Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by veryfastracer View Post
    Just read something else on here with someone saying that when he's looking at the carbs and pumps the throttle, it takes a while for fuel to come out the needles. So I thought I'd try this. When I pump, fuel comes out to the 2 front carbs, but not the 3rd. Could this be something meaningful?
    those are not needles...they are accelerator pump fittings, that squirts fuel directly into the carbs on initial throttle to increase take off...has nothing to do with starting

I dont think you have a fuel supply issue as you just stated the fuel separator filled that means the pumps on the carbs are working and fuel is being pulled from the tank...I honestly think new battery and proper steps and it will run.
    However i strongly suggest you watch some videos and stuff and learn to remove and check the carbs, i feel its best to always take them off and apart to make sure they are clean....one plugged jet could cost you lots of money and headaches.

Easy to remove carbs..remove the 6 bolts on top...remove the fuel line in, 2 crank pulse lines (run to fuel pumps on the carb) fuel return line...all 3 oil lines....and unhook the cable linkages and they come out

New good battery, fuel selector on...full choke and crank it..soon as it fires choke off.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    ... Sea Foam ... put a few drops in the fuel separator. This will clean out the gas gunk or any water/moisture in the gas system as you ride. ...
    What is in SeaFoam?
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2630040

SeaFoam is just not especially/magically powerful. Some solvents, some alcohol, naphtha (white gasoline) and pale oil. The alcohol can only absorb a few percent water and the solvent ingredients are not super aggressive, especially when highly diluted in gasoline.

I suspect in many cases by the time SeaFoam is being considered or actually used, the machine is already getting attention because of whatever troubles it is having. My view is that it is the attention that makes the difference, not the SeaFoam. Things are being checked, inspected, cleaned. Engine is being started, revved up, worked and generally made to run. That moves old fuel through and consumed, and fresher fuel arrives in the carbs.

Adding SeaFoam somewhere along the way is probably not going to cause trouble, but I do not view it as critical or even important to most situations.

AWA Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What is in SeaFoam?
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2630040

SeaFoam is just not especially/magically powerful. Some solvents, some alcohol, naphtha (white gasoline) and pale oil. The alcohol can only absorb a few percent water and the solvent ingredients are not super aggressive, especially when highly diluted in gasoline.

I suspect in many cases by the time SeaFoam is being considered or actually used, the machine is already getting attention because of whatever troubles it is having. My view is that it is the attention that makes the difference, not the SeaFoam. Things are being checked, inspected, cleaned. Engine is being started, revved up, worked and generally made to run. That moves old fuel through and consumed, and fresher fuel arrives in the carbs.

Adding SeaFoam somewhere along the way is probably not going to cause trouble, but I do not view it as critical or even important to most situations.

I respect your knowledge and expertise...however, it has solved issues for many people that I know...and I'm no spring chicken at this stuff. Yes, it's more of a maintenance thing than a quick fix solution as it works over time. It can help prevent a person, who's NOT mechanical, from having to pull the carbs off and apart to clean them as you know that is quite a bit of work to do...especially for a beginner...as the poster states in their first post of their lack of mechanical skills. So I suggested it because it didn't sound like the gas issue, if there even is one, is an immediate thing but one that has slowly built up over time from the lack of maintenance and this could fix that. Again, MOST people don't take care of their stuff like you and I do and who knows what the previous owner did. Sea Foam will not cause any problems if you follow the instructions on the label. Sea Foam was specifically designed and engineered for 2-stroke jet skis.
    Last edited by 32DegH2O; 05-17-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    I respect your knowledge and expertise...however, it has solved issues for many people that I know...and I'm no spring chicken at this stuff. Yes, it's more of a maintenance thing than a quick fix solution as it works over time. It can help prevent a person, who's NOT mechanical, from having to pull the carbs off and apart to clean them as you know that is quite a bit of work to do...especially for a beginner...as the poster states in their first post of their lack of mechanical skills. So I suggested it because it didn't sound like the gas issue, if there even is one, is an immediate thing but one that has slowly built up over time from the lack of maintenance and this could fix that. Again, MOST people don't take care of their stuff like you and I do and who knows what the previous owner did. Sea Foam will not cause any problems if you follow the instructions on the label. Sea Foam was specifically designed and engineered for 2-stroke jet skis.
    Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. So, I picked up an AGM battery from Walmart. It is currently charging. I also decided that since I want to take care of this thing and try my best to keep it reliable, I should take off the carbs. So carbs are now off. Unlikely I will be doing any riding for the next couple of days, so a good time to look over carbs inside where it will be dry. I don't have a kit, but I just plan to clean them. If I find things that need replacing, then the wait will need to be longer. I did buy the seafoam as well. But I haven't put it in since I can't be sure I can start this thing normally yet. What if the gas is bad? No sense in adding seafoam into a tank of old gas. When I put it all back together, I will see if it runs with the new battery. Then I will add the seafoam as well. Hope to have this thing in good working order in a couple of days... If I've missed anything, please don't hesitate to tell me. Thanks again! So far, I'm loving this forum.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... What if the gas is bad? ...
    How old is the gasoline in the tank?

