Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2007 VX fuel pump symptoms

I think the fuel pump on my 2007 VX cruiser is going bad - it has new spark plugs, replaced the coil's, emptied the gas tank and filled it with fresh gas..it would run fine on the hose, I took it out Saturday. Put it in the water and straight away it wouldn't idle after I took my finger off the throttle getting away from the boat launch and would do this the whole time on the lake, it reached full speed 2 or 3 times in the first 5 minutes then started surging...the surging would come and go but it was at its worse when I had the throttle pinned, it wasn't as bad at half or three quarter throttle. Took it too the beach to see if anything obvious was wrong and couldn't get it going again. Got it home and put new plugs in, the ones I took out were covered in a white powder which wiped off. Eventually got it running again and after 30 or 40 seconds of idling it would die.

Anyone who has had a fuel pump go bad on their VX experience something similar?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I think the fuel pump on my 2007 VX cruiser is going bad -

new plugs in, the ones I took out were covered in a white powder which wiped off.
    A very good indicator of low fuel pressure is the white coating on the sparkplugs, it is a sign that the engine is running very lean. Sounds like a bad pump, or internal fuel pressure regulator, or clogged fuel sock. Do a fuel pressure test should have about 53 psi if you have a stock setup.

C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 05-14-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Appreciate the help CJ.

+1
    Appreciate the help CJ.
    My pleasure. Keep us updated on what you find out

As far as I know it's a stock set up - just tested the fuel pressure, held 50psi, didnt drop off just before it died either, it dropped to 43-45 after it died after running 30 to 45 seconds

+1
    As far as I know it's a stock set up - just tested the fuel pressure, held 50psi, didnt drop off just before it died either, it dropped to 43-45 after it died after running 30 to 45 seconds
    The fuel pressure you stated is holding between 50-53, so fuel pump can pump to 53 psi and the regulator is holding the fuel at 53 psi.

First Test
    That seems to be working properly, the fuel pump and regulator.
    I would apply a constant 12 volts to the fuel pump with a pressure gauge and see if the pressure falls off or listen for the fuel pump to slow down or stop.

Second Test
    Then
    do a fuel volume test allow fuel to flow into the container for 15 seconds. Most fuel pumps will produce at least one-pint of flow in this time. This involves pumping gasoline into an open container at a high rate, which poses obvious safety risks.

Be careful Jon doing this test

If the fuel pump fails anyone of the tests, you will need a pump.

C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 05-14-2020 at 08:40 AM.

+1
    clean your fuel injectors , they are clogged up and do not have a good spray pattern. .

Applying the 12V - would that be just running the ski? I ran it for about a minute and the pressure didn't change. How would I apply 12V to the pump?

Should have mentioned I cleaned the injectors once I got it home on Saturday... appreciate the suggestion

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    i've replaced a number of VX fuel pumps last season. if you use ethanol gas the rubber bumpers at the bottom of the pump has reached their end of life for ethanol exposure, are turning gummy and screwing up the works

I already have two appointments for this season ( assuming I ever open) for folks that tried to start their 2007/8 skis and had a no start situation, even after priming the jugs with a little fuel, they get a second of two of runtime, then nada

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information