96 STLX 1050 Fuel switch/sender delete.

Hi all,
    New to the forum but I have been a lurker for some time. I'm a huge motor head and usually stick to vehicles on wheels but decided to venture into the floating machines. Quick run down of the project I'm working on, I received a 96 STLX 1050 with a damaged hull for a very small price tag. Pulled the engine, electrical, jet pump, and pretty much everything else out of the hull. I've decided to fabricate the power plant into a little Jon boat as a fun project to tool around on with the family on there skis.

The ski was original, I preformed the stator/CDI update, and I'm working to button the machine up to fire the engine to ensure it runs before proceeding with mounting it in the tiny boat. I dont have the fuel level sender, was not able to remove it from the tank in the hull. (should have chopped a 'service hole' but its too late for that). Is there a way to bypass the low fuel switch to prevent the machine from going into limp mode? I thought to slap a 33ohm resistor in to fake out the switch into thinking it has a full tank, but I don't know how much current would be needed to determine the resistor capacity. Also, I don't see the low fuel/heat switch in the FSM, just plug and play the wires by color?

That said, I know having a fuel gauge is a good thing. I live on a small lake, and the machine wouldn't be taken out for too long. Longest paddle home would be a half mile or so. I wont have the vertical room for an OEM sender anyhow, fuel tank closely resembles a pancake.

Thanks all,

Tanner

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk.

The 96 SLTX had a few things a bit different from other models. Most important is the limiter LR module.
    I'm not sure it plays well with the update/Gen3 style CDI.

The grey CDI wire with the flat blade style connecter is for the limiter, I would leave that wire disconnected.

Are you using the MFD display ? That would be the only reason to worry about a resister for fuel. And yes 33ohms is the exact resister to read full.

Temp warning is the sensor on the exhaust manifold, tan wire. It simply grounds when temp is high enough. Pretty easy to hool up a warning light if not using the MFD.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeekycurd View Post
    ... I dont have the fuel level sender, was not able to remove it from the tank in the hull. (should have chopped a 'service hole' but its too late for that).

Is there a way to bypass the low fuel switch to prevent the machine from going into limp mode? I thought to slap a 33ohm resistor in to fake out the switch into thinking it has a full tank, but I don't know how much current would be needed to determine the resistor capacity.

Just unplug the colored wire from the fuel sender.
    That will disable the fuel MFD level and there will not be a low fuel warning.

33 ohm resistor not needed.
    If you still want to use the resistor method a 1/2 watt resistor is plenty.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I do very greatly appreciate your time sharing knowledge.

I should have noted that I did plan to retain the MDF display, but Casey67, your comment about a quick warning light is a great idea, simple circuit. Happen to know what voltage this light needs to be? If I were to delete the display as well as the MDF switch, just unplug it all and it should run fine?

Just to clarify, the MDF switch is the device with the pink, grey, brown and red/pur wires, correct? Google is only showing the regulator with orange, yellow and red/pur when searched.

Thanks again,
    Tanner

+1
    The MFD display will work just fine. The temp warning will work on it.
    The fuel gauge should have the 33 ohm resistor to show full. When empty-it interrupts display to show "low fuel".

What you refer to as "the MDF switch is the device with the pink, grey, brown and red/pur wires, correct?" Is a LR module used for limiting the rpm when it receives a signal from temp or fuel. I would remove that. It was used on just a couple models in 96.
    The fuel gauge and temp warning will work with out it.

You can look up parts here; http://parts.polarisind.com/Advanced...ncedSearch.asp
    Much more accurate at showing what you ski was built with.

To the scrap bin it goes! Thanks Casey67, makes sense why I have been having a hard time finding images of the device. And thank you for the link, great resource! Ill pull that part out and see if any other issues come about when I try to fire the engine up.

Very impressed with the support on this forum, glad to be a part of the community and I'm looking forward to being able to give back someday.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If you have nothing connected for a fuel level sender it should work just like the oil gauge with nothing connected. Shouldnt trip any warning or low fuel messages. The 33-240 ohm fuel sender is a pretty standard thing. You could connect any fuel sender that uses this range and it will work

Thread Information