Have you extracted a fuel sample to examine?

If the gasoline is suspect then the fuel tank should be drained, cleaned, inspected. Then refill with fresh gasoline.

Fuel filter should be OEM and clean, and the rest of the fuel system must also be internally clean and 100% correct.

Have you read through the material found here?
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

No clue as to age of fuel. Seller said he used it last year and stabilized it. I'm guessing at things now while the new battery charges.

I have yet to locate the fuel filter (apparently there are 2 of them?) No clue as to where they are.

Thank you for the link. I have looked at it. I just can't find my bearings because there is so much there and my mechanical knowledge is very limited.

+1
    there should be no fuel filters as far as i know aside from the one in the water separator and the little ones in each carb....if someone added one in line this could be an issue it needs to be a low pressure filter or the carbs cant draw the fuel

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    there should be no fuel filters as far as i know aside from the one in the water separator and the little ones in each carb....if someone added one in line this could be an issue it needs to be a low pressure filter or the carbs cant draw the fuel
    Yeah, I don't see a fuel filter anywhere. I do see the little ones in the carbs.

Seeing as you are in London, ON. Wondering if you recommend a supplier for the keihin carb rebuild kits. Where do you get your parts.

Also, is it safe to just reassemble the carbs after cleaning without replacing all the parts? I didn't remove the diaphragm as it was on tight and didn't want to damage anything.

+1
    Yeah, I don't see a fuel filter anywhere. I do see the little ones in the carbs.

Seeing as you are in London, ON. Wondering if you recommend a supplier for the keihin carb rebuild kits. Where do you get your parts.

Also, is it safe to just reassemble the carbs after cleaning without replacing all the parts? I didn't remove the diaphragm as it was on tight and didn't want to damage anything.
    Where abouts are you? if your close and need help let me know.

Ahhh it sucks honestly the only place i know to get actual real oem carb kits is watcon.com....but the they aint cheap, and conversion and shipping really add up.

You can for sure clean them and put them back in..and NO dont mess with the diaphragms.....the only thing i advise is keep a close eye on plugs...piston wash and feel if all the jugs are getting the same temp roughly out in the water....and if it runs good then your alright they dont always need rebuilt. However if you plan to keep it and its something you love than spending the money to make it right is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    Where abouts are you? if your close and need help let me know.

Ahhh it sucks honestly the only place i know to get actual real oem carb kits is watcon.com....but the they aint cheap, and conversion and shipping really add up.

You can for sure clean them and put them back in..and NO dont mess with the diaphragms.....the only thing i advise is keep a close eye on plugs...piston wash and feel if all the jugs are getting the same temp roughly out in the water....and if it runs good then your alright they dont always need rebuilt. However if you plan to keep it and its something you love than spending the money to make it right is the way to go.
    Not that close unfortunately. I'm in Newmarket.
    So carbs have been cleaned. I took advantage of a break in the weather and reconnected everything. But I'm an idiot!!! Grrr.

Tried to run it. It turned over right away... Then died! Guess what? Fuel off! Obviously, because I had disconnected the fuel to the carbs.

Fuel back on, it won't start. I had to stop because the rain started again. So here's the plan:

When the rain stops, I will take the airbox off and prime the carbs. It's started like that before. Hopefully I can get it to run long enough for me to give it throttle and try to get the gas circulating a bit. Maybe there is no gas getting to it yet because of the disconnection...

I can connect it to a hose. How long can I run it with water hose on? Can I go for 2 minutes? More?

If this doesn't work, I'm going to syphon the gas out and replace with new gas. Maybe the gas is older than what the seller said.

I can't wait to get this thing going. Dying to take it to lake Simcoe and give it a whirl.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In regards to pistons and jugs, I haven't looked at that because I know it can turn over when I poor premix in the carbs. I heard it running and it sounds great. I also know that compression is 140 on all 3 carbs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information