Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2000 virage tx carburated rev and speed issues

All 3 cylinders had 140 compression.

On the water, I cannot get it past 4000 RPM. Top speed at best 5 MPH.

What I know from this forum's other posts:

Having read about overheat protection, nothing comes up on the MFI. No red flashing. It just doesn't go past 4000... it actually stays below. No strange engine sounds either... just cruising at a speed of about 5MPH. Did a few circles like that hoping something would give... nope. Just seemed happy at that speed. Checked forward was fully engaged. I can go in reverse as well as neutral. Tried playing with this a few times. Turned it off, restarted... same behaviour.

Looked at the wiring from Ebox to plugs. Looks correct with Top cable going to Cylinder 2, Middle cable (shortest cable) going to Cylinder 1 and Bottom cable going to Cylinder 3(Longest cable).

Possible solution... and this is what I'm trying to figure out now: One cylinder is not firing. I turned on the machine this moring and Cylinder 3 stayed cold to the touch. I took out the spark plugs and moved them around... (Unfortunately, I didn't pay too much attention to where I moved them.) Cylinder 2 stayed cold. This time, I moved the spark plug again from Cylinder 2 to Cylinder 1. Waited for things to cool down. Fired it up again. Cylinder 1 stayed cold. Spark plug is the issue.

Does this seem right?

Going to get a new set of plugs. I will try it in the water again. Wish me luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Use the correct NGK spark plugs

Ngkbpr9es

Success! With 3 new spark plugs, I took it out on the lake. At first, I thought there was no change, but it is slow to pick up speed from a stop. It stands up and then slowly builds up speed. Max rev is about 5000 RPM. I can't speak about speed because the speedo doesn't work (even though I thought it was showing 5 MPH yesterday.

Just read up on the speedo. I located the clear hose coming from behind the speedo. Also located the loose clear hose at the other end (engine compartment) it was not connected to anything. I found the little nipple under the driveshaft and connected it. Blew some air through it. Seemed to flow. Will try next time.

I'm soo happy that this is now working well.

I don't know what RPM max it should be at. I have a feeling that it should be a bit faster than it is right now.

Question: Throttle cable could be a little tighter. Can I tighten it without touching the oil cable? Perhaps it would improve max speed? I don't want to mess up the ratio and end up messing up the engine.

Love this forum! I would have given up a long time ago without it! Thank you all for helping me with this.
    Last edited by veryfastracer; 05-20-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by veryfastracer View Post
    ... I took it out on the lake. At first, I thought there was no change, but it is slow to pick up speed from a stop. It stands up and then slowly builds up speed.

Max rev is about 5000 RPM...

Question: Throttle cable could be a little tighter. Can I tighten it without touching the oil cable?
    Perhaps it would improve max speed?

I don't want to mess up the ratio and end up messing up the engine.
    Take the flame arrestor off. Then adjust the throttle cable slack until there is just a TINY bit of slack when you are not squeezing the lever. The lever should be able to wiggle a bit without the cable moving.

There is an adjusting nut on the throttle cable near the throttle body cable mount. And also a jam nut to keep the adjuster from changing on its own with engine vibration. Set the throttle cable length, then lock it there with the second nut.

Also confirm that at full throttle lever squeeze the throttle plates are fully opening to vertical inside the carbs.
    Make sure the choke plates are also able to open fully.

Recheck the oil cable adjustment after setting throttle cable. Use a mirror to view the index hash mark alignment on the oil pump arm and the body, near the pivot.

These big 2-stroke engines should rev up to well above 6000 RPM and get there in a hurry. Not quite chainsaw fast instant revving, but not far off.

If the engine is not snappy to rev, something is not right.

I am far from being an expert or knowing much, but, in one of your earlier threads you mentioned that the fuel lines looked new, but, the center one was still the old grey line. That line, if im correct, is the pulse pump line. My 2002 had basically the same problem with not throttling up(before i even put it in the water). I did take the carbs apart and clean them about 8 times before i realized i had replaced all the fuel line except the pulse pump line. Once i replaced that line and cleaned the carb again, i put it on the river yesterday and the response was super snappy while it may not be your problem, i would try replacing the pulse line, clean the carbs again, and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Take the flame arrestor off. Then adjust the throttle cable slack until there is just a TINY bit of slack when you are not squeezing the lever. The lever should be able to wiggle a bit without the cable moving.

There is an adjusting nut on the throttle cable near the throttle body cable mount. And also a jam nut to keep the adjuster from changing on its own with engine vibration. Set the throttle cable length, then lock it there with the second nut.

Also confirm that at full throttle lever squeeze the throttle plates are fully opening to vertical inside the carbs.
    Make sure the choke plates are also able to open fully.

Recheck the oil cable adjustment after setting throttle cable. Use a mirror to view the index hash mark alignment on the oil pump arm and the body, near the pivot.

These big 2-stroke engines should rev up to well above 6000 RPM and get there in a hurry. Not quite chainsaw fast instant revving, but not far off.

If the engine is not snappy to rev, something is not right.
    Awesome! You've given me new things to try. I will definitely do this and post results.

Quote Originally Posted by Viragebaby View Post
    I am far from being an expert or knowing much, but, in one of your earlier threads you mentioned that the fuel lines looked new, but, the center one was still the old grey line. That line, if im correct, is the pulse pump line. My 2002 had basically the same problem with not throttling up(before i even put it in the water). I did take the carbs apart and clean them about 8 times before i realized i had replaced all the fuel line except the pulse pump line. Once i replaced that line and cleaned the carb again, i put it on the river yesterday and the response was super snappy while it may not be your problem, i would try replacing the pulse line, clean the carbs again, and see what happens
    Thank you for your suggestion. You are correct about me saying that there is an old grey hose left. I was mistaken. There are 2 of them left. They are on my list, but they are a pain in the butt to get to. Is there a trick to it? Just thought that since they had not been replaced by last owner, they could probably be left alone. But then again, it could be just that. So far, everything I've done that has been suggested here has renewed and improved my ski. At some point, I get the feeling that I will have a kick ass machine.

+1
    Sounds like a carb issue...did you rebuild them i cant remember? ....did you clean the high speed jets and filters?... What about mixture screw settings have you confirmed they are set to oem settings?.....are all the jugs the same temp? what color are the plugs?

Also, the last time i cleaned the carb(i only have a single but it is the same carb as the first in a set of triples) i checked the pulse pump itself while off(blew through the gas inlet and found no air went through), and i had small icky particles under the 2 little flutter things(no idea what they are called...lol). Here are pics of 1 of them. The other you can see in the first pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200521_083647.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	461987

Name:	20200521_083731.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	461988

Name:	20200521_083753.jpg