Virage TX 1200 won't go over 3000 RPM

First of all, I'm new here so thanks for your help!
    This is a 2000 Polaris Virage TX 1200, carb not FI. This is new to me, hasn't been used in several years per the previous owner. It has about 200 hours.
    I drained the fuel, replaced all the gray Tempo fuel lines, cleaned everything fuel related. Pulled the carbs and rebuilt, low needle at 1 1/8. Replaced the plugs with BR9ES, replaced the CDI and plug wires. Compression in all cylinders is 105-115. The LR seems to be a potential problem (the start/stop will not work about 20% of the time).
    The ski will start, run, and rev up to 7k out of the water.
    Problem - in the water it will not rev over 3k and it stumbles off idle. It acts just like it's hitting a rev limiter. Nothing on the MFI indicates that it's getting hot. I've worked the reverse lever many times and it's def not in reverse. As soon as it gets put on the trailer and pulled out of the water it revs up to 7k again. I'm at a complete loss. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

+1
    In the water, do all cylinders feel equally warm ?
    Could test for spark on all 3.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

On the trailer you can do the single cylinder at a time check.

AWA Member
    +1
    Not that this will address your issue but just an FYI, the stock compression is 135psi on that ski,

so yeah the top end probably needs to be done as well.

Thanks, didnt check the temp of the cylinders, and didn't think to check for a miss. It was dead on 3k rpms so it felt like a limiter. I will check this in the water next weekend. Thanks

Thank you. I've literally read every one of your tech tips and stickies for the past few weeks. Tons of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

On the trailer you can do the single cylinder at a time check.

Problem solved, thanks for the replies. I humbly admit that I didn't check the firing order, expecting that the previous owner would have had it correct. Laser thermometer made it easy.
    The E-box was wired 123 - pulled the coil and rewired it 132 correctly. Simple fix and I appreciate the hundreds of pages and wealth of info you guys have put together to help folks out!

From the ebox, Top cable goes to C2, Middle cable goes to C1 and Bottom cable goes to C3. This is how mine is wired and I believe that this is correct... so I must have a different issue. Because mine is doing the same thing.
    Last edited by veryfastracer; 05-19-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: I understand better

AWA Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by veryfastracer View Post
    From the ebox, Top cable goes to C2, Middle cable goes to C1 and Bottom cable goes to C3. This is how mine is wired and I believe that this is correct... so I must have a different issue. Because mine is doing the same thing.

Do all 3 cylinders get warm? If not, you might just have a fowled plug. Put new spark plugs in and see if it fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Do all 3 cylinders get warm? If not, you might just have a fowled plug. Put new spark plugs in and see if it fixes the problem.
    Yes, that was it. Much better now. But still not full power yet. Have a few more ideas to try thanks to you guys!

Thread Information