Transporting jet ski + trailer

I need to move my jet ski and trailer cross country. I would rather not drive the trailer, as it has little wheels. Has anybody put a PWC and trailer, together, onto a different trailer for long distance hauling purposes? If so, what type of trailer did you use (I assume an auto transport trailer would be too wide for this purpose)? Was the jet ski transported facing forward or backward? Alternatively, any experience with any transport companies that would haul instead?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are transport companies that can move a PWC + trailer.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3026559

Alternatives;

Fit larger wheels and tires on your current trailer.

Sell the current trailer and buy a nicer/larger trailer that has, or can fit, larger wheels and tires.

Install a new set of 'small' tires on the trailer. Small tires can handle distance, if they are fresh and fully inflated. And not overloaded.

Whatever trailer you use for the trip, wheel bearings are just as critical as the tires.
    Grease the bearings, check for wear/wobble.

Never use trailer tires that are more than six years old. Especially if they have been mostly sitting.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Welcome aboard, mareunderum!

I've had very good luck with the radial tires that are available now.

I did sell a SeaDoo & trailer to a guy last year that hauled the whole combination off on a car hauler type trailer. The hard part was getting it on the trailer, but at least it was an older, lightweight 'Ski.

+1
    I agree with Steve. Radial tires are the way to go. Alternately, go with wide tires.

And pack a spare tire, a jack, some tools and one or two spare hubs with greased bearings. In the event of a breakdown, you can be back on your way in no time.

Where are you heading from and to?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, mareunderum!

I've had very good luck with the radial tires that are available now.

I did sell a SeaDoo & trailer to a guy last year that hauled the whole combination off on a car hauler type trailer. The hard part was getting it on the trailer, but at least it was an older, lightweight 'Ski.
    Unfortunately ours is heavy. I can't remember how heavy, but it's a three person with a large engine (I've been told), so heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    I agree with Steve. Radial tires are the way to go. Alternately, go with wide tires.

And pack a spare tire, a jack, some tools and one or two spare hubs with greased bearings. In the event of a breakdown, you can be back on your way in no time.

Where are you heading from and to?

Florida to Vermont. So some nice roads, and some not so nice roads. I'll look into what my trailer is capable of managing tire wise. Otherwise for convenience it might just be easier to hire somebody.

Thanks for the input everybody!

+1
    I shipped my ski from Scottsdale, AZ to Huntsville, AL in a enclosed trailer on a ski dolley. for 600 on Uship.

they seemed trailer or dolley was around same price. when quoting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mareundarum View Post
    Unfortunately ours is heavy. I can't remember how heavy, but it's a three person with a large engine (I've been told), so heavy!
    How big are your wheels? You can buy load range E radial tires for 12" wheels that will easily handle a single 'Ski. Smaller wheels, you're stuck with bias ply tires with load load ratings.

Mareundarum.. going to Lake Champlain?

Thread Information