Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Update! So the rain let off a little. With the new battery and the clean carbs (I don't think they were very dirty in the first place). I connected water hose, I poured a little premix in the carbs, (gas on this time), choke on and boom, it started as expected. I revved it a couple times, then ran over and turned the water on. Revved it a litte more. Ran back and turned water off, then turned off the machine. (The water exercise is because I read somewhere that you are supposed to start the motor before turning water on. Then stop water before stopping the machine to allow the machine to expell the water.)

Finally, I thought that I should try starting it again without the starter fluid trick. Sure enough it fired right up. I don't want to jinx it, but tomorrow should be a nice sunny day to try testing it in the water again.

I feel like I've learned a ton these past 2 days due to 32DegH2O, savageman69, and K447. Thank you so much you guys. I will update tomorrow as to machine in the water. As was suggested, it was likely just the battery. Hope this is truly the case.

As for the Seafoam, I will add it to my next fresh tank of gas. It might help clean up any remaining issues with the fuel system.

AWA Member
    +1
    One BIG gotcha item to check...when you put the carbs back on...did you make sure when reconnecting the oil pump cable, that the oil pump lever is going in the right direction? When you disconnect the oil pump cable from the carbs, that lever is spring loaded and will turn backwards and sit there. So when you reconnect the cable, it will now pull the lever in the wrong direction...ie no oil being pumped into the carbs...ie ruin the engine. You may need a mirror to see the lever and check which way it is moving.

+1
    If you ever need a hand im done for a road trip...ive messed with 1050s and 1200s a bunch....sounds like your on the right track

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    One BIG gotcha item to check...when you put the carbs back on...did you make sure when reconnecting the oil pump cable, that the oil pump lever is going in the right direction? When you disconnect the oil pump cable from the carbs, that lever is spring loaded and will turn backwards and sit there. So when you reconnect the cable, it will now pull the lever in the wrong direction...ie no oil being pumped into the carbs...ie ruin the engine. You may need a mirror to see the lever and check which way it is moving.

I will take a picture and post in the morning. Is there an image somewhere so that I can compare? Cables were pretty tight and I had to wrestle with the carbs and springs in order to be able to reconnect everything. I doubt I could have messed that up. But I agree that I should check this since I really don't know what I'm doing. If choke on closes the lids, and throttle on revs the engine, wouldn't that mean that the oil cable is on correctly?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by veryfastracer View Post
    I will take a picture and post in the morning. Is there an image somewhere so that I can compare? Cables were pretty tight and I had to wrestle with the carbs and springs in order to be able to reconnect everything. I doubt I could have messed that up. But I agree that I should check this since I really don't know what I'm doing. If choke on closes the lids, and throttle on revs the engine, wouldn't that mean that the oil cable is on correctly?
    no the oil cable is separate and only connected by a arm that joins it with the throttle cable...very possible to not be hooked up...and its very easy to mess up the pump arm on the front of the motor. Put your phone down there and snap a picture...i will look for a stock photo to show you

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    If you ever need a hand im done for a road trip...ive messed with 1050s and 1200s a bunch....sounds like your on the right track
    Will see what the water test brings up. Anytime you wanna make the drive, let me know. I'll have a cold beer ready for you. I'm sure that one look at the machine and you'll be able to give me tons of info.

Thanks again for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    no the oil cable is separate and only connected by a arm that joins it with the throttle cable...very possible to not be hooked up...and its very easy to mess up the pump arm on the front of the motor. Put your phone down there and snap a picture...i will look for a stock photo to show you
    Perfect. Will post in the morning. Thank you for caring enough to avoid me a ton of heartache.

Perfect. Will post in the morning. Thank you for caring enough to avoid me a ton of heartache.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200519_090010.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	461900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200519_090040.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	461899Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200519_085940.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	461901

Here are 3 pics that should show the connections for the 3 cables. Choke, gas and oil. Hoping that they are connected correctly.

Here is a short video of me squeezing the throttle. The gas cable pulls (tenses up) and the oil cable releases or loosens up when I squeeze the throttle. I believe that this is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Thank you for letting me know about this. Posted a video and pics of the connected cables. Hope that they are correct. I don't see any other way of connecting them.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

... Hoping that they are connected correctly.

The oil pump end of the oil control cable was the concern. It appears to be correctly connected in this photo.

When the thottle lever is squeezed the throttle cable AND the oil cable are tensioned and move together. The oil cable pulls the oil pump control arm upwards, on the left side of the engine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information