Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by veryfastracer View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion. You are correct about me saying that there is an old grey hose left. I was mistaken. There are 2 of them left. They are on my list, but they are a pain in the butt to get to. Is there a trick to it? Just thought that since they had not been replaced by last owner, they could probably be left alone. But then again, it could be just that. So far, everything I've done that has been suggested here has renewed and improved my ski. At some point, I get the feeling that I will have a kick ass machine.
    Changed these today. Likely not the issue as they look to be in good condition. However, I am happy to have changed them and eliminated this problem.

After replacing the 2 left over Tempo hoses that go to the bottom of the engine, I tackled the cables. Throttle cable is now a little tighter. I can confirm that the lower throttle plates open up fully vertically. I could not confirm the same for the choke. I fiddled with those for what seemed to be an eternity. Finally I found that the cable at the choke lever seems to be broken. It doesn't go straight into the metal piece at the end of the cable. I cut a bit of the plastic off and (after lubing a little with WD-40) I crimped the metal housing over the cable. I can now open the choke plates fully and close them almost fully. But the lever sticks out a bit more than before. I will likely need a new cable as I also noticed that the wire was frayed. Finally, I did check with a mirror to see if that the oil hash mark aligned with the other line.

Is it possible that the choke plates not fully open affected the power issue?

Another question: After all this work, I started the ski again and noticed that the front cylinder did not get hot. I got super worried. I gave it time to get cold again. I primed the carbs again and tried again, this time, all cylinders warmed up. Is this because I had the gas off? Hoping that this is it and that when the machine runs again for a while on water, things will go back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    Sounds like a carb issue...did you rebuild them i cant remember? ....did you clean the high speed jets and filters?... What about mixture screw settings have you confirmed they are set to oem settings?.....are all the jugs the same temp? what color are the plugs?
    Hey savageman69, I haven't forgotten about you! Thanks for chiming in. Yes. I had taken them out and cleaned them. I had asked you about the diaphragms and you said to leave them be. Carbs were pretty clean overall. About the mixture screws... those I haven't touched. I don't know what to do with them and what oem settings they should be at. I guess that will be the next thing I look at.

About the jug temp... I don't think that the temperatures are the same. There is always one that is slightly colder than the rest, but they all warm up... I do think that this is a fuel delivery issue. I've done quite a bit today with gas hoses, throttle adjustment and choke cable adjustment... let's see where this leads tomorrow. If need be, I will look at your suggestions. I will look at the plugs tomorrow and snap some pics to show you what they look like. Might need you to come and have a look if you are seriously up for it. Would love to have the thing running optimally soon.

Here are the pics of my plugs. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200522_104300.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	462040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200522_104413.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	462041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200522_104634.jpg 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	462042

+1
    Those carbs were dirty under those filter housings....i wonder if the corrosion on those metal pieces in the carbs cause any issues or not

I believe that first plug is lean, electrode shouldnt be so white.....i think you have a fuel issue to that jug, the other 2 look okay. Maybe you have bad mixture screw settings or a plugged jet....I just bought a hd snake cam with a light off amazon to check piston wash...either that or pull the head. Pain with a 1 piece like mine.

I wouldnt run it to much with the plug looking that lean in my opinion.

+1
    The first plug I believe is the new one which replaced your fowled plug so probably hasn't run enough to get a color yet. The others look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    The first plug I believe is the new one which replaced your fowled plug so probably hasn't run enough to get a color yet. The others look ok.
    Hi guys, thanks again for the feedback... For what it's worth, I had replaced all 3 plugs. So all 3 in the pics were new. But... This project is dead now.

I just found out that I got scammed. The ski I purchased was a stolen machine. I found this out by entering the licence number on the government website yesterday. I got a message that it was a stolen item and that I should call my local police. YRP came to pick it up yesterday. I'm out my 3K+ and all the time I spent on this.

Expensive lesson learned. I am heartbroken though, embarrassed and ashamed.

I am still grateful because I learned a ton from you guys. Maybe I can revisit this someday and apply my knowledge to another machine. It was fun while it lasted. I hope the improved machine will bring joy to the rightful owner. I also hope they get the guy who scammed me.

Take care!

+1
    Hi guys, thanks again for the feedback... For what it's worth, I had replaced all 3 plugs. So all 3 in the pics were new. But... This project is dead now.

I just found out that I got scammed. The ski I purchased was a stolen machine. I found this out by entering the licence number on the government website yesterday. I got a message that it was a stolen item and that I should call my local police. YRP came to pick it up yesterday. I'm out my 3K+ and all the time I spent on this.

Expensive lesson learned. I am heartbroken though, embarrassed and ashamed.

I am still grateful because I learned a ton from you guys. Maybe I can revisit this someday and apply my knowledge to another machine. It was fun while it lasted. I hope the improved machine will bring joy to the rightful owner. I also hope they get the guy who scammed me.

Take care!
    ah jesus man that sucks big time.....if your ever out my way and want to ride let me know...i have 4 right now, get some time on a old polaris.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

I just found out that I got scammed. The ski I purchased was a stolen machine. I found this out by entering the licence number on the government website yesterday. I got a message that it was a stolen item and that I should call my local police. ...
    What web site was this?

Which number? The HIN number plate on the rear desk or the number on the side of the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    ah jesus man that sucks big time.....if your ever out my way and want to ride let me know...i have 4 right now, get some time on a old polaris.
    I was getting this ready to take to my cottage in Quebec. Thank you for the offer. Very generous of you. Hopefully I can recover from this and maybe buy another one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information