Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft plug

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I donít see what the difference is unless somehow the technician working on the ski has no idea what heís talking about and he communicated the wrong thing to the service manager/writer

Itís fairly rare in my experience for a service manager to not have come up through the ranks having started as a shop sweep/gopher

The safest way to avoid what most of us would assume the problem was was to have them replace the driveshaft boot and clamps

make sure they save the old parts for you because there is actually a measurement spec for the driveshaft boot before replacement

In some cases and Iím not sure of the actual model of your ski here the c-clip pops off the shaft and that allows sinkage through the carbon seal

In other cases the worm clamps holding the boot in place fail, again allowing water to enter the hall

For a little peace of mind if you can manage it just back your trailer into the water start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes checking to make sure thereís no dribbling of water into the hall

the big problem will appear under power but thereís often a telltale drip or two at idle
    They said the are replacing the end cap and the bellows

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Driveshaft plug

Ahhh the impeller spun off

That certainly a good reason for the titanic moment

When running on the hose the seal doesnít get any cooling water and it gets hot in a hurry so itís a great idea to either limit run time or arrange for a water bath for the seal

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_tel4 View Post
    No to both. Impeller popped off, ski flooded, took out of water and drained water. Re tightened impeller. Then took to dealer first time. They replaced carbon seal sparkies and oil. Got it back. And it was taking on blackish water. Not nearly as fast as the first time. Took it back again and they lake tested it and now they said what I said in the first post. Note: they said the thrust bearings and block are un damaged.
    Was the impeller ever replaced or repitched, and if so, was it done by the dealer?

If the dealer replaced the carbon seal, the driveshaft had to be removed, along with the hat, bellows, and jet pump. When it is removed, sometimes the rubber bumper is ripped off the shaft and/or it gets stuck inside the PTO coupler. Whether it came off or not, the dealer should have replaced it with a new bumper....says so in the shop manual! Same goes for the "C" clip! Both are one time use! You should also check the C clip groove on the driveshaft for rounded edges of the groove. If rounded, replace the driveshaft.

The unscrewing of the impeller usually results in thrust bearing damage. Ask the dealer how they checked for damage of the thrust bearing. Now, if they removed the impeller for any reason prior to all this trouble..........

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Was the impeller ever replaced or repitched, and if so, was it done by the dealer?

If the dealer replaced the carbon seal, the driveshaft had to be removed, along with the hat, bellows, and jet pump. When it is removed, sometimes the rubber bumper is ripped off the shaft and/or it gets stuck inside the PTO coupler. Whether it came off or not, the dealer should have replaced it with a new bumper....says so in the shop manual! Same goes for the "C" clip! Both are one time use! You should also check the C clip groove on the driveshaft for rounded edges of the groove. If rounded, replace the driveshaft.

The unscrewing of the impeller usually results in thrust bearing damage. Ask the dealer how they checked for damage of the thrust bearing. Now, if they removed the impeller for any reason prior to all this trouble..........
    What would a damaged thrust bearing do?

+1
    What would a damaged thrust bearing do?

The thrust bearing prevents too much forward/rearward movement of the crankshaft as measured in the thousandths of an inch. Beyond the limits, the connecting rods can have too much angle at the crank and at the piston wrist pins. Eventually, one or the other fail!

The thrust bearing prevents too much forward/rearward movement of the crankshaft as measured in the thousandths of an inch. Beyond the limits, the connecting rods can have too much angle at the crank and at the piston wrist pins. Eventually, one or the other fail!
    The last thing I want is for me to get my ski back and my engine blows up...would it seem to run fine if the thrust bearing was damaged because it rode fine there was just water intrusion.

+1
    The last thing I want is for me to get my ski back and my engine blows up...would it seem to run fine if the thrust bearing was damaged because it rode fine there was just water intrusion.
    The engine will seem to run normal.....for awhile, but with more noise. An indication of thrust bearing damage could be metal particles embedded in the oil filter however, the oil screen in the PTO cover catches a lot of thrash and can prevent most of the metal from getting to the oil filter and at the same time reducing oil flow. IMO, the engine needs to removed and the cases split to physically inspect the thrust bearing clearance via a dial indicator.

So, I ask again, how did the dealer determine if the thrust bearing is undamaged, and did they do anything in regards to the impeller before this situation arose?

The engine will seem to run normal.....for awhile, but with more noise. An indication of thrust bearing damage could be metal particles embedded in the oil filter however, the oil screen in the PTO cover catches a lot of thrash and can prevent most of the metal from getting to the oil filter and at the same time reducing oil flow. IMO, the engine needs to removed and the cases split to physically inspect the thrust bearing clearance via a dial indicator.

So, I ask again, how did the dealer determine if the thrust bearing is undamaged, and did they do anything in regards to the impeller before this situation arose?
    I messaged them what happened. Told them to check the block/ thrust bearing. He messaged me back this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	462140

Also, a wear ring replacement was done last summer. Thatís the last time the impeller was out.

+1
    I messaged them what happened. Told them to check the block/ thrust bearing. He messaged me back this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	462140

Also, a wear ring replacement was done last summer. That’s the last time the impeller was out.
    Why does the service manager believe the thrust bearing and block are undamaged? How was this checked? Did his techs remove the impeller and change the wear ring or did you do this work?

Why does the service manager believe the thrust bearing and block are undamaged? How was this checked? Did his techs remove the impeller and change the wear ring or did you do this work?
    We did it ourselves. Was torqued to 92 foot pounds then added red loctite. He never said why he believed it was undamaged.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information