Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speeder View Post
    you really can't tell visually if the clutch has gone bad, unless it's actually blown up,
    Yes you can make a visual inspection, and know if the clutch is bad or not and based some on the hours of the ski. When the clutch is disassembled and the sprang is removed. You will see the surface or sprag most times.. not all the time, is gauged or blued from heat from and/or the clutch slipping or chattering.

Take Care
    C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Yes you can make a visual inspection, and know if the clutch is bad or not and based some on the hours of the ski. When the clutch is disassembled and the sprang is removed. You will see the surface or sprag most times.. not all the time, is gauged or blued from heat from and/or the clutch slipping or chattering.

Take Care
    C J
    if it rotates both ways, you already know it's done. no need to "visually" inspect it. you're also not going to know anything based on the hours on the ski as clutches can last less than 10 hours or last hundreds of hours.

so if your clutch is only rotating one way which suggests it is basically fine, you suggest to the guy to take it out, and take the sprag out to inspect it? what do you expect to find? this makes no sense at all. you're not going to know how much hours is left in the clutch, even if you can put it back together properly.

i have replaced 3 clutches on my ski, and a new one looks just like the old one. There is no bluing on any outer surfaces, and if the clutch is done, why would you take it apart?

I guess in an odd way, you are right, you can visually inspect it by taking it all apart and putting it under a microscope to look for any abnormalities, but what's the point?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post

Take Care
    C J
    100% agreed. I think most guys automatically assume when the clutch goes,,,,it ends up in pieces,,,,, or always freewheels both directions. Not the case. They ususlly tend to slip first,,,,, masking the real problem and leaving you assuming the problem lies somewhere else

+1
    if it rotates both ways, you already know it's done. no need to "visually" inspect it.

why would you take it apart?
    The more information you can get about a ski and it`s history of repairs is part of doing a good diagnostics for someone. This case the pinning was never done and the ski has 230 hours and the clutch he was not certain about ever being replaced. The ski was loosing power, making a rattling noise and he doubled checked the hoses and supercharger. The turbine wheel did only rotate in one direction, which does not mean much as you know.

Why take it apart you ask?
    Well to see if something is out of the realm with the clutch. Also there is a updated clutch bolt that should be replaced with the clutch which is all part of the visual inspection or drill out the oil passage in the bolt to 6 mm .

If there is a updated clutch bolt holding the clutch to the crank after doing the visual inspection, then by deductive reasoning we could say the clutch has been replaced before.

Note... For the hoses that are under pressure from the supercharger, a thing to do to the hoses to make them go on easier and to help them to stay on is to use some hairspray inside the hoses. The lacquer will dry as glue and help hold them in place.

Good questions btw

Take Care Speeder
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 04-27-2020 at 03:20 PM.

+1
    ///
    Last edited by speeder; 04-27-2020 at 12:22 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamafzs View Post
    100% agreed. I think most guys automatically assume when the clutch goes,,,,it ends up in pieces,,,,, or always freewheels both directions. Not the case. They ususlly tend to slip first,,,,, masking the real problem and leaving you assuming the problem lies somewhere else
    if the clutch is slipping, ski will be jerky at speed. that's not what op is noticing on his ski. plus you're not going to be able to tell it's slipping by visually inspecting it. so still don't know what the point of taking the clutch out to look at it is. if you're going to the trouble of taking it out for no particular reason, might as well put a new one in.

+1
    might as well put a new one in.
    That is what Jetski fx is doing Speeder, we decided the clutch is bad and he should be ordering the parts soon.

+1
    if the clutch is slipping, ski will be jerky at speed. that's not what op is noticing on his ski. plus you're not going to be able to tell it's slipping by visually inspecting it. so still don't know what the point of taking the clutch out to look at it is. if you're going to the trouble of taking it out for no particular reason, might as well put a new one in.
    We can go round and round with this,,,, it was my understanding the op was going to replace his clutch. Cjk mentioned to do a visual to clutch upon removal to potentially "see obvious signs " as some will infact show an obvious signature of failure ,,,and as you stated,,, "some do not" maybe i mis read,,,but i didnt hear anybody suggest to remove clutch for the sole purpose of just a visual. If i misread or mispoke. I apologized in advance,,,,, as far as slipping clutch causing the ski to behave in a " jerky" attilude,,,,,this is new to me,,,and not common behavior of a compromised clutch,,,,, however i must recognize that we have all been exposed to different experiences and i do not discredit anybod else's insight!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information