Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fx svho power loss

Hey guys,
    I am searching for answer to my problem with my 2015 fx cruiser svho. At Around 45mph, 6000rpm during crusing or accelerating hard the power suddenly cuts of and it makes a rattling noise around the engine. I go of the accelerator and it feels a clutch is engaging and all vibration is gone. I can accelerate as normal and the power is back until I hit the same spot. I checked the intake hose to the SC and twice it came of a bit. I checked the rpms during this issue and they go up to 7000. I checked the SC clutch and I can turn it only in one way. The gears are looking good, no marks and it is spinning freely in one way. The SC impeller shaft bearings are bit loose but there is no wear on the SC impeller or the housing yet. (I don't know how much play is allowed on the SC shaft)
    I checked and resealed the impeller and housing and the clearance between impeller and wear housing, seams fine. I have checked this in anticipation of cavitation.
    I am out of ideas, please give me some.
    Olaf

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetski fx View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am searching for answer to my problem with my 2015 fx cruiser svho. At Around 45mph, 6000rpm during crusing or accelerating hard the power suddenly cuts of and it makes a rattling noise around the engine. I go of the accelerator and it feels a clutch is engaging and all vibration is gone. I can accelerate as normal and the power is back until I hit the same spot. I checked the intake hose to the SC and twice it came of a bit. I checked the rpms during this issue and they go up to 7000. I checked the SC clutch and I can turn it only in one way. The gears are looking good, no marks and it is spinning freely in one way. The SC impeller shaft bearings are bit loose but there is no wear on the SC impeller or the housing yet. (I don't know how much play is allowed on the SC shaft)
    I checked and resealed the impeller and housing and the clearance between impeller and wear housing, seams fine. I have checked this in anticipation of cavitation.
    I am out of ideas, please give me some.
    Olaf
    Hello Jetski and welcome to the forum here.
    How many hours on the ski?
    Has the clutch been replaced before and at what hours then.

Still without that info, it does sound like a clutch on it`s way out. Still post the hours on the ski.

C J

Hi cj,
    Thanks fur your replay. The ski has 230 hours and its not known that the clutch was changed in the past but certainly not recently. Can it be the clutch despite its spinning only in one direction?

Olaf

Cj,
    Do you know why the inlet house of the SC is coming of?

Olaf

Check all the hose clamps on the exhaust system, they can break and under power the exhaust gas can leak into the engine compartment. this will block up the air filter too eventually if it happens.

+1
    Cj,
    Do you know why the inlet house of the SC is coming of?

Olaf
    It sounds like to me that the volute of the supercharger has not been pinned. You can see if it has already been pinned, looking at the housing there is a small screw., can be seen by a quick inspection. Is there a screw there or not? Please post... Do not start that engine till you know for sure, could cause damage the housing. That could be the " suddenly cuts off and it makes a rattling noise around the engine. " that could be the rattling noise you are hearing?

In the circle is the pin or screw. Do you see it on yours?

Copyright Greenhulk

C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 04-26-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Hi cj,
    No there is no srew in but the part is tight and the impeller is not touching the body but will put one srew in.

Cheers olaf

+1
    Hi cj,
    No there is no srew in but the part is tight and the impeller is not touching the body but will put one srew in.

Cheers olaf
    Very good, so the volute is not touching the turbine wheel, so most likely the noise or rattle you are hearing and the power loss is from a supercharger clutch going bad. Now to confirm your diagnosis is to remove the supercharger clutch for visual inspection and if it is bad order replacement parts. If you use this greenhulk store you will get some good service and say GREENHULK and get 10 percent off your order. You might want a repair manual too, so to know torque specs etc.

Was not all that bad was it???? You are on your way to fixing it yourself.

Anything else before I log out?

Ps please look up on Greenhulk for the known problem of the volute becoming loose, Pinning the volute

Please post your outcome and any questions you may have. Till then..

Take Care Jetski fx
    C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Very good, so the volute is not touching the turbine wheel, so most likely the noise or rattle you are hearing and the power loss is from a supercharger clutch going bad. Now to confirm your diagnosis is to remove the supercharger clutch for visual inspection and if it is bad order replacement parts. If you use this greenhulk store you will get some good service and say GREENHULK and get 10 percent off your order. You might want a repair manual too, so to know torque specs etc.

Was not all that bad was it???? You are on your way to fixing it yourself.

Anything else before I log out?

Ps please look up on Greenhulk for the known problem of the volute becoming loose, Pinning the volute

Please post your outcome and any questions you may have. Till then..

Take Care Jetski fx
    C J
    Ive never heard of a walked volute causing rattle or noise,,,,if it walks its complete catastrophic failue to wheel ,housing,and or broken shaft,,, however the advice on "pinning" is absolutely recommended,,,,,, as far as the clutch passing the " only freewheeling in one direction" test,,,,,that just rules out complete failure,,, your clutch can operate " normally" under low to mid boost and rpm levels,,,but will slip under higher or full boost. ,,,,,,,,,, If you have ruled out any boost leaks, (intercooler/ charger hoses,,blow of if you have one,,, last place to check is the throttle body damper,,, ,they have a kown history to leak boost at high rpm. Easy way to rule that out is to,,,, start ski,,,generously wiggle thrott body inlet hose,,,,,if engine idle increases,,,, it is leaking. If all this checks out. Looks like you will need a clutch

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Now to confirm your diagnosis is to remove the supercharger clutch for visual inspection and if it is bad order replacement parts.
    you really can't tell visually if the clutch has gone bad, unless it's actually blown up, at which point you have way more problems than the clutch.

if clutch is gone, ski doesn't accelerate hard to 45, then cuts off power and cruises...it just slowly gets to 45 or so then stays there. i'm sure you can tell if the supercharger is engaged or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information