has Deka AGM battery installed from day one. AGM is a more reliable battery, and no external battery vent.

GP1800/VXR has the battery vent tube fitting behind the seat, just inside the grab bar. If a traditional lead-acid battery is installed (which is the factory battery) then it is connected to the vent.

If the battery charger over charges the battery the acid can bubble up the vent tube and out onto the hull finish.
    Oh! Now that explains how the battery acid got to the outside of the hull. I've charged my GP1800R's lead acid battery but I had removed the battery from the ski. I was worried about acid dripping from the battery during removal and installation. I have no idea why I didn't replace the battery when I had it out. That lead acid battery will be removed this weekend!

+1
    definitely get rid of the factory lead/ acid battery. An AGM battery is only around $100 and worth it just to avoid the hassle of having to check the electrolyte levels. My guess is that your over charging problem that boiled out the electrolyte is a legitimate Yamaha warranty claim. Either the battery or charging system is defective. If the charging system malfunctioned, the replacement battery will overcharge too.

IMO, using a lead/acid battery in Jetski is a poor design choice and is simply a manufacturing cost decision.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    ... An AGM battery ...

... My guess is that your over charging problem that boiled out the electrolyte is a legitimate Yamaha warranty claim. Either the battery or charging system is defective. If the charging system malfunctioned, the replacement battery will overcharge too.

A Deka AGM battery is an excellent battery. But it will not withstand abusive excess charging, either by the running engine or an external AC battery charger. #

All watercraft batteries require the use of an electronically regulated ‘smart‘ charger. The charger must recognize when the battery is approaching fully charged and reduce the charge rate appropriately.

AGM batteries require a charger that is AGM compatible. Not all smart chargers are rated for use with AGM batteries. I use the BatteryMinder product, but the genuine Deltran BatteryTender chargers can also be used.

Just confirm that AGM is specifically listed for the charger you buy.*

* There is a another oddball thing that a certain sub-type of AGM is different from the mainstream AGM. The Odyssey/PLT AGM battery requires a separate mode in the charger.

# Once a battery has been overcharged, it is internally weakened and should not be used in a watercraft.
    This applies to sealed AGM batteries and to traditional lead-acid batteries with an external vent.

+1
    problem is that the dealer over filled the battery when they serviced the battery for pre delivery, Yamaha has used the same pwc battery new oem since late 1980's waverunner 500 first ski. Dealer problem not a Yamaha defect!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    problem is that the dealer over filled the battery when they serviced the battery for pre delivery,

Yamaha has used the same pwc battery new oem since late 1980's waverunner 500 first ski.

Dealer problem not a Yamaha defect!
    Well, in my view Yamaha still supplying old-school lead-acid liquid filled batteries precipitated the dealer error.

Yamaha knows some percentage of pre-delivery battery fill and charge activity will be incorrectly done at the dealer. They know how to avoid that (don’t use that kind of battery). They choose to provide lead-acid anyways.

If the battery was factory sealed (such as the Deka ETX series AGM) and did not have a vent (Deka does not) then the dealer could not over fill the battery. Better battery, less ways to screw it up.

Better for the dealer (no acid handling) and better for the customer. Battery cannot leak, works well, reliable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Well, in my view Yamaha still supplying old-school lead-acid liquid filled batteries precipitated the dealer error.

Yamaha knows some percentage of pre-delivery battery fill and charge activity will be incorrectly done at the dealer. They know how to avoid that (don’t use that kind of battery). They choose to provide lead-acid anyways.

If the battery was factory sealed (such as the Deka ETX series AGM) and did not have a vent (Deka does not) then the dealer could not over fill the battery. Better battery, less ways to screw it up.

Better for the dealer (no acid handling) and better for the customer. Battery cannot leak, works well, reliable.
    I agree but that is what comes with the ski. I was a Yamaha/ Harley-Davidson/ Polaris dealer for 30 years before I sold out and retired and then was the Crew Chief for Fountian Powerboats offshore racing !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information