Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sucks that this happened on such a new machine however it's easy enough to fix so unfortunately thinking they might replace it for you is wishful thinking. I agree it was likely over filled by your dealer. Doesn't look so much like it overflowed more like it just sprinkled some droplets out the vent while outgassing.....still sucks but a good body shop won't have any trouble making it like new again. If you don't get anywhere with your dealer or Yamaha just make a claim on your insurance. They'd consider it not a fault so it shouldn't impact your rates. They'll determine who they feel is negligent (if anybody) and could potentially subrogate them for reimbursement to your policy which would include your deductible. The amount of effort they put into that depends on who you're insured with and how much they pay out (won't be much)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    The correct deka battery is ETX16L for your ski. the difference is the plus and neg. post are reversed on a ETX16 and a ETX16L You can use the ETX16 as most yamaha have long enough cables to reach the reversed post ETX16 battery, But your first choice should be the ETX16L. Tech tip---------- these batteries do not mark the pos and neg post real good. When I have the new battery I get some of my wife's red finger nail polish and mark the positive post with the red polish. This makes sure when I install the new battery I install the red cable to the post with the red polish on it. Sometimes it is hard to see down in the ski which post is the positive post. It easy to get the hook up wrong since these battery cables are plenty long and battery post markings are not the best. Tommy Jordan
    Thank you for the information. Same to Erierunner as well. I'll be looking for the L version ASAP.

I'm a little confused and want to make sure I understand so I can check both of mine. Even if the dealer overfilled the battery and the cells started to boil a bit wouldn't it drain out of the tube to the rear of the ski? To do that kind of damage I would think this battery would have to be cracked from the start if it was only 2.5 hours on it? What am I missing on this?

+1
    That's quite a shitty spot to put a battery vent at. It should be placed where any discharge gets dumped into the water and not onto the deck, and riders, of the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    That's quite a shitty spot to put a battery vent at. It should be placed where any discharge gets dumped into the water and not onto the deck, and riders, of the ski.
    The discharge tube is not really in a good place for any model. When I realized where the battery vented on my 2015 FXHO it was the last straw for me. I was already put out with having to pull the battery just to check the electrolyte level. Even when you pull the battery it is still hard to see the level the cells. So I pulled and discarded the discharge tube, flushed the area with a lot of water and bought an AGM from Interstate Battery. Interstate makes a direct replacement for the Yuasu that Yamaha uses as original equipment and there is an Interstate Battery outlet nearby. They recycled my old battery and deducted a core charge from the price of the new battery. So if you don't have a Deka dealer nearby, Interstate makes a good battery for jet skis too.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    The correct deka battery is ETX16L for your ski. the difference is the plus and neg. post are reversed on a ETX16 and a ETX16L ...
    ETX16L example on the left (negative post on the Left),
    ETX16 on the right (negative post on the right).

WOW that is in a poopy spot. Mine is right under the rear seat and i can not see anything but fumes getting that high. This post has me a little nervous. Might just look into getting an AMG and trade these junkers in.

+1
    my 2012 VXR used to piss acid on the paint all the time till I got an AGM battery. The acid never hurt the paint as I always wipe my ski down at the ramp before leaving the lake. on a side note, my 2017 GP1800 seems to have very soft paint , I have blue paint marks on the bunks and rollers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information