Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

2008 RXT-X 255 issues

I apologize if this is the wrong thread but Iím kind of at a loss and hoping some of you that are much smarter than I can lend me some advice. Iíve had the ski for about a year (it has 35 legit hours on it, it was owned by someone who was terrified of it and it basically sat for 8 years in storage), last ride it had threw a po520 code and we limped it back to the dock loaded it up and took it home.

Full disclosure, I had some health problems last year and the ski sat from late last summer until a few weeks ago. Gas did not smell right so we drained the tank and put fresh non-e fuel back in.

We replaced the oil pressure switch and things went sideways.

To be clear, it will fire as soon as we touch the button and before the motor turns over at all it dies, like it loses spark or fuel and to add insult to injury now the display is throwing po351, 352 and 353 codes.

Weíve been thru every connection on this ski 5 times, been thru all the troubleshooting steps in the shop manual for the coil packs. Injectors are firing, Iím getting great spark, have cleaned every ground meticulously and checked every fuse. Interestingly on the fuses, the CAPS fuse didnít appear blown but had no continuity (and did throw a 344 code) we replaced it and code is now gone but to ensure I am not leaving any info out I thought I would add that as well to our ďdiscoveriesĒ.

Also... something else very interesting was when we started to replace the oil pressure switch, all three cylinders seemed to be saturated with engine oil and much to my surprise the crank had probably 1.5 quarts more of oil that it should have. So we also pulled that out and ensured it had the normal correct level. That was also very odd to me as I didnít detect a gas smell in the oil (like if an injector dumped fuel) and it wasnít that way the last time I rode it.

I am really struggling to wrap my head around why ALL THREE coil packs gave up the ghost simultaneously... Iím a former Navy ET, so I kinda feel like I know my way around a wire diagram, NOTHING outside of the ECM is common outside of the 4 pin connector for injectors and coils and we have been thru it twice (no signs of corrosion) and we are getting fire and fuel...

I donít have a candoo or the BUDs diag tool, but Iím not opposed to dropping the money on it if someone can tell me that either would help further troubleshoot the ski. I.E. either or one specifically will actually run a diagnosis on the ECM or do something other than read the codes we already know about. (Not trying time seem cynical there but this is just comical now)

One last thing, we actually swapped coil packs out from a known good ski and still get the same result.

please help me and squelch the controlling emotions I currently have to drag it into the yard and light fire to this dang thing right now...
    Last edited by hightide610; 04-22-2020 at 12:24 PM.

+1

+1
    Did you install new spark plugs? Do that if you have not!
    Also, I would have the fuel injectors cleaned, they are probably gummed up due to bad gas from sitting up for 8 years.
    Your fuel pump also likely needs to be replaced.... very common on skis that have sat up for nearly a decade.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Did you install new spark plugs? Do that if you have not!
    Also, I would have the fuel injectors cleaned, they are probably gummed up due to bad gas from sitting up for 8 years.
    Your fuel pump also likely needs to be replaced.... very common on skis that have sat up for nearly a decade.
    Thanks Jerry!

Replaced them with brand new NGK's very early on in the troubleshooting process, we pulled the rail out of the head and turned the motor over (mainly to see if anything was firing) and all three appear to fire the same, cleaning them is on the list of things to do, but something interesting that was noticed and hopefully someone can shed some light on this behavior (I have a suspicion) but after the motor turns over 10-15 (I am estimating) times they do stop firing... I am wondering if since the motor senses that there is no ignition that in order to NOT flood the motor out this is normal.

Fuel pressure on the rail is something that was also discussed but I don't have a gauge to measure, however it really seems as though what I see is normal coming out of the injectors, I know... "how can you visualize adequate pressure", so I will try and figure out that one and see what I come up with.

We also found a thread that talked about corrosion on the regulator, so we pulled the plug and nothing apparent there either.

I wish I could find a document that lists all of the things the Candoo diag tool can perform, I am more than willing to drop the money but I would kind of like to actually know what I am buying or expect to be able to use it for, but there isn't anything I found here and their site is very non-de script. I am sure its a good tool, but does it give you the ability to troubleshoot an ECM issue, flash an ECM, view live data, gather feedback from sensor operation.. etc... only thing that is clear is that there is error code data and you can reprogram a key.

Does anyone know which sensors are "required" to actually get it to fire and run, maybe its a crazy question, but I have seen issues with other vehicles where when a sensor went sideways it wouldn't allow the motor to run, so I was wondering if by chance these are the same... MAP or knock possibly?
    Last edited by hightide610; 04-22-2020 at 03:46 PM.

+1
    A bad map sensor will make the ski do all sorts of weird stuff...especially if it gets water in it...ecu tooo...???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboted View Post
    A bad map sensor will make the ski do all sorts of weird stuff...especially if it gets water in it...ecu tooo...???
    Same for a stuck IAC valve

+1
    Fuel pump, check fuel pressure.

check the plugs in the front coming out of the steering, also check the diagnostic plug, seem to be getting its power from the start button and stops when released, does that sound like what its doing. I've had this but cant remember the fix

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboted View Post
    Thank you for that insight... MAP is easy to clean and check, do you happen to know if the Candoo can run any diagnostics on the ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Same for a stuck IAC valve
    I am assuming here but is that a sensor that can be cleaned or just test and replace it if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Fuel pump, check fuel pressure.
    That is already in the list of things to check, I plan on pulling the pump assembly out to inspect it and replace the filter, still trying to figure out how best to test fuel pressure on this thing is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    check the plugs in the front coming out of the steering, also check the diagnostic plug, seem to be getting its power from the start button and stops when released, does that sound like what its doing. I've had this but cant remember the fix
    Interesting.. you talking about the voltage rectifier? We checked the diag plug, its super clean, really the only connections we have found to be questionable were grounds and we went thru them all with no change.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hightide610 View Post
    Thank you for that insight... MAP is easy to clean and check, do you happen to know if the Candoo can run any diagnostics on the ECU?

I am assuming here but is that a sensor that can be cleaned or just test and replace it if needed?

That is already in the list of things to check, I plan on pulling the pump assembly out to inspect it and replace the filter, still trying to figure out how best to test fuel pressure on this thing is going to be.

Interesting.. you talking about the voltage rectifier? We checked the diag plug, its super clean, really the only connections we have found to be questionable were grounds and we went thru them all with no change.

The IAC is located on the throttle body. If this were my ski, I'd replace the IAC, MAP, and intake manifold temp sensor, plus what Jerry said!

Also, change the oil/filter coolant, carbon seal, hat, bellows, and C clip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information