Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    ... that is what comes with the ski. ...
    When I purchased my GP1800 I told the dealer to not even install the factory lead-acid battery. Just give me a credit instead.

Installed my own new Deka ETX16 battery on day one.

+1
    I installed my new acid filled battery from my ski into my lawn tractor and bought a AGM battery for my ski.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When I purchased my GP1800 I told the dealer to not even install the factory lead-acid battery. Just give me a credit instead.

That was a nice jester by the dealer.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... jester ...
    gesture

6. +1 by:

+1
    problem is that the dealer over filled the battery when they serviced the battery for pre delivery. Dealer problem not a Yamaha defect!
    that's a possible scenario but can it be proven? I would put heat on the dealer and on Yamaha to make this right. You could expect Yamaha to take the position that the dealer botched the battery install.

A fall back position is to file an insurance claim. State Farm paid for a pump and engine on a friend's Seadoo when it sucked gravel into the pump and ruined everything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    that's a possible scenario but can it be proven? I would put heat on the dealer and on Yamaha to make this right. You could expect Yamaha to take the position that the dealer botched the battery install.

A fall back position is to file an insurance claim. State Farm paid for a pump and engine on a friend's Seadoo when it sucked gravel into the pump and ruined everything.
    Take the battery out and look at the battery case there are two fluid level lines on the battery min. and max. I bet the fluid level is still well above the max. line even though you have lost acid out the over flow lines. My experience is even with the battery just a little over the max line you will not get this over flow problem. I bet the tech filled this battery to the top. I have filled hundreds of these batteries over my 30+ years as a motorcycle/ atv/pwc dealer and they are hard to see the acid fluid level line when filling them new. This is a dealer prep problem for sure. Tommy Jordan

+1
    I have used the normal Yuasa original dealer installed battery for 3 years on my first ski. Fluid was between the two fill lines. It was fine until it finally went bad and never had your problem. As mentioned, the battery had to be filled way to full and it pushed out through the vent hose. Dealers get them dry, add acid, then charge before installing. Use AGM now. I think you'll have a big fight with the dealer and Yamaha will say not our problem. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Is the Deka ETX16 a direct fit replacement? Posts work good? Just making sure the fit is perfect before I order one myself. Thank you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by calicoss View Post
    Is the Deka ETX16 a direct fit replacement? Posts work good? Just making sure the fit is perfect before I order one myself. Thank you.
    The correct deka battery is ETX16L for your ski. the difference is the plus and neg. post are reversed on a ETX16 and a ETX16L You can use the ETX16 as most yamaha have long enough cables to reach the reversed post ETX16 battery, But your first choice should be the ETX16L. Tech tip---------- these batteries do not mark the pos and neg post real good. When I have the new battery I get some of my wife's red finger nail polish and mark the positive post with the red polish. This makes sure when I install the new battery I install the red cable to the post with the red polish on it. Sometimes it is hard to see down in the ski which post is the positive post. It easy to get the hook up wrong since these battery cables are plenty long and battery post markings are not the best. Tommy Jordan

+1
    As mentioned, you want the Deka ETX16L to match post position. I use then now and on my 4th year with 2 batteries. Load tests good. The battery is just a little shorter and you need to use the supplied plastic spacer on the bottom so the rubber straps will be tight. The best is even slightly shorter, it has more cca than the standard Yuasa. I also mark the pos and neg with a silver sharpie on the black plastic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information